Search for content in message boards

Joseph Jean b. Indiana

Joseph Jean b. Indiana

Posted: 21 Jun 2006 12:10AM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Jean, Pamplin, McClure, White, Tilson, Lowe
I am looking for anyone who can clear up the confusion surrounding Joseph Jean(s) in Lincoln, TN. I was under the impression that Joseph Jean was the son of David Jean and Grisella White and that he had married Martha Pamplin in 1855 and Catherine McClure in 1857. However, a census report I found in Missouri in 1860 conflicted with this information. Also the ages of the children involved caused some problems. Joseph Jean would be my great great grandfather.

The Joseph Jean that married Martha Pamplin was born between 1832 and 1834 in Owen, Washington, IN. There are records that confirm that David and Grisella Jean were in Washington, IN in 1830 and 1840. They then returned to Lincoln, TN and Joseph can be found with his parents in the 1850 census. The Tennessee marriage records indicate that Joseph Jean married Martha Pamplin in Lincoln, TNin 1855. In 1850 this Martha Pamplin was living with her parents in Giles, TN and she was born in 1838. In 1860 this Joseph and Martha Jeans can be found in the 1860 census in Turnback Twp, Lawrence County, MO. Their children include Elizabeth Jean b. 1858 and James Jean b. 1859. This census also shows Joseph being born in Indiana, and it matches the birth date and birth location for Martha. This Joseph died sometime in 1865 or before 1865, and Martha remarried Lewis Burkhart b. 1838, TN. They can be found in the 1900 census in Indian Territory, Choctaw Nation, Twp 7. Also in 1900 my great grandmother Eliza Jean can be found in Indian Territory, Choctaw Nation, Twp 6 married to William Lowe. This census and every census afterwards indicates that my great grandmother was born in 1863, but I don’t know if Eliza is the same as the Elizabeth found in the 1860 MO census. In the 1910 census for my great grandmother in Myrick Twp, Johnston Cty, OK she is recorded as Elizabeth, but that’s the only time that can be found.

At the same time in the 1860 Census for Lincoln, TN you can find Joseph Jean married to Catherine McClure. This Joseph Jean is recorded in the 1860 census as being born in 1834 in TN. Their children Elisha Jean b. 1858 and Martha Jean b. 1859. This Joseph Jean is the one that perished at Richmond during the Civil War. In the 1880 census for Lincoln, TN Catherine can be found living with her son Elisha. Based strictly on the age and place of birth, the closest parents I can find to this particular Joseph Jean is Wyatt Jean Jr. and Margaret Tilson. Wyatt and Margaret’s son Joseph Jean was born in 1837 in TN.

Can anyone clear this mystery up?

Re: Joseph Jean b. Indiana

Posted: 4 Jan 2008 6:56PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Gean/Jean/Jane/Jayne (e, es, s) Families
I have not been able to determine who the Joseph Jean was that married Catherine McClure...but there are several Jean men in Lincoln Co., TN who are "unlinked".

Wyatt & Margaret Tilson Jean's son married a Mary, and he can be found in Greene Co., TN on the 1850-1880 census' - I haven't been able to locate him in 1900 yet, but he died in 1901 and apparently used the spelling Janes.

I feel sure that the Joseph that married Catherine was a sibling of the Wiley Jean that married Rosannah Webb, but have not been able to place either of them with a parent.

The Joseph that married Martha Pamplin is surely the son of David & Grisella White Jean.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions