1860 & 1870 Marshall Co., MS. census lookup please

1860 & 1870 Marshall Co., MS. census lookup please

Posted: 8 Jan 2007 8:12PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Casey & Sims
Marshall County, Mississippi

1860 P.O. / Township Holly Springs; p. 238 M.L. Casey

1870 P.O. Holly Springs; p. 546B ML Casey

Would greatly appreciate census enumeration data for my family files.

Re: 1860 & 1870 Marshall Co., MS. census lookup please

Posted: 4 Aug 2007 6:47AM GMT
Surnames: casey, sims
one has to have more data than you are posting. write all you know about these two families, casey and sims from the latest date that you know to be true.

Posted: 4 Aug 2007 10:40PM GMT
Thank you for responding.
The 1860 & 1870 census enumerations have already been sent to me, so no longer need that.
If you are interested in what I have about Matthew Landers Casey and 1st wife, Mahala Sims and children, as well as Matthew Landers Casey and 2nd wife Mary gray Grisham and children, I will be happy to share with you now.

Unfortunately, my information about the children born to Matthew Landers Casey and 1st wife Mahala Sims includes only their names and that all but the youngest two were born in Walton Co., GA.
As best as I've been able to determine, Mahala (Sims) Casey died 2 October 1920 in Fulton Co., GA.
Being that Matthew Landers Casey was 2nd married on 7 Arril 1867 at Tippah Co., MS. to Mary Gray Grisham, it seems logical to conclude Matthew Landers Casey and 1st wife Mahala (Sims) Casey were divorced prior to that date.
That too may be the reason for my difficulty in atempting to trace the children of Matthew Landers Casey and 1st wife, Mahala (Sims) Casey.

1) Daniel J. Casey, b. abt. 1845 Walton Co., GA.
2) Harriet L.J. Casey, b. abt. 1846 Walton Co., GA.
3) Gilbert M. Casey, b. abt. 1848 Walton Co., GA.
4) Sanford M. Casey, b. abt. 1849 Walton Co., GA.
5) female: J. H. Casey, b. abt. 1855 Holly Springs,Marshall Co., MS.
6) female: M. E. Velonia? Casey, b. abt. 1858 Holly Springs, Marshall Co., MS.

What I know for sure about Mahala Sims is that she was born 6 December 1827 in Walton Co., GA. and married 16 September 1843 in Walton Co., GA. to Matthew Landers Casey.
Her parents were:
Clayborn Sims, Jr. (c.1805 Laurens Co.,SC - d.abt. 1895GA)
and 1st wife:
Harriet Jones (c.1807 - c.1837/1840 GA.)
Clayborn Sims, Jr. & 1st wife Harriet Jones married in Walton Co., GA. on 30 January 1825.

Matthew Landers Casey was born 3 February 1822 in Walton County, Georgia and died 3 March 1886 in Benton Co., MS.
He is buried in Mt. Zion (west) Cemetery - Bebton Co., MS.
His patents were:
Elisha Casey (1772-c.1853 GA)
and wife:
Easter Landers (c.1782-c.1850)
Note: There is, to me, some confusion regarding the correct spelling of Matthew's 2nd wife's maiden name. I've seen it as Grisham and as Grissom.
Her parents:
James A. Grissom (c.1804- ? )
and wife:
Theressy [--?--] (c.1814- ? )
She, Mary Gray Grisham, was born 3 Nov. 1833 in Hardeman Co., TN. and died 13 April 1913 and is buried in the Ashland Cemetery in Benton Co., MS.

Children born to Matthew Landers Casey and 2nd wife, Mary Gray Grisham:

1) Minta Loutilla Casey, b. 28 Oct. 1872 Holly Springs, Marshall Co., MS.
husband: Robert Edward Crawford
2) Rhoda Zipporah Casey, b. 3 May 1874 MS.
husband: W. T. Craft
3) Theresa Zenora Casey, b. 3 May 1875 MS.
husband: Albert Sidney Kidd
4) Mary Louella Casey, b. 15 Nov. 1879 Benton Co., MS.
husband: John William Crawford

Posted: 16 Aug 2007 11:55PM GMT
Surnames: Casey, Landers, Sims
I descend from Elisha Casey's oldest son, Hiram (through his son, James Thompson Casey who moved to MO after the Civil War). I have a little info on your Matthew, sent by the late Jane Battles Ervin of MS...names and dates of Matthew's children and some differ with yours. Are you certain about Matthew's middle name, Landers, as we just used the middle initial? Also, Are you related to David Sims of GA who is researching the Elisha Casey family?

Posted: 17 Aug 2007 2:24AM GMT
Thank you for responding. The dates of birth of the children of Matthew Landers Casey and 1st wife Mahala Sims are estimated by ages listed on census enumerations.
I would appreciate if you will share with me the dates you have and any additional information you have.
If David Sims of Georgia is a descendant of Clayborn Sims, Jr. (1805-c.1895), then yes he and I are distantly related.

As a side note, I do find it interesting to see that Matthew Landers Casey and 1st wife Mahala Sims named a son, Sanford M. Casey. There continues to be a mystery involving a son of Clayborn Sims, Jr. and 1st wife Harriet Jones. The unresolved issue is with name of that son, born abt. 1830 in Walton Co., GA. That son's name is foung in the 1850 census enumeration of Walton Co., GA. as Stirling S. Sims. However, a relative once told me the name was Sanford Richard Sims. Then too a descendant of Garland S. Sims, another son of Clayborn Sims, Jr. once told me he believes the S. initial in Garland's middle name is for Sanford, making his full name Garland Sanford Sims. So this makes me begin to think Stirling S. Sims and Sanford Richard Sims, born abt. 1830 in Walton Co., GA. are one in the same person.
Of course more substantial evidence is needed before this could be provable.

As to the middle name Landers in Matthew Landers Casey, I've reviewed my files but don't see a source given. Don't believe I would include the middle name Landers without some source, but finding none leaves me without an answer. However, do know it was a frequent practice to include the mother's maiden name as a child's middle name.
Matter of fact one of my maternal 1st Cousins middle name is the same as his mother's maiden name.

Posted: 17 Aug 2007 5:02AM GMT
Yes, other Elisha Casey researchers agree that his wife's maiden name was Landers and that sons were given that middle name. No one can prove it though. A descendant of Rhoda Casey said either Landers or Landreth. Some of our Caseys married Lokey girls. All families were located near Elisha in early census records.

David Sims has never shared his family info with me. He is doing lots of Thompson research which led him to the Casey family. He did live in Lilbourn, GA, near those wonderful counties where the early ancestors lived.

Isn't it strange that my Hiram Casey, Elisha's oldest son, didn't name a son "Elisha?" Most of his other children did.

On the 1850 Walton Co. GA census, your Matthew is sandwiched inbetween his sister, Unity EDGAR, and his brother, John Oscar CASEY.

In the 1800 Laurens Co. SC census, Elisha has listed 2 males under 10 (Hiram would have been 1) and 3 males between 10 & 15. Who were these other boys?

Elisha Casey may have been married one or two times before Easter/Esther. In his 1849 deposition, he didn't give his wife's name at all!

per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions