Search for content in message boards

Rancho Los Amigos, Downey, Los Angeles

Rancho Los Amigos, Downey, Los Angeles

Posted: 25 Aug 2012 3:06PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Clark
Hi I have just managed to find an ancestor who emigrated from England to USA via British Columbia on the US 1940 Census (Enoch Clark). He is listed along with lots of others at Rancho Los Amigos, Downey, Los Angeles. From what I can gather this appears to be some sort of County Poor Farm.

Any further information would be much appreciated, in particular I would like to know if there is anyway for me to find out when he arrived there? (I know he arrived in USA in 1920). Also, I know he died in Los Angeles in 1950 but was this at Rancho Los Amigos?

Thank you.

Re: Rancho Los Amigos, Downey, Los Angeles

Posted: 26 Aug 2012 12:20AM GMT
Edited: 26 Aug 2012 12:55AM GMT
It wasn't a county poor farm.
Polio was rampant in the 1950's, and Rancho Los Amigos was one of the best know hospitals in Southern California that treated polio. Patients there were put into respirators, also known as "Iron Lungs" to help them breath. Victims of polio would rest and get treatment there, and often times die there. It was part of the County Hospital.

My Father was a patient there in 1955 after he contracted polio. Rancho Los Amigos was also a sanitarium for TB patients.
Is it possible Enoch died from either Polio or TB?

Name: Enoch Clark
Social Security #: 0
Sex: Male
Birth Date: 14 May 1875
Birthplace: Other Country
Death Date: 20 May 1950
Death Place: Los Angeles
Mother's Maiden Name: Short
Father's Surname: Clark

Posted: 26 Aug 2012 1:22AM GMT
Good info, diskoverit. I'll be at the Vital Records Office next week and if Original Poster is interested I'll examine and transcribe Enoch's death record which will give the location and cause of death as well as the disposition of his remains.
-Larry

Posted: 26 Aug 2012 8:05AM GMT
Thank you both, that's very interesting. It would be fantastic to have a transcript of Enoch's death certificate please!

Enoch, who was my great grandmother's brother, had a very 'interesting' life. He was just a simple coal miner from Rotherham, Yorkshire, England. But he spent 2 years hard labour in prison when he was a young man in 1901 after an assault on a local policeman.

I had been unable to find any further trace of him until quite recently when I discovered he'd emigrated to British Columbia, Canada in 1909. There he married a woman much older than himself. After she died he moved to Los Angeles in 1920 and took up American citizenship in 1925. But I've no idea what he did until his death in 1950.

Thank you very much for your help, it's much appreciated.

Shirley

Posted: 28 Aug 2012 6:33PM GMT
link9man,
I was at the Vital Records Office yesterday and transcribed the death record for Enoch Clark. VRO regulations prevent me from posting anything from the record on the internet but if you email me I will supply the information. Click on my username and then click on View Profile and you will find my email address. Incidentally, Kim, Enoch did not die from either polio or TB.
Larry

Posted: 28 Aug 2012 11:33PM GMT
Larry, Curious.. what was the COD? Since you can't post it here, give me a clue, I'm pretty good at figuring it out from there.

Posted: 29 Aug 2012 12:27AM GMT
Edited: 29 Aug 2012 12:40AM GMT
It's difficult to figure out a clue without using info from the D/C which I'm reluctant to do because of the internet non-disclosure policy of the VRO. However, I can email it to you without a problem. Actually, he may very well have had TB or polio but neither had anything to do with his death.
-Larry

Posted: 23 Jan 2013 4:26PM GMT
My story is very similar and I have been trying to find out for ages what happened to one of my great uncles who was also a patient at Rancho Los Amigos on the 1940 US Census. The other confusion is that I had one uncle named Digby Augustus Worsley b.1888 in England/d.1982 in Los Angeles so my first thought was it must be him. However, he also had a brother Harold Digby Worsley b.1890 in England/d.1948 in Los Angeles so I thought if he was seriously ill he may have been the one in the hospital. The record just comes up as "Digby Worsley" on the 1940 Census. Any help gratefully received! Many thanks, Samantha

Posted: 23 Jan 2013 6:14PM GMT
Edited: 23 Jan 2013 6:40PM GMT
Attached is Harold's death cert. Were you aware that there was another brother named Clarence Digby Worsley but he changed his name to Charles Worsley. He died in Los Angeles in 1958.
-Larry
Attachments:

Posted: 29 Jan 2013 3:13PM GMT
Thank you so much Larry - I have been searching for details of my Worsley family in California for a long time and this is the first piece of the puzzle. Yes, I knew there was a brother Clarence but not what happened to him or to the other brother Digby Augustus Worsley plus their mother Kathryn - all in the Los Angeles area. Let me know if there is anything in the UK I can help you with. Samantha
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions