Search for content in message boards

Christopher Olinger, Revolutionary War Patriot aka John Christopher and Stophel Olinger

Christopher Olinger, Revolutionary War Patriot aka John Christopher and Stophel Olinger

Posted: 29 Jan 2007 1:26AM GMT
Classification: Query
I am trying to verify that Christopher Olinger, b. Feb 18, 1737 in Germany, and Eva Margaret Siler, b. Dec 1, 1781 in Augusta County, VA, are the parents of Nancy Arminta Olinger, b. Jan 11, 1806 in Russell County, VA and Robert Stanford Holmes, b in 1803. They were probably married about 1822, since their first child was born in 1823 in Virginia. The National Society Daughters of the American Revolution sent me the following reply to my DAR supplemental application:

"Thank you for submitting your supplemental application for Christopher Olinger. In order to complete the vertification process for this supplemental we need some additional information.
Though we know that the parents of Susannah Holmes were Robert S. Holmes and Nancy, and we know that a deed of gift states the Christopher Olinger had a daughter named Nancy Olinger, we need additional documentation that shows that Nancy, the wife of Robert, and Nancy, the daughter of Christopher, were the same individual. A marriage record for Robert Holmes and Nancy would most likely establish this relationship. Court records, land records, or probate records naming Nancy Holmes as the heir of Christopher Olinger would also probably be sufficient to establish this relationship."

I have a copy of the information from the Early Settlers of Lee County VA and Adjacent Counties, Volume II, but this does not satisify the DAR.

I would appreciate any help that anyone can give me.

Wanda Witt Lombardo

Re: Christopher Olinger, Revolutionary War Patriot aka John Christopher and Stophel Olinger

Posted: 29 Jan 2007 4:50PM GMT
Hello Wanda,

Unfortunately, this board is only for verifying an individual as being in the DAR Patriot Index, which as you know, Christopher Olinger is listed.

The answer from National Headquarters listed some very good ideas of where you might find the information needed to establish this relationship between Nancy and her parents. I hope you can find her listed in some document that will satisfy them. Please don't feel alone in this dilemma. I myself have been faced with a similar situation. You just have to persevere.

"This is a free lookup service provided by DAR Volunteers at the DAR message board"

Good luck!
Linda Garrett

Re: Christopher Olinger, Revolutionary War Patriot aka John Christopher and Stophel Olinger

Posted: 29 Jan 2007 5:12PM GMT
Linda, Thank you your prompt reply to my post. You are to be commended on the service you are doing for DAR.
Wanda

Posted: 14 Apr 2007 3:15AM GMT
Surnames: Olinger
Christopher is in my family history all names are correct,
except in a report handed down to my family, John Stophel
was born in America. I will go back and research and get back with you.

Posted: 14 Apr 2007 1:41PM GMT
Thanks. Do you have any data to prove that Nancy Olinger that married Robert Holmes is Christopher's daughter?

Posted: 14 Apr 2007 2:59PM GMT
Classification: Will
Surnames: Olinger
Have a considerable info on John Christopher{Stophel}
and do you want all this info I have emailed to you or in
little pieces,lol..
He left a "Deed of Gift of Personal Property" on February 23,1820 under Christopher Olinger or Russell County and
State of Virginia, for the natural love and affection which I bear to my two sons, David Olinger and Joseph Olinger,
and my three daughters, Mary, Julyan and Nancy Olinger,
there is more but for now the witness was Crabtree Price.
Recorded on 6 day of March 1820Russell County, Virginia.

Posted: 14 Apr 2007 3:44PM GMT
Will be researching for you to find what you need if more.
Good luck. And if you want my Olinger/Youell report it might take some time but I will get it to you.

purplemountains

Posted: 14 Apr 2007 3:44PM GMT
Will be researching for you to find what you need if more.
Good luck. And if you want my Olinger/Youell report it might take some time but I will get it to you.

purplemountains

Posted: 14 Apr 2007 5:09PM GMT
Thank you very much. I do have a copy of the will, but DAR says they don't know if the Nancy in the will is the Nancy that married my ancestor Robert Holmes. You may contact me directly at katrena@adelphia.net. I would love to have your Olinger/Youell report.

Posted: 27 Feb 2013 5:03PM GMT
I am Sandy Parrish. I am a descendant of Joseph K. Olinger. My daughter tried to join the DAR through John Christopher "Stophel" Olinger but had to join under Philip Olinger, his father, because Christopher Olinger's file in the DAR says, "Future applicants must prove correct service." The DAR says that Christopher missed a muster in Aug 1782, and that's the only proof of his service. I have the book, "Virginians in the Revolutionary War" by John Gwathmey which lists "Olinger, Stophel, Capt. Cunningham's Company, Augusta." I would appreciate any help on his service. larsan180@yahoo.com Also Stophel's grandfather, Heinrich Umberger was a patriot. He was the father of Julianna Umberger, Philip's wife.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions