Search for content in message boards

1890 Index for Census?

1890 Index for Census?

Posted: 9 Aug 2002 4:56AM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Brazel / Woelfel / Fetter / Lutz / Heintz / Eitl
Is there an Index available for the 1890 NY Census? I hope to find MARTIN WOELFEL, a Tailor in Brooklyn.
Thanks,
Carol

Re: 1890 Index for Census?

Bob Read (View posts)
Posted: 9 Aug 2002 11:51AM GMT
There are only a few of the names on the 1890 Census still surviving. The bulk of the Census was destroyed in a fire.

What does survive however is the Civil War Veterans Schedule. If the person you are intereted in was a Veteran, he would be listed in that. There is an index for the schedule.

Bob

Posted: 14 Aug 2002 2:44PM GMT
Hi Bob,

I'm not sure about Civil War involvement, he would have been between the age of 42 and 46 during that time. Wouldn't that have been too old to serve? I have indication that he died in August of 1891, at 72 yrs. old and is buried at Most Holy Trinity Cemetery, Brooklyn. Found him by accident, while checking gravesite for a known Great grandfather. My great grandfather was a tavern owner, along with two sisters. 1900 Census names another Martin, as a Liquor dealer, who could have been yet another sibling of my GGgrandfather. These are all new roads to travel.

As of now I don't know when Martin immigrated. Have applied for a death cert. and hope to get something more to go on, but of course, don't know how much info will be provided.

Any and all help appreciated.
Thanks,
Carol

Bob Read (View posts)
Posted: 14 Aug 2002 3:36PM GMT
Actually, Civil War Soldiers served at many ages, including their 40s. It might be worth a try anyway.

You might be able to try the 1870 and 1880 censuses if you have any indication of where they lived.

Good luck,

Bob

Posted: 14 Aug 2002 4:38PM GMT
Brooklyn/Queens are the only locations I'm sure of, but I never say never. Thanks
Carol

Posted: 17 Jul 2007 3:03PM GMT
In Hew York, there was an 1890 Police census, available in NY State Archives and the NYC Municipal Archives; it's not perfect, but it's something, if youre' searching Manhattan/New York County. The city gov't felt the 1890 federal was mismanaged and undercounted, so they ordered the police to take their own. There were significant differences in the tallies. This mistrust also was one factor for the state of NY reinstituting the state census, which had last been taken in 1875, and in 1892, they took a state census. The next was in 1905, then '15 and '25. Although Ancestry have asome bits up, there are other resources, including through the Stevemorse.org site. There are no indices, but that site, and others, can run AD/ED conversions to help you out. Take that list of conversions to the NYC Muni Archives or a NY State Archives site, and you can get them. You can also write to the folks at NY Muni Archives, and usually get good results, they've always been really nice to me, and I've been there a few dozen times.

-Ray

Posted: 20 Jul 2007 8:20AM GMT
Email me at CBFitzsimmons@aol.com to share photos.

I have never gotten to go to the Municipal Archives. We are always in a vehicle, and there's no where to park the darn thing.
I have only sent off for searches by mail, from them.

Another side of the family---Kirik/Kirks, Camerons, Hinz/Heintz were in Manhatten for many decades, and it would be interesting to fill that 1880-1900 gap. The Lutzes were there then too, before moving to Brooklyn.
Do the AD/ED conversions work out the same as with the regular censuses? I remember years ago, before the indexes online, having to deal with all of that, but I'm out of practice now.
I will surely check out the site.

Thanks,
Carol

Posted: 20 Jul 2007 1:55PM GMT
Martin Woelfel appears in the 1890 Brooklyn city directory as a tailor living at 147 Stagg St. in Williamsburg. He is also listed at that same address in the 1886 city directory. I did not find him or any other Woelfels at that location in 1891 and later directories.

A Philippeana [sic] Woelfel, widow of Louis, was listed at various addresses for a number of years in Williamsburg. Her location in the 1889 volume was at 273 Stagg St.

Re: 1890 Index for Census? Williamsburg, Brooklyn

Posted: 28 Jul 2007 8:27PM GMT
I was researching street name changes in Brooklyn. One of these sites mentions the Williamsburg section of Brooklyn but I can't remember which one:

http://www.forgotten-ny.com/streetnecrology/Bklyn%20Necrolog...

http://www.brooklyn.net/neighborhoods/obsolete_street_names....
per page

Find a board about a specific topic