Search for content in message boards

Children at Northern Colony and Training School

Children at Northern Colony and Training School

Posted: 8 Feb 2010 6:27PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Pagel
I have found the following children, 15 year old Lawrence, 18 year old Mabel and and 20 year old Anne Pagel all at the Northern Colony and Training School in the 1930 census. They are siblings. Anne was actually 10 years old. Their mother died about 1922 and at some point after her death it appears they were institutionalized. Anne later married and had a family so she apparently had a "normal" life. Lawrence may have been institutionalized for life, at least he died at a state institution in 1995. There was a 4th child, William or Willie Pagel who would have been 22 years old in 1930, that I have not been able to locate in the 1930 census or death records for the county he was known to have lived in. Their sister Anne never knew what became of either William/Willie or Mable. Is there a cemetery at the site of the school? My thought it they could be buried there. Are their any records available for the school? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks you, Linda

Re: Children at Northern Colony and Training School

Posted: 9 Feb 2010 6:22PM GMT
Yes there are records dating back to at least the teens. I had a hint of an ancestor living there back then so I called them. The home is still open. They confirmed that my ancestor had been a patient there and had died there. I believe the very helpful lady on the phone said they had two cemeteries on the grounds. I had to send her an email stating my relationship to the person I was looking for. It wasn't more than a couple of hours and I had a return call with my answers.

Re: Children at Northern Colony and Training School

Posted: 13 Feb 2010 7:32PM GMT
Thanks for the tip! I called the Northern Center after reading of your success, got the e-mail address of the person who handled my call and like you had a very quick e-mail response with attached copies of the cards on file for all three children. The info on one card led me to finding that a cousin to these children's father had been placed there, too. So, that led to even more totally unexpected information. Again, thanks!
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions