Search for content in message boards

Plz help with Smith Family From Franklin Ohio

Plz help with Smith Family From Franklin Ohio

Posted: 5 Mar 2013 10:26AM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Smith
I would be extremely grateful if anyone could help me tracing information on my Grandfather and his children.

I have been having an difficult time in my research and could really do with some help.

The things I know for definite are as follows.

William Richard Smith, Born 8th July 1912 in Ohio
parent are
(Father)
William Henry Smith Birth 16 Jun 1868 in Ross County Ohio, USA
Death 11 Nov 1947 in kinnikinnick, Township, Ross County, Ohio
(Mother)Samantha Jane Hall, (also known as Matty)
Birth 28 May 1888 in Ohio
Death 21 Dec 1964 in Chillicothe, Ross, Ohio, USA

On the jan 1932 William married Loretta Louise Thiele in Franklin, Ohio. There is much confusion over this marriage record. Loretta was under-age it would seem and had previously been an inmate at the Industrial School Delaware. So she used her mothers name to wed "Norma Carty" ..they where divorced in They where divorced in Los Angeles County, California in October 1942, where her correct name " Loretta Louise Thiele was given in the Divorce Decree.
From the marriage they had 2 children..

William H Smith II Born 20th December 1932, Ohio
and
Norma Jane Smith born 20th February 1934, Ohio

In December 1944 he then married a Juannita Rose West (Turner) in Franklin, Ohio.
They had a daughter Judith lynn born on the 14th December 1945. Ohio
Juanita had a son from a previous spouse called David Leroy West born 9th November 1936

From Military records I know that my grandfather had the following residencies listed as his main residencies.
August 1941: 2846 Blvd, El Monte, Calif
January 1942: 515 1/2 Dayton Ave, Alhamba, CA
Dec 1945: 49E, Russell ST, Columbus, Ohio
Oct 1946: HDQ, Detch, 444th Bomb, Gp, Davis, Monthan fld, Tuscon,Arizona
3d Jan 1947. He was stationed at HQ, 43 Bomb, Gp, Davis, Tuscon, AZ

(Obviously because of these date, I am not able to find my grandfather in any census)

I would really like to find the other children of my grandfather, but so far have been unsuccessful in finding any thing other than birth record and the 1940 census. I have been unable to find marriage records or anything else. The only details I have for each is.

William H Smith II Born 20th December 1932, Ohio
on the 1st April 1940 he was residing at 2870 E Valley, El Monte, Los Angeles, California, United States
Jan 1942:Route 8 Chillicothe, Ohio
Dec 1945: 3626 Walnut St, Lynwood, CA

Norma Jane Smith born 20th February 1934, Ohio
1 Apil 1940: 2870 E Valley, El Monte, Los Angeles, California, United States
Jan 1942: 515 1/2 Dayton Ave, Alhamba, CA
OCT 1946: 3626 Walnut St, Lynwood, CA

I would also love to trace the other daughter of William Smith & Juanita
Judith Lynn Smith Birth 14 Dec 1945 in Columbus, Franklin, Ohio, United States
17th April 1946: 1038 1/2 N.High St. Columbus, Ohio
27th August 1946: 49E Russell St, Columbus, Ohio
11th Feb 1947: 520 Roskuge Avenue, Tuscon, AZ

I would dearly love to try and find the children of my Grandfather "William Henry Smith" these are my mothers siblings who she never got to know

I would be so grateful for any assistance. I have been trying for years now on Ancestry and am not getting any further in my quests.

Best Wishes

Matt

Re: Plz help with Smith Family From Franklin Ohio

Posted: 5 Mar 2013 2:26PM GMT
Although you didn't mention her, the informant on William H. Smith's death cert must have been his daughter. Her name on the cert is Mrs. Perry Van Hoover, Chillicothe, Ohio.

Perry Van Hoover and family are in Kinnikinnick, Green Twp., Ross County, OH on the 1940 census:
head Perry 35 bp Tennessee, wife Odessa 29 bp Nebraska, son Perry Jr. 12 bp Ohio, son Gerald 6 bp Ohio, *father-in-law William Smith 71 divorced bp Ohio.

Odessa is shown in the Ohio Death Index as being born 2 Apr 1911, died 1 Apr 2004, father's name SMITH, mother's maiden name HALL. If you want to persue this, contact the Chillicothe library, http://www.crcpl.org/history and request a copy of Odessa's obituary.

PS. Odessa Smith is in the 1920 census in Columbus, Ohio. Father was William H., mother Mattie plus 4 more siblings.

Bill

Posted: 5 Mar 2013 2:47PM GMT
Hi Thanks for the reply.

I do have my Grandfather's sibling' in my tree including Odessa Smith

It is just my actual Grandfather and his children that I am having difficulty locating.

I have no details of my Grandfather "after" leaving the military in 1946. The only record that I found was a death certificate for kitsap Washington in 1991 which I think is my grandfather.
I really would like to try and locate his children though
William Henry II Smith born 20 Dec 1932 in Franklin County, Ohio, USA
Norma Jane Smith Birth 21 Feb 1934 in Franklin County, Ohio, USA
and
Judith Lynn Smith Birth 14 Dec 1945 in Columbus, Franklin, Ohio, United States

I have not been able to find any marriage records for these children or any other members on here with matching people on their tree's.

Thanks

Matt

Posted: 5 Mar 2013 4:07PM GMT

Posted: 5 Mar 2013 4:23PM GMT
Thank you for that, I have sent of a request for information

Posted: 30 Apr 2013 9:30PM GMT
I finally got a response from the Washington library Obituaries.
Thank you so much for your suggestion, they where able to send me a copy of my grandfathers Obituary.

It included some very helpful information, including the married names of his children.

I now know that as the time of my Grandfathers death in "1991" that one of his Daughters
Norma Jane Smith married someone called Sutton and they lived in Junction City, Oregon
The other Daughter Judith Lynn Smith had married someone called Shaffer and they lived in Vancouver.

I have not been able to find the marriage records for either of them though.

I also know from the Obituary that my Grandfather's son "William Henry II Smith" was also living in Silverdale, Kitsap, Washington at the time of his father's death. But I have not been able to find any further records for him either.

I would be so grateful if anyone was able to help me in any way

Posted: 30 Apr 2013 11:14PM GMT
Start at http://search.ancestry.com/search/db.aspx?dbid=3693 and type in the daughters' first names and their birth dates and William H. SMITH's birthdate.

If you find a possible match, Google search for that city's library and request a copy of his/her obit. All you really need is one obit at this time to lead you to another.

Bill

Posted: 1 May 2013 6:30AM GMT
I must be doing something wrong as I can not find anything.

Do I use their maiden names "Smith" to search or their married names.
I do not even know that they are deceased.

Have not been able to find their marriage records.

I only know their married names and where they were living at the time of my grandfathers death in 1991 from his obituary.

I really do not understand what the heck I am doing. I have a full paid up international membership for ancestry.com and I thought it would be a lot easier to find people than what it is :-( lol

Posted: 1 May 2013 10:20AM GMT
Surnames: Smith Sutton Shaffer
If you use the link provided in the previous response it is for the Social Security Administration Death Index. In the search form put in Norma J Sutton for first and last names, and put in year of birth of 1934. The results show a Norma J Sutton born 21 Feb 1934 and died 16 Dec 2009. The last residence was Seattle, King County, Washington. The social security number was issued in California, before 1951. Here is the link to the ancestry Social Security Death Index:
http://search.ancestry.com/search/db.aspx?dbid=3693 .

Judith Lynn Shaffer was born 1945 and living in Vancouver in 1991, so it's possible she is still living today. You may want to narrow your search for her by specifying only Canadian records.

William Henry Smith II born 1932 will be a more difficult search because it is such a common name. If you can track down an obituary for Norma it may give you some leads to finding her siblings, William and Judith.

David in Pennsylvania

Posted: 1 May 2013 11:14AM GMT
Surnames: Smith Sutton
The Seattle Post-Intelligencer at www.seattlepi.com shows a public death notice for Norma J Sutton. It gives her town as Shoreline, Washington. This is 9 miles outside of downtown Seattle, Washington.

David in Pennsylvania
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | Terms and Conditions