Search for content in message boards

Pennsylvania Native Americans in the Early 1800s

Pennsylvania Native Americans in the Early 1800s

Posted: 1 Apr 2010 1:39AM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 1 Apr 2010 4:31AM GMT
Can anyone tell me which tribes may been living in Pennsylvania around 1815 to 1820?

Re: Pennsylvania Native Americans in the Early 1800s

Posted: 1 Apr 2010 5:48AM GMT
There were no Indians living in western Pennsylvania in that time period as they had left the area during the late 1700s. Before that, it was mainly hunting grounds with no real permanent Indian settlements.

Posted: 7 May 2010 9:35AM GMT
Hi,

There were several tribes that lived in Pa in the early 1800's. Location is important. Mohawk, Onondoga, Deleware ect. Exactly when and where is important.

Pennsylvania state has history of native americans on one of it's web sites. Some tribes were driven off to other states. One tribe still fights for recognition.

Good Luck in your endevor

Posted: 7 May 2010 9:40AM GMT
Oh,

I am native American. My family lived in PA from the 1700 to about 1900. There were and are lots of Native American's living in Pa. I'm not sure why the other person posted that, but there are lots of sites to assist you with your quest. Most will tell you to learn your history first.

Most tribe members were driven out, not all. There are still Native American's there. WE ARE NOT GONE, JUST DON'T HAVE RESERVATIONS.

Best Regards

Posted: 6 Jun 2011 1:06PM GMT
Forest2009

It would be helpful if you could provide a list of Federally or State Recognized Tribes/Nation currently located in Pennsylvania.

Kathy Roberts
VA

Posted: 2 Jul 2013 4:40AM GMT
I am also a descendent of the Native Americans who lived in PA in the early 1800's and onward....just because we are not recognized by the U.S. government, does not mean that we do not exist. Government recognition is just a way to continue with the genocide. 6 out of 10 Americans who had family in the U.S. from the 1600's have Native blood and don't even know it.

Posted: 10 Jul 2014 5:36AM GMT
That's not true. My relatives were full blood Native Americans in Verona, Pa (western Pennsylvania) in the 1800s.

Posted: 10 Jul 2014 5:39AM GMT
My relatives are full blooded Native American. One of the tribes were black foot, Algonquin, I can't exactly remember all. Here's some links:
http://www.bchistory.org/beavercounty/BeaverCountyTopical/Na...
http://www.accessgenealogy.com/native/pennsylvania-indian-tr...

Posted: 10 Jul 2014 5:40AM GMT
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions