Search for content in message boards

desperately seeking date/place of death of Grandfather...Wilfred Laurier Ratchford

desperately seeking date/place of death of Grandfather...Wilfred Laurier Ratchford

Posted: 25 Jan 2010 8:06PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Ratchford
I'm seeking as much information as possible on my Grandfather, Wilfred Laurier Ratchford , born 1896 in Low Point..Nova Scotia, Canada..he left my Grandmother when my father (an only child, John Wilfred) was 3, in Windsor, Ontario, Canada..I met the man one time..he would write my father periodically, however all are now gone. I know he worked in Moosinee for awhile, I believe he was some form of Technical Engineer. My beliefs are he passed away in Montreal,Quebec, Canada. If ANYONE can do any form of research for me to obtain his exact DOD, I would be most appreciative !! As an American Citizen, I'm a bit naive to what is available for searches. Since my father was an only child, there are no relatives to help in this search.
thankyou, in advance for any help you can provide !!
Jean Ratchford

Re: desperately seeking date/place of death of Grandfather...Wilfred Laurier Ratchford

Posted: 26 Jan 2010 1:02PM GMT
I can't help you with the date/place of death but your grandfather's birth and marriage certificate is online at the NSVital Stat site
www.novascotiagenealogy.ca
This is a free site-all you need to do is download a free viewer program available onsite to see the actual record. His death certificate isn't there which means either that he didn't die in Nova Scotia or he died after the date when privacy laws came into effect (1950 in the case of deaths) When searching I just put "Ratch" and "Wilf" in the search boxes --that way you'll pick up more possible spelling variatons.
The 1901 and 1911 Canadian Census is available at
www.automatedgenealogy.com
This is also a free site where you can view the actual document.
In the 1911 Census, Wilfred was 14 living with his parents and siblings
John P - age 50
Margaret A age 43
Philomena M age 17
Wilfred – age 14
Marion I – age 12
Margaret C – age 10
Lillian F - age 8
John A – age4
Mary Teresa – age 4
You may be able to follow up/trace the family of one of the above to get more information on your grandfather. For instance the 1922 marriage of the above Marion to Sylvester Phalen a policeman in Glace Bay is recorded on the NS Stats site.
Also the Cape Breton Genealogy Genweb site has a lot or resources including a index of cemetaries
http://www.capebretongenweb.com/

Happy Hunting

Re: desperately seeking date/place of death of Grandfather...Wilfred Laurier Ratchford

Posted: 26 Jan 2010 7:24PM GMT

I thankyou for your help with the information you provided...It's some business affairs that require his "actual Date of Death and Place"...in the States, you can check the Social Security listings and it's provided, but I'm not clear on Canadian law..and what , if any, sites are available for the above information. It's rather frustrating. I've put this on the back burner shall we say for a few years, but it needs to be cleared up.
Is there a site available, once someone passes, of Canadian Citizenship, that would list something along these lines ?
Anyone ?
thanks again, in advance..your help is very mucha appreciated !!

Posted: 1 Feb 2010 10:24AM GMT
To obtain a death certificate in the Province of Quebec, refer to the following webpage. You can email them.

http://canadaonline.about.com/gi/o.htm?zi=1/XJ/Ya&zTi=1&...

Posted: 24 Mar 2010 5:29PM GMT
A HUGE thankyou !! These are the types of things I'm unaware of..and needed the websites for...thankyou again , eversomuch !!
JeanneRatchford

Posted: 4 Apr 2010 9:26PM GMT
Hello Jean,

I would be distantly related to you because of distant family connections in your ancestry.

Vince

Name: John P Ratchford
----------------------------------------
Birth: 18 Aug 1859 Low Point, Cape Breton, Nova Scotia
Death: 26 Oct 1923 Glace Bay, Cape Breton, Nova Scotia
Burial: 29 Oct 1923 Low Point, Cape Breton, Nova Scotia
Father: Patrick Ratchford
Mother: Catherine O'Connor
Spouse: Margaret Petrie
Birth: 1 Feb 1863
Father: James Petrie (1816-)
Mother: Mary MacEachern (~1831-)

Children:
1 F: Philomena Ratchford
Birth: 11 Dec 1893 Low Point, Cape Breton, Nova Scotia
2 M: Wilfred Laurier Ratchford
Birth: 23 Jun 1896 Low Point, Cape Breton, Nova Scotia
Spouse: Annie Catherine Peach
Marriage: 27 Nov 1925 Sacred Hearth, Sydney, Cape Breton, Nova Scotia
3 F: Marion F Ratchford
Birth: 6 Dec 1898 Low Point, Cape Breton, Nova Scotia
4 F: Margaret Catherine Ratchford
Birth: 16 Sep 1900 Low Point, Cape Breton, Nova Scotia
5 F: Lillian Ratchford
Birth: Apr 1903
6 M: John Ratchford
Birth: Sep 1906
7 F: Mary Theresa Ratchford
Birth: Sep 1906

Notes for John P Ratchford
47 112 Ratchford John P M Head M Sep 1860 50 1901
48 112 Ratchford Margaret A F Wife M Nov 1867 43 1901
49 112 Ratchford Philomena M F Daughter S Dec 1893 17 1901
50 112 Ratchford Wilfrid R M Son S Jun 1896 14 1901
1 112 Ratchford Marian I F Daughter S Dec 1898 12 1901
2 112 Ratchford Margaret C? F Daughter S Dec 1900 10 1901
3 112 Ratchford Lillian F F Daughter S Apr 1903 8 1901
4 112 Ratchford John A M Son S Sep 1906 4 1901
5 112 Ratchford Mary Teresa F Daughter S Sep 1906 4 1901

Last Modified: 4 Apr 2010
Created: 4 Apr 2010

Posted: 14 Jan 2013 2:20AM GMT
Surnames: Ratchford, Hingston
Hello there,

As with others who have replied to you, I also am indirectly related to you: in my case, from Patrick Ratchford (c.1812, Low Point)and his wife, Catherine Connor(s)(c.1818. NFLD)) and then to your John P. Ratchford's sister, Johanna Ratchford (1846), who married George Hingston (1842).

I do not know whether you've yet found Wilfred Laurier Ratchford's death date in the past two years since your posting, but I checked Quebec's "Drouin Papers" through "Ancestry" without success recently.It is probable that, if he died in Quebec, he did so after the latest date available in those records.

Ross Smyth

Posted: 12 Feb 2013 2:51PM GMT
Thanks so much for your thorough research!! I find it odd that the first list shows Wilfred/Wilfrid's middle initial as R. and then below as Laurier, which is what is on my Father's Birth Certificate!! Thanks for your help!!! Take care!!
Jeanne
per page

Find a board about a specific topic