Search for content in message boards

Jane Smith, McDonald or McLeod in Detroit

Jane Smith, McDonald or McLeod in Detroit

Posted: 26 Dec 2012 4:53PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Smith, McDonald, McLeod, Middleton
I am hoping someone can assist me in my search. I am looking for the death date for Jane Smith, who first married John McDonald in Canada, then married Murdock McLeod in Canada.
When Murdock died in Ontario, Canada in 1899, Jane moved to Detroit Michigan to live with her daughter and son-in-law.
They were James Middleton and Christine Middleton (nee McDonald).
I have located Jane McLeod on the 1920 census, listed as mother-in-law with James Middleton and family. Jane is not listed on the 1930 census and I know that she died in Detroit.
Can anyone help with her death date?
Jane was my great grand-aunt, born Scotland approximately 1850, depending on which record you look at.
I have all the info on her except her death date.
Dave

Re: Jane Smith, McDonald or McLeod in Detroit

Posted: 27 Dec 2012 7:35PM GMT
I’m not related to any member of this family.

1940 is the last available census at this time.

Free online MICH. death certs. stop at 1920

Q. Where do I go to get a birth certificate or death certificate?
A. The Detroit Health Department, Vital Records Division, Herman Kiefer Health Complex, 1151 Taylor (zip 48202-1732) near the John C. Lodge expressway. The phone numbers are 313-876-4049 [recorded message] and 313-876-4133. Person must have died in Wayne County, Michigan & within the city limits of Detroit. Cost is $20.00. Call first before ordering as pricing may have changed. Hours are 8 – 4pm Eastern time SHARP Mon - Fri. FREE parking. Cash, certified check, money order are accepted. Phone lookups will not be done. A walk-in service is available. Public browsing of the records is not permitted. Make payment to – City of Detroit.

DO NOT REQUEST A DEATH CERT. FOR A MARRIED WOMAN USING HER MAIDEN NAME.

Personal checks or credit/debit cards are not accepted.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
Wayne County excluding Detroit but within Wayne county, Michigan
Cost is $22.00 [pricing may have changed]

Cathy M. Garrett- Clerk of Wayne County
C/o Birth and Death Records Division
201 Coleman A. Young Municipal Center
Detroit, Mi 48226

http://www.waynecounty.com/

Posted: 27 Jan 2013 3:58AM GMT
The Burton Historical Collection of the Detroit Main Public Library has an index of deaths in the City of Detroit. Contact them for a lookup of her death certificate number and then you can order one from the State of Michigan Community Health Department (the City doesn't keep records that old anymore... I know, I went all the way down to Detroit for a death certificate from 1926 and was told to contact the state.)

Good luck!

Posted: 29 Jan 2013 4:16PM GMT
Thank you for taking the time to respond. Looks like that's the route I will have to follow.

Posted: 1 Feb 2013 1:00AM GMT
City's website has a PDF to order the death certificate by mail from them and it's cheaper than ordering from the State. Just make sure that she appears on the Detroit Death Index. In fact, the Burton referred me to the Detroit office for a death record at the beginning of this month.

This is the link I was given.

http://www.detroitmi.gov/Default.aspx?tabid=1002

Posted: 2 Feb 2013 10:11PM GMT
Georgia,

Are you sure you can order old records from the city? I went in person to Herman Kiefer to get a 1924 death record and was told any records older than 1970 could only be obtained through the state. Perhaps the people at Burton aren't aware of this? Even the city's own website says all records are kept at Herman Keifer but obviously that is incorrect.

Posted: 2 Feb 2013 10:15PM GMT
That's what others have said. Only 1970 to present are available @ Herman.

U can call but you would most likely get a recording -

313-876-4049 and 313-876-4133

NOTE -
Person must have died in Wayne County, Michigan & within the city limits of Detroit. Cost is $20.00. Call first before ordering as pricing may have changed.

I don't know the current pricing.

Posted: 3 Feb 2013 1:03AM GMT
I was going by what their website said. I would try calling but not on a Monday or Friday. The trouble with calling is that you have to hear about the City Clerk every time you get transferred to another option.

I worked on indexing the Michigan County Death records from 1921-1951 or 1952. They have all been indexed as of December and most of them have gone through arbitration. If you can wait awhile, they will be available on the Mormon Church's website-www.familysearch.org

You will be able to download the image for free rather than having to pay a fee-the State is either $26.00 or $27.00 if you know the date of death. Otherwise, they charge $12.00 per year look up on the top of the original fee.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions