Search for content in message boards

Irish Families in Renfrew County

Irish Families in Renfrew County

elizabeth (View posts)
Posted: 12 Aug 2000 12:00PM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 14 Dec 2005 3:26PM GMT
Surnames: Bradley, Curry, Rowan, McDonough, McKelvie, Russell, Condon, Grogan
I am doing research on a large group of Irish ancesters in Renfrew County. Most settled in the Eganville - Lake Dore - Opeongo areas. Some came to Canada as early as 1805, but most settled here after the 1840's.

My Bradley, Curry, Rowan, McDonough, McKelvie, Russell, Condon and Grogan ancestors were all Roman Catholic. The other family names I have listed were Protestant.

I have all the Founding Family series of books and other research material as well. I am looking now to expand my information on these families in Ireland and to make connections with other descendants of these families to continue building my tree.

I would love to hear from other descendants of these families. I am especially interested at the present time in putting together a family tree for our next Bradley - Curry family reunion however I enjoy digging up all my roots at any time!

Harrison A.Condon

Brenda Condon (View posts)
Posted: 15 Aug 2000 12:00PM GMT
Edited: 28 Nov 2005 9:35PM GMT
Surnames: Condon
Do you have any info on Harrison A.Condon

Irish Families of Renfrew County

Posted: 16 Aug 2000 12:00PM GMT
Edited: 14 Dec 2001 4:53AM GMT
Surnames: Byers, Smith, Callahan, Kydd
The following are my ancestors, some of whom were part of the Founding Families of Renfrew County. Would appreciate any information you have for these families.

Thomas Byers b.1777 Antrim, Ireland/ County Down.
Robert Robertson Smith b. 1810 Peterhead, Scotland &
Elizabeth Callahan b. 1811 Castlemartyr/Co.Cork
married at Queenston, Ireland 1831 came to Quebec September 1831 on ship Champlain of Quebec.
Thomas Kydd, Mary Ann Leech; Eliza Ellen Kydd b. 1874

R. R. & Elizabeth Callaghan Smith

Posted: 18 Aug 2000 12:00PM GMT
Edited: 28 Nov 2005 9:38PM GMT
Surnames: Smith, Callaghan
R.R. Smith and his wife Elizabeth Callaghan are also my ancestors. I am also doing some research on the Kidd family. Please contact me.
Fay Bennett

Catherine Condon McDonough

elizabeth (View posts)
Posted: 28 Aug 2000 12:00PM GMT
Edited: 28 Nov 2005 9:37PM GMT
Surnames: Condon, McDonough, O'Kane
Unfortunately, no, but I will keep an eye out.

I have very little Condon info. The Condon line I am working on is through my gg-grandmother Catherine Condon who was married to Patrick McDonough. She came to Canada in the late 1840's with her first husband George O'Kane and 4 children. Her husband and children died on the boat coming over. She met Patrick McDonough either in New Brunswick or near Ottawa (then called Bytown) as records show that they marrid in Bytown. They lived for a time in southern Ontario before taking up land near Mount St. Patrick, Renfrew County.

Are your Condons from the Mt. St. Patrick area? Are they descended from Patrick Condon and Mary Scully? If they are I would love to learn if there was any connection between our Catherine and the Patrick Condon who also settled in the Mt. St. Patrick area. It would be nice to learn if they were related. I always wondered if Catherine could have been travelling with a brother and his family when she met Patrick McDonough, and whether their decision to later take up land in Renfrew County was related to this connection?

elizabeth

Price, Gorby genealogy

Posted: 17 Sep 2000 12:00PM GMT
Edited: 12 Apr 2002 4:56AM GMT
Surnames: Price, Pryce, Gorby, Gorbie
I have been searching for any early information on Charles (born circa 1814) and Mary Price. Mary's maiden name was Gorby. I have seen the following variations of the names as Pryce and Gorbie. I do know Charles and Mary came to Canada in the late 1830's from possibly Westmeath, Ireland. They resided in Renfrew County as early as the 1842 census. Their son to whom I am a decendant, Samuel Price, was born 1846 in Horton Twp, Renfrew Co. Mary died circa 1850 and Charles married a young woman named Eliza (Elizabeth) Payne in 1851. They moved most of the children to Hastings County and had several more themselves. Samuel married Susannah Van Allen in 1868 and they had a son named Benjamin Franklin Price. He eventually married a woman from Jones Twp., Renfrew County in 1896 in Eganville. Her name was Annie Isabelle Dunn daughter of William and Ann Dunn.

I would certainly appreciate any further information on the early days of the Price's in Renfrew County. As you can see I have very little.

Thank you, Sonyia Way.

Henry Baker & Elizabeth Ann Leech Smith

Robert Smith (View posts)
Posted: 26 Sep 2000 12:00PM GMT
Edited: 28 Nov 2005 10:07PM GMT
Surnames: Smith, Leech
Elizabeth Ann Leech April 19 1886 Rankin, Lake Dore area
Henry Baker Smith married Nov. 22 1992 April 19 1866
Mar. 24 1949 My Grand Parents

Ellen CLIFFORD O'BRIEN

Posted: 4 Oct 2000 12:00PM GMT
Edited: 28 Nov 2005 10:09PM GMT
Surnames: Clifford, Condon, O'Brian
Hi. I am researching my mothers line. My mother's grandmother was Ellen CLIFFORD, she married Michael O'BRIEN
May 2, 1858 in St. Joseph's Church, Douro, Ontario.
She is the daughter of William CLIFFORD and Margaret CONDON
do you have a Margaret in your line. Ellen was born in Otonabee or Asphodel Twp., May 29, 1841.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Re: Elizabeth Jordan d/o John Jordan

Ann Gonneau (View posts)
Posted: 3 Sep 2001 4:00PM GMT
Edited: 16 Mar 2014 1:43PM GMT
Surnames: Jordan, Pigeon
I am looking for any information on Elizabeth Jordan, born in Wexford Ireland about 1879 daughter of Mr. & Mrs. John Jordan. The family came to Canada around 1892 and settled in Osceola, Ontario. She married my grandfather Archibald Pigeon in 1896 at the age of 17. Thank you.

Re: McDonough; Renfrew

David Botting (View posts)
Posted: 6 Feb 2002 6:11AM GMT
Edited: 29 Nov 2005 12:31AM GMT
Surnames: McDonough, Wilson
Hi Elizabeth,

I have McDonough ancesters from Renfrew Co. James McDonough and Bridjet ???. James Jr b.abt.1837married May 20, 1861 Jessie Willson b. abt. 1836 They later moved to Hastings Co.

Have you heard of this family? I'm interested in contacting any one researching the McDonough surname in Renfrew and Hastings Co.

per page

Find a board about a specific topic