Search for content in message boards

LETTSOME

LETTSOME

Allen Lettsome (View posts)
Posted: 21 Jul 1998 12:00PM GMT
Classification: Query
I am interested in finding out about my deceased father and paternal grand-parents. My father, Henry Alford Lettsome, spent
time in St.Thomas and Tortola and died around 1966 or
1967. My father's parents lived most or all of their lives in Long Look, Tortola until their death. Could find out any information
about their date of birth and death and their full names? My grandfather went by the nickname of Sonny, but I believe this real
name was John Lettsome. My grandmother's name I believe was Elsie.
Thank You
Allen
P.S. In the previous post,I placed the incorrect e-mail.

LETTSOME

Allen Lettsome (View posts)
Posted: 21 Jul 1998 12:00PM GMT
I am interested in finding out about my deceased father and paternal grand-parents. My father, Henry Alford Lettsome, spent time in St.Thomas and Tortola and died around 1966 or
1967. My father's parents lived most or all of their lives in Long Look, Tortola until their death. Could find out any information about their date of birth and death and their full names? My grandfather went by the nickname of Sonny, but I believe this real name was John Lettsome. My grandmother's name I believe was Elsie.
Thank You
Allen

LETTSOME

Ann Quetel (View posts)
Posted: 17 Aug 1998 12:00PM GMT
I found the following information in:
From Columbus to Castro, bu Eric Williams
Vantage Press, 1980, ISBN 0-394-71502-0 $16.00
Pg. 190

Dr. John Lettsom, Quaker, Physician, Abolitionist Founder of the Royal Humane Society of England, and the Medical Society of London
Freed his slaves upon arrival in Tortola, 1767,
Samuel & Mary Nottingham, Quaker, Owner of Plantation -LONG LOOK, freed their slaves and gave them the plantation, "to be enjoyed in perpetuity as tenants in common"

Note the spelling of the name, without the "e"
Do you have any other information on the family?
I have a niece in law that is a Lettsom, and recently received some limited information on the family.
You can contact me at AQW8326@aol.com.
Ann

LETSOM & LETTSOME

Louise Daniel Hutchinson (View posts)
Posted: 17 Aug 1998 12:00PM GMT
Edited: 23 Jun 2001 3:32PM GMT
Searching records (Caribbean Gen Web Site) British Virgin Islands, found surnames LETSOM and LETTSOME.

Listed in Wesleyan Methodist Baptisms, 1815-1824 is: LETTSOME, Wiltshire, son of Mercer LETTSOME and Kezia LETTSOME.

Records identified as TORTOLA QUAKERS, 1740-1760 included the following three entries:
LETSOM, Benjamin, son of John by his wife Margery was born 14th day of 6th month, 17--.
LETSOM, John, son of John & Margery LETSOM born 19th day of 9th month, 1746.
LETSOM, Mary, daughter of John & Margery LETSOM, born 12th day of 3rd month 1744(sic).

If not seen before, I hope that this information is helpful.
As found in the "Soundex" in major repositories, there may be varied spellings of family surnames.

Happy Hunting! Louise Daniel Hutchinson

Dr John Lettsom

Richard Bond (View posts)
Posted: 11 Oct 1998 12:00PM GMT
Surnames: Lettsom, Lettsome

Florence Lewisohns book on the history of Tortola includes a poem roasting Dr. Lettsom.
I John Lettsom,
do blister, bleed and sweats em,
And if spite this they choose to die,
I John Lettsom

Surname Variations

Louise Daniel Hutchinson (View posts)
Posted: 24 Oct 1998 12:00PM GMT
Surnames: Letsome, Lettsome
Social Security Death Index: U.S., 1937-1995 contains entries for persons with surnames "Letsome" and "Lettsome" whose SS #'s were issued in the USVI. The last known zip code for most is St. Thomas.
Letsome: Harris b. May 10, 1907; d. Feb. 10, 1988

Melford b. Jun 11, 1924; d. Jan 1987

William b. Apr 28, 1893; d. Aug. 1980

Lettsome: Alcedos b. Sep. 26, 1922; d. Jul. 25, 1988

Allen b. Aug. 14, 1947; d. Feb. 5, 1990

Anita b. Apr. 9, 1926; d. Oct. 29, 1989

Austin b.Nov. 16, 1935; d. July 1982

Catherine b. May 6, 1879; d. Jan. 1972

Ebert b. Dec. 11, 1913; d. Mar. 1981

Edelphine b. Aug. 30, 1910

Hughroy b. Aug. 9, 1916; d. Aug. 1983

Isabella b. Dec. 1, 1897; d. Jan. 1986

Iselin b. Nov. 17, 1921; d. Sept. 24, 1988

Kevin b. Aug. 11, 1967; d. Sept. 1986

Olando . Jan. 29, 1910; d. Oct. 1984

R. b. Jan. 10, 1959; d. Oct. 1988

Radforde b. Feb. 21, 1922; d. Jan. 1983

Rudolph b. Aug. 10, 1941; d. Oct. 1968

Sidney b. Feb. 19, 1911; d. Mar. 1970

Victor b. Aug. 10, 1920; d. July 9, 1995

Wilmot b. Dec. 23, 1923; d. Mar. 4, 1990

Hope that some if not all of this info. is helpful.
Reference cited: Broderbund Family Archive CD 110.

Louise Daniel Hutchinson

Hi cuzz!

Robert Chalwell (View posts)
Posted: 28 Jan 1999 12:00PM GMT
Surnames: Chalwell, Lettsome, Penn, Thomas, Stephens
I'm sure we are related because I have Lettsomes on both sides of my family. One of my maternal Great-Grandmother's name was Rosalind Lettsome Penn her parents were Captain Lettsome and Leticia Thomas Lettsome. My paternal grandmother's name was Althea Lettsome Chalwell and her father's name was Joe Lettsome. I have also found that one of my paternal Gr-Grandmothers was Christofina Lettsome Chalwell. I don't have any real information about these people except that I am descended from them. I knew my Gr-Granmother Rosalind Lettsome before she died, and found her to be a great woman. Very powerful in spirit and reputation and very respected by everyone. She recieved the medal of the British Empire from HRM the present Queen Elizabeth. Perhaps some of this might help.
Good luck.

Lettsome

Edward Elkins (View posts)
Posted: 19 Jun 1999 12:00PM GMT
Surnames: Lettsome

My grandfather who was a butcher had a Lettsome that worked for him. I believe his wife was Elsie, who also worked as a maid for my grandfather. She had 2 sons, Austin and Rudolph. As of 2 years ago Austin owned a small grocery in the area called "Low Road" in St. Thomas. Rudolph married and died shorly after the birth of a child (early 60's). I was in the service at the time and lost track of the family after that. Hope this helps.

We May Be Related!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Valerie Hunt (View posts)
Posted: 24 May 2000 12:00PM GMT
Surnames: Penn
Hi Robert,
I happen to be looking through the web site here with the differnt names and I saw your respones to the Lettsome.Well I see you also have the Penn's listed as one of the surnames. My grandmother who is Martha Elizabeth Penn still living also had two sisters that I know of by the name of Easter and Irene Penn also brothers:Edward,Hugo,Zefinia,Mack,Christian and Joe that I also know of they are all from B.V.I. and my mother was Alice Luwella Penn Hunt. Hope I helped you in any way. Talk to you soon.

Penn family

Daysha Penn (View posts)
Posted: 1 Mar 2001 12:00PM GMT
Surnames: PENN, GORDEN, RICHARDS, SHEPPARD, HEDRINGTON, JOSEPH
Maybe we are related too!My husband is Randy Penn. His father is Randolph Penn. Randy's grandfather is Clarence Oliver Penn. Do any of the names sound familiar. I am trying to find out more information about his side of the family, but haven't been too successful.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | Terms and Conditions