Search for content in message boards

Curry family in Alabama

Curry family in Alabama

Posted: 2 Jul 2004 5:34AM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 13 Aug 2004 9:11AM GMT
Surnames: Curry
I've traced my Curry family roots back to 1860 in Morgan County, Alabama in Valhermosa Springs. The head of the household was William Curry, and one of the children listed by the name of Hugh Curry is my great-great grandfather.
They lived in Alabama at that time, but I believe they migrated from South Carolina. Any leads to take me further back would be greatly appreciated.

Re: Curry family in Alabama

Posted: 27 Jul 2004 8:49PM GMT
I have some Curry relatives in Alabama as well. I am afraid that I don't have anything on your Grandfather.

BUT, if you find anything on Mary Curry born between 1800 -1810 in Alabama. Father was Thomas Curry born 1771 in South Carolina. I think Thomas's wife's name as Satsay Vann (I'm not sure about the last name) My understanding is that she died on the Cherokee Trail. Mary is my 4xs Great grandmother. I am trying to verify her mother's name and date of birth. I'll keep my eyes out for anything for you as well, Thanks for anything!

Clara Asp (View posts)
Posted: 29 Jul 2004 3:33AM GMT
Surnames: Curry,Gildenhause,Keats,MacCombie and Hutcheson
Interested in the last name Vann. I am trying to trace Samilda Anne, Elma B., and John Curry, siblings from Ohio and Iowa. My father was born to Samilda Anne and James Walker Keats in Atcheson County, Kansas. Both were schoolteachers. They lost a first son, Mervin on his date of birth. My dad was named Vane Keats, after whom? Most of the kids were named after relatives.I don't know my grandmothers parents names.

Deb (View posts)
Posted: 29 Jul 2004 7:38PM GMT
I am not certain that Satsa's last name was Vann, that is information that my relative got (maybe she'll read this and post to it.....I've only met her a few times).
None of my family went to Ohio (that I know of)
If you want what I have you are welcome to email me and I will send it to you.

Deb (View posts)
Posted: 29 Jul 2004 7:44PM GMT
I just reread your post Sakena. As I mentioned in my first post, my 3x Great grandfather was born in SC around 1771. I wonder if Hugh is a son or grand son?

Have you found him on any census?

Posted: 29 Jul 2004 9:44PM GMT
Edited: 13 Aug 2004 9:11AM GMT
I did find Hugh Curry my great-great grandfather in 1860 and 1870 census records in Valhermosa Springs, AL. He owned land which seems uncommon for a black man in pre and post civil war times in the South. William (Hugh's father) I found in 1850 also owning land (he said he was from SC one year and NC the next). I know that there were quite a few free blacks at that time, but I want to know if the land was acquired through a deceased slave owner or if he had some monetary priveleges I am unaware of. Unfortunately, I don't have my records right in front of me, but when I leave the office I'll give you more information. Thanks,Sakena

Sakena (View posts)
Posted: 31 Jul 2004 6:46PM GMT
Edited: 7 May 2005 1:55AM GMT
Surnames: CURRY
Hi Deb,
Sorry for the delay...but I have all of my information in front of me now.

William & Eliza Curry listed in the 1850 census in Somerville, Morgan County, Alabama at ages 56 and 39 respectively.
They have seven children: William, Jasisas, Elizabeth, Mary J., Nancy B, Huatisbas, and Scipio. They are all Black and claimto be from North Carolina. In the same city and county is a white family named Curry as well, by the name of William and Nancy Curry both 27 yrs old. They have 3 children Isaac, Mary and James. They also have some older family members living with them by the name of Macel, Joana, and Susan and these older relatives claim to be from North Carolina as well. hmmmmmm?

Later, In the 1860 census my William Curry now claims to be from South Carolina.
I wonder are these descendants of slave owners or relatives...
Let me know if this sparks anything for you.
Thanks, Sakena (sakpatt@yahoo.com)
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions