Search for content in message boards

Sykora family from Sec & Tupadla

Sykora family from Sec & Tupadla

Posted: 23 Apr 2010 3:17AM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: SYKORA & MISEK
I am looking for info & relatives of this family in Czech Repub. I have the ships manifest when the emigrated to Chicago & possibly a U.S. 1930 census for them.
Vaclav (b. abt 1872) & Marie (b. abt 1877) Sykora
2 children: Josef (abt 1899) & Marie (abt 1902)
Left Tupadla in Oct 1905 for Chicago - their uncle Josef Misek of 1076 Troy St. I don't know whose uncle Josef Misek is.

The U.S. 1930 census shows Vaclav & Marie living at 2233 Turner Ave. with a daughter Winifred, age 21. The other 2 children are probably married.

I am most interested in finding out the parents & grandparents of this couple & perhaps Marie's maiden name, so that I can try to fit them into my Sykora family in the area of Sec & Zleby. Also interested in finding descendants & relatives in U.S. or Czech Republic. Thanks ahead of time for any info or contacts.
Judy

Re: Sykora family from Zleby

Posted: 17 Aug 2011 12:10PM GMT
My family connects to Sykoras from Skryje, which is very near Zleby. See http://sramek.net

Re: Sykora family from Zleby

Posted: 18 Aug 2011 9:53PM GMT
Surnames: SYKORA, STREIT, PROCHAZKA
I'm visiting my grandkids in IL & don't have any genealogy info with me, but I'll reply when I get back to Anchorage. I took a quick look at Sykora & Prochazka, & I think there may be a connection, at least a distant connection. Some distantly related Prochazkas & Sykoras emigrated to Chicago.
Judy

Re: Sykora family from Zleby to Chicago

Posted: 23 Aug 2011 10:00PM GMT
Which might explain why my Srameks (her mother was the Sykora from near Zleby) were listed on the ship's manifest as going to Chicago. But they ended up in Nebraska 5 years later. If the mother-in-law's brother or nephew lived in Chicago, then it would be reasonable to migrate to there.

Re: Sykora family from Zleby to Chicago

Posted: 25 Aug 2011 2:46AM GMT
Surnames: PROCHAZKA, SYKORA
I looked thru the names in your website, but at this point none of them fit into my family. Most of my Sykoras were from Sec (closer to Chrudim), with a few from the Zleby area. So far the Vaclav & Marie Sykora in my first message haven't been connected to my other Sykoras either. I figure they are probably connected distantly.
Also have Prochazkas from the Ronov & Zleby area, some of whom migrated to Chicago & some to Hungary, but so far your names don't fit with mine. Again, since they're from the same general area, they're probably related distantly.
Are you doing any research in Czech Republic for more ancestors?

Czech Research

Posted: 25 Aug 2011 8:34PM GMT
At this time, I'm only working on our Moravian side. That would be 3 lines for me and 1 for my husband. I'm using the actapublica site, but the Bohemian records I'd need are not yet online.

Re: Czech Research

Posted: 26 Aug 2011 3:29AM GMT
Surnames: SYKORA, PROCHAZKA
I've been keeping an eye on those records too because I have more names I'm looking for, if they ever get them all online. Plzen too, for the other side of my family. I don't know whether I'll be able to find much since I don't speak or understand Bohemian. Let me know if you ever find anything that might relate to both our families.

Re: Family Names

Posted: 26 Aug 2011 1:49PM GMT
Ok. Bob's Sykoras are from Brobruvka, Moravia. My Sykoras are from Skryje, Bohemia. But one of the records on Bob's side says the ancestor was a Hungarian citizen... Someone else on the message boards had the same situation, and so we are trying to figure out what that means -- Gallus Civis, Hungarian Citizen.

Re: Family Names

Posted: 26 Aug 2011 6:10PM GMT
Surnames: SYKORA, PROCHAZKA
Mary, here's what I have on the Hungarian Sykora line.
Josef Sykora b. 1835 Zleby was in the military in Hungary & returned to Zleby to marry Maria Prochazka b. 1853 Zleby (very young). They immed. returned to Hungary where they died in 1908 & 1915 Koszeg Hungary. He changed spelling of name to Hungarian Szikora. 5 kids.
Son Miksa b. 1884 Nemetecska Jugoslavia - married Hedvig Goetz b. 1901 Hungary. They died 1968 & 1988 Mosonmagyarovar Hungary. 2 kids.
Son Jozsef (Joe) b. 1924 Magyarovar Hungary - maried Ildiko Bathory b. 1931 Budapest. In 1950s they escaped from Communists moving in & walked out to Vienna Austria with 2 yr old daughter. Now they live in Calgary.

Probably easier if we continue to email off-board. Let me know if you see a connection. Here's my contact info: skigranny@gmail.com
Judy (Wanderer) Petersen

Zleby and related villages records now online

Posted: 28 May 2012 2:30PM GMT
The Zleby records are now online in actapublica.

Use the SOA Praha archives in your search, then Zleby. The list includes both Evangelical and Catholic records.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic