Search for content in message boards

Robert GROSS of Butler County, Kentucky

Robert GROSS of Butler County, Kentucky

Posted: 15 Nov 2011 6:28PM GMT
Classification: Query
I'm a beginner to genealogy research, but my mother has asked me to find out more about her grandfather, Robert GROSS. As I'm stuck in a day job and not able to freely travel to the area in question, I've only been able to search on-line for answers.

He lived in Butler County, Kentucky, and was born in 1882. In 1925 he died and I have found two Kentucky Death Certificates for him. One had Minnie Gross, my great-grandmother, as the informant and the other had William GROSS as the informant. Nearly everything matches except for that, and the fact that William filled out Robert's parent section fully.

According to William, Robert's parents were George GROSS and Martha WASHINGTON. There were several men with the name George Gross who might have been Robert's father, and I can't figure out which one.

If anyone knows more about this family, I'd love to hear about it. I'd like to find out who Robert's father was, and the icing on the cake would be to know why there were two death certificates, and who William was.

Thanks!

Mildred Perkins mlperkin@indiana.edu

Re: Robert GROSS of Butler County, Kentucky

Posted: 5 Dec 2011 7:36PM GMT
Surnames: Gross, Washington
KY Death records 1911-1955 per familysearch.org
Robert G Gross
d 1925 in Reedyville Butler Co KY
male
father George Gross
mother Martha Washington

KY Death index 1911-2000
Robert G Gross
d. 4 Feb 1925
Butler Co
age 42
Vol 12
cert#5559

KY Death Records 1911-1955 per familysearch.org
Robt Gross
d. 1925 in Butler KY
male
father George Graso (probably should be George Gross)-it was probably hard to read on original

1918 draft registration
Rob Gross
living Round Hill Butler KY
age 36 b. Nov 2 1882
farming employed by R Hunt
relative Minnie Gross in Round Hill Butler KY
med
med
blue eyes
brown hair
no other marks
12 Sep 1918

1910 KY Butler Co Dist4
Gross Robert G boarder 26 s KY KY KY farmer
living with the Johnson family

I don't know if this has helped or not. This is not my family. Good luck.

Posted: 6 Dec 2011 8:53PM GMT
Thank you. For some reason, he never came up for me in a military search. I must improve my google-fu.

Posted: 6 Dec 2011 9:39PM GMT
Surnames: Gross, Washington
The draft registration was found on ancestry.com and not with a google search. The trick is to search by a partial name. As you can see he was listed as Rob not Robert. If you search for Robert it won't find it. If you search for Rob* it will search for the Rob only and then anythin that comes after that. Sometimes Robert is abbreviated as Robt or Rob't.

You must use the "soundex" search function in the surname as well as the partial with the *. First names do not have soundex searching only full and partial *.

I hope this has been helpful.

Posted: 7 Dec 2011 8:16PM GMT
Yeah, sorry. "Googl-fu" is supposed to be a funny way of saying, "searching ability".

I appreciate your help, I had had no idea my g-grandfather had signed up.

Posted: 28 Nov 2012 4:11AM GMT
Don't have much to offer. I do know a Robert Calvin Gross left Harlan County, KY and moved to Phila., PA as a young man. When he married he had an infant son with him, named Robert Calvin Gross Jr. Junior is 63 now and lives with us and has dementia; would love to know more about his family...just wondering if there is a connection.

Posted: 11 Dec 2012 4:30PM GMT
I'm sorry, if there is a connection I don't know what it is. There were an awful lot of George and Robert Gross in that place and time, so it's been difficult to sort them out. Good luck with your searches!
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions