Search for content in message boards

3 first cousin marriages in one family

3 first cousin marriages in one family

Posted: 31 Jan 2012 2:31PM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 2 Feb 2012 3:49PM GMT
In tracing a 'side branch' of the family tree, I found two sisters and their brother who married two brothers and their sister. So far, not so unusual, I suppose: I presumed that the families became close after the first of these weddings (in 1909 in Brentford; the other two were in 1918, in Acton Green and Brentford). However, subsequent research showed that they were all first cousins!

I know that first cousin marriages were not uncommon, but would 3 such marriages be especially unusual? I'd appreciate any comments.

(I've checked most of these findings, so I'm pretty sure I'm right).

Paul

Re: 3 first cousin marriages in one family

Posted: 31 Jan 2012 2:51PM GMT
First cousin marriages were relatively rare amongst "ordinary" folk, being slightly frowned on - not so much from a fear of genetic disorders but from a certain squeamishness about the wrong kind of relationship developing between young people who may have grown up as semi-siblings when families lived close together. Marriage between cousins who grew up apart tended to be more acceptable.

The instance you have found must be practically unique and, if it was a close-knit family, frankly creepy!

Posted: 1 Feb 2012 8:15AM GMT
The U,S,A is the only country in the western world with restrictions to marrying 1st cousins, although 26 states allow it. The children of first-cousin marriages have an increased risk of genetic disorders. Apparently 10% of all marriages world wide are 1st cousins but it is predominantly in the middle east. Charles Darwin and his wife Emma were 1st cousins

Others : Johann Sebastien Bach, Werner von Braun, Albert Einstein, Rudy Giuliani, Jessie James, Mary and Joseph, Aemilia Lanyer, Jerry Lee Lewis, Sir John A. MacDonald, Prophet Muhammad, Edgar Allen Poe, Christopher Robin, Franklin D. Roosevelt, Greta Scacchi, Queen Victoria, H.G. Wells all married cousins

I would say that your case though must be pretty unique, possibly frowned upon by a lot of people, this is what I wanted from my tree sheep rustlers, armed robbers, murderers something colourful [but far enough back not to be embarrassing] to talk about in these dreary days mine were all potters or miners nearly all from staffordshire as far back as the 1700 really boring lot. Any way glad you posted your comment interesting situation good luck with your research. Just a thought I wonder what the relationship terminology will be for each families offspring's to each others???

Posted: 1 Feb 2012 12:00PM GMT
Caro and mugwump,

Many thanks for your comments; they're very helpful. I was aware that first-cousin marriages were legal in the UK, but I didn't think that three in one family was at all common! I'm going to double check the addresses, just to see how close they were, though presumably once one set had married, that would have brought the families together more. I still need to work out what they would call each other!

In looking into this, I found recent research which suggests that first-cousin marriages are no more likely to have children with genetic defects than women over 40.

It certainly provides some interest: otherwise, in this line there are just a few labourers, a railway porter or two and a soldier!

Thanks again.

Posted: 19 Jun 2012 3:53PM GMT
So far in my family I have uncovered 4 sets of Great Great Grandparents who were indeed first cousins and cousins from those grandparents who married 1st cousins. It seems in my tree that it was the norm...

Posted: 21 Jun 2012 10:56AM GMT
I would say that that really does seem to be unique, but you say that it is the norm in your family. Were they all living close to each other? And what did they call each other (unless they just used first names)?

Thanks for replying and best wishes,

Paul

Posted: 10 Jul 2012 7:34PM GMT
Hi,

Just a though... I have a lot of 1st 2nd and 3rd cousin marriages in my tree...

They are traveller/Gypsies?? could this be the case?
Kazi

Posted: 11 Jul 2012 2:18PM GMT
That hadn't occurred to me, Kazi. I've no indication so far of anyone in the family being a Traveller/Gypsy, but I shall look into the possibility.

Thanks,

Paul

Posted: 13 Oct 2012 6:15PM GMT
One answer to questions about what situations like this do to kinship terminology would be the one given by this site and/or Family Tree Maker. Just make one of the affected people the "home" person of the tree temporarily. Then use the "relationship to me" feature for each of the others.

Posted: 15 Oct 2012 1:01PM GMT

Paul
per page

Find a board about a specific topic