Search for content in message boards

James Messer/Mercer in No. Carolina

James Messer/Mercer in No. Carolina

Posted: 4 Feb 2000 12:19PM GMT
Edited: 4 Sep 2001 12:39AM GMT
Looking for any thing on James Messer/Mercer who is found on the 1790 census of Caswell Co., No. Carolina. One known daughter, Jemima Mercer m. to John Gately. Does anyone know of other children for James? Thanks!

James Mercer of N. Carolina

Deb Duncan (View posts)
Posted: 26 Feb 2000 5:57PM GMT
Yes, I have more information about him. James also had James Jr. and John as well as Jemima. I'd be interested to hear what you know about him, if you know his wife or parents' names. You probably know James murdered his son-in-law John Gately.

James Mercer - North Carolina

Shirley Mercer Biskobing (View posts)
Posted: 8 Mar 2000 8:22PM GMT
My name is Shirley Mercer Biskobing, daughter of David Edwin Mercer, Jr. My Grandfather was David Edwin Mercer, Sr.(Ft. Worth, Texas). I am a direct decendent of James Mercer of North Carolina. Would like to correspond with anyone that has information regarding my ancestry.

James Mercer of S.C.

Posted: 9 Mar 2000 5:09PM GMT
The information that you had requested is as follows: James Mercer was married to Polly Brooks on 07/01/1818. Polly Brooks parents were Thomas Brooks and Susannah Teague. The children of James and Polly Brooks Mercer were: John, James Jr., Polly, Susan, Nancy, Crecy, Jemima, and Phoeba. If you have any additional information regarding my family I would appreciate any help that you could give me.

James Mercer of N.C.

Posted: 9 Mar 2000 5:24PM GMT
The information that you had requested is as follows: James Mercer was married to Polly Brooks on 07/01/1818. Polly Brooks parents were Thomas Brooks and Susannah Teague. The children of James and Polly Brooks Mercer were: John, James Jr., Polly, Susan, Nancy, Crecy, Jemima, and Phoeba. If you have any additional information regarding my family I would appreciate any help that you could give me.

James Mercer of N.C.

Deb Duncan (View posts)
Posted: 10 Mar 2000 5:42PM GMT
Hi Shirley,

Thanks for your information. The NAMES sound right (the 3 children I knew about of James are a subset of your list), but the DATE cannot be right. I have James born around 1722, Jemima (his daughter) born around 1770 (itself perhaps a little unusual), which means James could not have been married in 1818. Even 1718 doesn't seem to make sense. Any thoughts? Do you have ancestors of James? (assuming it's the same one). Thanks!

James Mercer of N.C.

Posted: 11 Mar 2000 12:00AM GMT
Jemima Mercer was born 07/07/1787. I do not have the date of her death. She married Sam Kilgore 04/26/1803. I hope this helps. Are you and I related? It would be nice if we could compare notes.

James Mercer - continued

Deb Duncan (View posts)
Posted: 11 Mar 2000 9:39AM GMT
Hi Shirley,

We may be related or it may be that your James Mercer and daughter Jemima are different from my James Mercer and daughter Jemima. I have her born around 1770. She married John Gately January 30, 1787 in Caswell County, NC. She may well have married again after her first husband died (killed by her father) around 1805/06.

However, though I have her born earlier than you, we both have her born earlier than your stated marriage date of her parents in 1818. Can you add any clarification to this?

Thanks!
Posted: 25 Mar 2000 6:00PM GMT
Shirley, sorry it took so long to find your message. I have the hardest time finding this message board. My husband is the great grandson of John Edwin Mercer and Elizabeth Coil. He met David (Hyde) who was the brother of his grandmother Florence. We have been working on this Mercer line for thirty years. I have lots of information to share with you. Email me direct at jerrypclark@earthlink.net. Looking forward to hearing from you.

Mercer reply to Deb

Posted: 25 Mar 2000 6:15PM GMT
Deb, the James Messer/Mercer in N. Caro. had a daughter, Jemima, m. to John Gately. James shot and killed his son in law John in 1805, was found quilty and sentenced to death. Story goes he was given clemency because of his age, 84. I believe(but have no proof), he also had a son John who married Lucretia Johnston in S. Car. they migrated to Ky., had a son named James who married Polly Brooks. Email me at jerrypclark@earthlink.net. I have lots of information on the Mercers. I've worked on them for 30 years.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions