Search for content in message boards

Orphanages or Adoption Help

Orphanages or Adoption Help

Posted: 11 Feb 2010 5:22PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Jones, Krucker
I am looking for information on or about an orphanage some where near Ipswitch South Dakota. My late father-in-law was adopted somewhere between 1924 and 1930. All I have is stories from people that have seen some documents or remember him talking about remembering the orphanage. He was born in 1924 so I am thinking that it is possible it was later in the 20's. There are also stories that he had a brother there too they were not adopted together so I am unsure of how to go about looking for any information on his original family...

Blaine Willard Jones was Born Feb of 1924 in Spencer and adopted to the Jones family, Pearl and John, of Ipswitch.

Any direction on where to go would be greatly appreciated!
Thanks
Talina

Re: Orphanages or Adoption Help

Posted: 9 Mar 2010 12:39AM GMT
You don't say what information you have for your father-in-law, and what exactly you are searching for. Are you looking for the names of his original parents? The name of his (possible) brother and contact with his descendants?

If so, what have you already done to receive a copy of his birth certificate?

The 1930 census for Kent, Edmunds County, SD lists Blaine as the son of John S. and Pearl R. JONES, with his parents' birth places given as the birth places of John and Pearl...

Beth
not related

Posted: 9 Mar 2010 2:27PM GMT
Surnames: Bullard, Jones, Ostrander
I was looking for information on his birth parents. I found a post on a another thread leading me to The Childrens Home of South Dakota and I have his entire file from there. That included his original birth parents. Now I am trying to figure out how to get the court records since I opened Pandora's box with my discovery.

It seems that Blaine's birth mother and father divorced in 1925, a year after he was born, and 2 years later she was committed to Redfield along with his 2 older brothers.

I have made a huge amount of progress in the week I have had the information but there seems to be as many questions as answers. His birth parents were Herbert Bullard and Nellie May Ostrander both were originally from Spencer South Dakota. The two Brothers were James and Richard Bullard. I have no idea what direction to look now. I have found Nellie and the boys on the 1930 census in Redfield not sure if I have located Herbert, and located the family in 1920 but no other records.

Thanks for your interest

Posted: 9 Mar 2010 9:43PM GMT
Surnames: Bullard, Ostrander
Hi,
I'm not related, I just enjoy looking.

By now you may have found a great deal more information. There is so much out there on this family.

Herbert Wilmer Bullard WWI draft b 9 Apr 1888 Sioux Falls SD
living in Minnehaha SD w/ wife and child

SD Marriage Index H W. Bullard married Nellie Ostrander 1 Jan 1915 Nellie age 23 lives Spencer, McCook Co SD H.W. age 27 Sioux Fall SD

1900 census Ramsey, McCook SD Herbert Bullard b Apr 1889 (probably wrong) is with
father L. A. b Oct 1858 NY parents NY
wife Nancy b. July 1856 Indiana f. PA m Virginia
Bertha age 13 b. Dec 1884 b. SD
Walter age 10 Mar 1886 b. SD

One interesting fact is that Bertha May Bullard married Ross Blaine Ryder. Could be where Blaine's name came from.
Bertha and Ross had a son Gordon Eldridge Ryder b. 17 Dec 1902. Gordon died Apr 1977 Seattle, King WA. Bertha died 8 Jul 1925 Codington SD.

In WW II draft regist. Herbert Wilmer Bullard b 9 Apr 1888 Sioux Falls SD is in Vandenburgh Indiana with wife Madgie and employed by the WPA.

In the 1910 census Nellie Ostrander age 17 is in Wheeler Lyon Iowa with father John W. age 53 b. NY, mother "Orilla" b. MN and siblings Alta age 14, Pearl age 11, Jesse age 20, Alvard 2. John is a hotel proprietor.

The 1900 census Lloyd Dikinson Iowa gives their birthdates.
John Feb 1857
"Orila" Jan 1859
Clara B. Jul 1887
Jessie L Feb 1890
Nellie May 1892
Altie L Apr 1895
Pearlie May 1898

In 1920 John A Ostrander is in Spencer McCook SD with his second wife cora M., Jess L. 29, and Arvord 12.

SD Death Index shows "Orllia" Ostrander died 14 May 1918.
Jesse L. Ostrander d 4 June 1938 McCook Co.

This only scratches the surface. In addition there are several online trees that include Nellie and her family.

You did the hard work by getting the adoption records. The rest will be easier. Have fun.

Barbara

Posted: 9 Mar 2010 11:47PM GMT
Herbert BULLARD and older brother Walter are in Salem, Marion County, Oregon, in 1910 census, both single. Both state born SD, father NY, mother IL.

I believe this is your Herbert in 1930:

1930 Tennessee, Robertson County, Civil District 10

BULLARD, Hebert [sic], head, renting, age 42, age 38 at first marriage, born SD, father NY, mother Illinois general farmer.
--- Madgie, wife, age 24, first marriage age 20, KY, TN, KY.

World War II draft registration card:
Herbert Wilmer BULLARD
residence: RR6 - 2008 Fricsse [spelling?] Ave - Evansville, Vanderburgh, Ind.
age 54, born Sioux Falls, SD, April 9, 1888
wife Madgie Bullard
employer: WPA

Posted: 10 Mar 2010 12:39AM GMT
Nellie BULLARD obituary

Aberdeen Daily News, Aberdeen, SD
September 15, 1964

Mrs. Bullard, 72, Dies at St. Luke's

Mrs. Herbert (Nellie May) Bullard, 72, of 613 2nd Ave. N.W., died Monday at St. Luke's Hospital.
Services will be at 2 p.m. Thursday at the Gates Funeral Home with Dr. J. Harley Thompson of the First Methodist Church officiating. Burial will be in Riverside Memorial Park Cemetery.
Mrs. Bullard was born May 22, 1892 at Clay, Iowa and grew to young womanhood at Spencer, S.D. She was married to Herbert Bullard at Spencer in 1912. They made their home in Portland, Ore. Mr. Bullard died in 1940 and Mrs. Bullard came to Aberdeen in 1946, residing here since. She was a member of the Methodist Church.
Survivors include three sons, Richard and James, of Aberdeen, and Blaine, present address unknown, and three sisters, Mrs. Frank Henzlik, Mitchell; Mrs. Addie Loll, Des Moines, Iowa, and mrs. Pearl Broderick, in California.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic