Search for content in message boards

MacTavish, McTavish, Campbell

MacTavish, McTavish, Campbell

Posted: 2 Jan 2000 12:00PM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 12 Apr 2004 7:01PM GMT
Surnames: MacTavish, McTavish, Campbell, Wright, Robb, Climie
I am researching my M(a)cTavish family. The ggg Grandfather was Lachlan McTavish who married Mary Campbell on June 13, 1829 in Glassary parish. They had the following children born in Ardnaherir: Margaret (1830), Euphemia (1832), John (1835), Patty or Betsy (1838). These children were born in Duncholgan: Alexander (1840), Duncan (1843) and Lachlan (1846). I have not been able to confirm Duncan and Lachlan through baptismal records. Their names came from the LDS files.

Their son, John McTavish married on October 30, 1862 Liverpool Alice Hamilton, daughter of Alexander and Jane (McCutcheon) from Hamilton, Ontario. They had the following children (most born in Greenock, Renfrewshire): Alexander (Liverpool, 1867), James Lachlan, Jane(Lochgilphead, 1868) m. John Climie, Mary(1870), Agnes (1873) m. Robert Wright, Duncan (1875) m. Elizabeth McVittie, Ellison (1878) m. William Connell then Albert Davidson, Elizabeth (1879) m. Robert Robb, John (1881) m. Murial Blair, and Margaret (1884). Ellison, Margaret and Duncan emigrated to Canada. Alexander and John were in Argentina then returned to Scotland. The remainder are believed to have stayed in Scotland.

Trying to find parents of Lachlan and Mary nee Campbell McTavish. Looking for other descendants.

McTavish in Glassary parish

Posted: 3 Jan 2000 12:00PM GMT
Edited: 18 Jul 2006 8:08AM GMT
Diane,

My great grandmother was Jean/Jane MCPHAIL and her brother John married Sarah MCTAVISH in Glassary in 1856. One of their children was Alexander b.1866 in Glassary parish. Does this fit in anywhere with your info.?

MacTavishes in Oban, Argyll

Susan E. Neill (View posts)
Posted: 3 Jan 2000 12:00PM GMT
Surnames: MACTAVISH, FRASER
Not sure there's a connection, but my gg grandfather was William MacTavish, b. Oban (date unk). Was studying for ministry in Oban when poor health sent him to St. Vincent Island in British West Indies (date ukn). There he became secretary to governor, Sir William Huggins. Also met Annie Fraser (b. Inverness, date unk). They married in 1850 and had 5 kids: Alex (1851-1859), Anne (1853-1859), Elizabeth Roberta Young (1855-?; married Black), Emily Marian (1857-?; married Kidd), Mary Annie ( 1859-1932, married William Maver, Jr., my g grandm.), William Arthur (b. 1861, went to Australia). William and Annie immigrated to New York with family in 1863 or 64.

Any of this familiar??

Susan Neill

MacTavish

Patricia Adams (View posts)
Posted: 7 Jan 2000 12:00PM GMT
Surnames: MACTAVISH
After 206 years of dormancy, the Clan MacTavish now has a living three eagle feathered Chief. You might want to check out their official web site at http://www.mactavish.org

The web site contains information on the Chief, Clan History, a discussion area, etc. You can even e-mail the Chief directly at Dunardry@aol.com

There is a lot of information that has been surpressed over the last 200+ years about the Clan MacTavish. If you want to consider joining the Clan, they are able to help with genealogy.

I hope this will help some of you in the right direction.

Yours in Kinship, Aye!
Patricia Adams (CASH, MacCash Descendant)
Clan MacTavish

McTavish & Campbell

Posted: 15 Jan 2000 12:00PM GMT
Edited: 28 Jun 2001 7:14PM GMT
Surnames: Mactavish, McTavish, Campbell
Thought a bit of specific info. might be of interest.

At the 1881 census, what I am sure must be your Mary Mctavish lived at Casleton Lodge Glassary and was a housekeeper aged 72 i.e probably born 1808. she was a widow so Lachlan the elder died pre 1881. However, her childrem Betty [farm servant, unmarried aged 39] and son lachlan [fisherman unmarried aged 33] lived with her. Duncan Mctavish fisherman aged 36 lived up the road with his wife Margaret 32 and their i yr old son

The census also gives what I take it is the Renfrew connection. John McTavish shipwright aged 42 b. Lochgilphead lived at 1 West Brest, Middle Greenock, Renfrew with wife Alice 36 b. England; son James L 16 apprentice boy b England; Alexander 14 sales boy; Jane 13 b Lochgilphead; Mary 10 b Greenock; Agnes 7 b greenock; Duncan 5 b Greenock; Ellison 3 b greenock; Elizabeth 1 b Greenock; and Jane Hamilton, widow, mother in law 77 b Kirkmichael Renfrew.

Hope this helps. Good hunting

McTavish

Debbie (View posts)
Posted: 21 Mar 2001 12:00PM GMT
Surnames: McTavish, McLachlan
I got so excited when I saw John and Jane. Disapointed with the wifes'name:this is the information I have and I have just begun the search, so please bare with me.
John McTavish 1786-1849
Married Catherine(do not have her last name)
Daughter: Jane McTavish: 1811-1901
Jane married Donald(Dan)McLachlan: both from around Argyllshire
They had 14 children,only have names for 10, Sandy 1835,Catherine 1837, Christie 1838,Duncan(no date),Sarah(no date)Hugh Larry 1843, Betsy(Elizabeth)1845, Mary 1846, John(The Buffalo)1847, last one being Alexander 1853 d.1876 from what I can tell was born in Ontario.
Thank you
Deb

Re: MacTavish, McTavish, Campbell

Posted: 7 May 2002 3:07AM GMT
I am researching Archibald Campbell b 13 Apr 1836. I believe his parents may be Archibald Campbell (Chr. 12 Oct 1810) who married Elizabeth McTavish. If you have any related info it would be appreciated. Do you know how to get parish or civil birth records from lochgilphead?
Thanks Dr. P. Schulze

Re: MacTavish, McTavish, Campbell

Diane Sheppard (View posts)
Posted: 8 May 2002 12:20PM GMT
I use Scots Origins on-line. It is the Scot GRO. http://www.origins.net/GRO/ Fees are explained on the main page.

They have databased parish records, civil records, and some of the census. Once you have found what is required, you can order copies on-line.

Could also use your local Latter Day Saints Family History Centre. They can order in the microfilm for Logilphead. Searching these is time-consuming but cheaper.

Good luck.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic