Search for content in message boards

Schatz, Fred

Schatz, Fred

Posted: 16 Feb 2013 4:38PM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 17 Feb 2013 2:24PM GMT
Surnames: Schatz, Fredricks
I'm looking for information on Fred Schatz who was in GR in the 1940 census which said that he lived in Wayne, Detroit in 1935.
I cannot find when or where he married Anna (Anne) Emily Fredricks who was born in 1914 in GR, MI. I believe they were married before 1937.
Fred was born approx 1905 in Poland. I have not found when he immigrated or was naturalized.

Re: Schatz, Fred

Posted: 17 Feb 2013 8:19PM GMT
Edited: 18 Feb 2013 3:05PM GMT
Surnames: Schatz, Papke, Vandussen, Wolchger, Virla, Deurla, Balk
I’m not related to any member of this family.

1940 is the last available census at this time.

1940 -
Name: Frederick Schatz
Estimated Birth Year: abt 1905
Race: White
Birthplace: Poland
Marital Status: Married
Relation to Head of House: Son-in-law
Home in 1940: Grand Rapids, Kent, Michigan
Street: Walker Ave NW
House Number: 914
Inferred Residence in 1935: Detroit, Wayne, Michigan
Residence in 1935: Detroit, Wayne, Michigan
Resident on farm in 1935: No
Citizenship: Naturalized
Sheet Number: 10B
Attended School or College: No
Highest Grade Completed: High School, 2nd year
Hours Worked Week Prior to Census: 26
Class of Worker: Wage or salary worker in private work
Weeks Worked in 1939: 0
Income: 0
Income Other Sources: No

Adolph A Papke 74, GER [1866]
Emily F Papke 63, Poland
Frederick Schatz 35, Poland - s/inlaw, repair man [
Anna E Schatz 25, MI
Frederick W Schatz 2, MI
Anna F Schatz 3m, MI

Fred married Anna Papke.

1930 -
Name: Adolph Papke
Birth Year: abt 1866
Birthplace: Germany
Home in 1930: Grand Rapids, Kent, Michigan
Marital Status: Married
Immigration Year: 1890
Relation to Head of House: Head
Spouse's Name: Emily Papke
Father's Birthplace: Germany
Mother's Birthplace: Germany
Age at first marriage: 33
Parents' birthplace: GER/GER

Adolph Papke 64, GER
Emily Papke 53, Poland - Age at first marriage: 22
Parents' birthplace: Poland/Poland
Anna Papke 15, MI

1920 -
Name: Adolph Papke
[Adolph Pappe]
Birth Year: abt 1866
Birthplace: Posin Germany
[Posen]
[Dorin]
Home in 1920: Grand Rapids Ward 1, Kent, Michigan
Immigration Year: 1891
Relation to Head of House: Head
Marital Status: Widowed
[Widow]
Father's Birthplace: Posen
Mother's Birthplace: Posen
Home owned: Rent
Able to read: Yes
Able to Write: Yes

Adolph Papke 54, Possen [GER] - immigrated 1891, pattern maker
Hubert Papke 8, MI - son
Elizabeth Bischoff 22, married dau
Carl Bischoff 29, MI - s/inlaw
William Papke 23, MI [1897]
Rudolph Papke 14, MI [1906]
Henry Vandussen 22, MI - s/son [1898]
Theodore Vandussen 16, MI - s/son [1904]

marriage record -
groom's name: Adolph C. Papke
groom's birth date:
groom's birthplace:
groom's age:
bride's name: Johanna Virla Vandussen
bride's birth date:
bride's birthplace:
bride's age:
marriage date: 26 Dec 1908
marriage place: Grand Rapids, Muskegon, Michigan
groom's father's name: Henry Papke
groom's mother's name: Caroline Wolchger
bride's father's name: August Virla
bride's mother's name: Unknown

death record -
City/village/township Grand Rapids
Last Name Papke
Given Name Johanna
Birth Year Nov. 27, 1866 GER
Age 49
Death Day 26
Death Month Jan
Death Year 1916
Father's Given Name August
Father's Last Name Deurla
mother's name - Wilhelmina Balk, GER

Web: Kent County, Michigan, Marriage Index, 1842-1929
Name: Rudolph Papke
Spouse: Rose Spare
Marriage Date: 1924-1926
Marriage Place: Kent, Michigan, United States

Posted: 17 Feb 2013 8:49PM GMT
Surnames: Papke, Schatz
Thank you, some of the Papke information I have & the new info I'll be adding to my tree.
I've been working harder on the Schatz family as that is part of my direct line.
I have found though that by adding more distant family at times leads you back to closer family.
Pam

Posted: 20 Feb 2013 3:52PM GMT
Edited: 21 Feb 2013 1:29PM GMT
Surnames: Schatz, Fredericks, Shat, Papke
I was looking over some records for Fred Schatz & Anna Fredericks, and I can see why you have a problem with them. Their marriage isn’t in any records, so far, at Ancestry or FHC, but more are always being added, so don't give up. I did find what might possibly be an immigration record for Fred, but it’s a very long shot. There’s an entry for an 11 yr. old Frederick Schatz, accompanied by F.K. Schatz, age 40. F.K. states he’s been in Toronto for 7 years. They came into Canada through Quebec in Sept. of 1919. There are some differences with the info regarding the ‘place of birth’. It’s listed as England for both of them. The info you have on Fred would make him around 14 in 1919, not 11, and he was born in Poland. The column asking for how many children under 14 might possibly explain the age difference. Maybe age 14 was considered an adult and the fare would cost more, or F.K. didn’t really know how old the kid was. I don’t find F.K. or Frederick listed in the England census of 1911, which makes me wonder if F.K. had some reason for saying their birth place was England. It would be interesting to look at the 1921 Census of Canada, to see if these two are listed, and what other info there might be, but that Census won’t be released until this coming June. Canada is worse than we are….they hold their censuses for 92 years! There’s a Fred Shat (no Z) listed in the 1930 US census in NYC. He’s single and a painter. Too hard to tell if he's yours. I did note that the 1940 census info incorrectly lists Anna as daughter to Adolph Papke, when she’s actually a Fredericks from Emily’s first marriage. Probably none of this is of any use to you, but I thought I'd post it anyway. Terry Bora

Posted: 20 Feb 2013 10:07PM GMT
Surnames: Fredricks, Irwin, Schatz
I appreciate the time you put into this. It is helpful to have new eyes take a fresh look at things. I'll have to slowly review what you've written, I'm some of it will be helpful as I've found so little on them.
That's helpful to know about the Canadian census.
Just as a side note - Anna (Anne) Emily Fredricks - who married Fred Schatz & then Thomas Irwin (can't find anything on their marriage either) bred St Bernards in Grand Rapids, MI. One of her dogs was in the guiness book of world records as largest dog & of her puppies were in Beethove II.
She sold dogs to people all over the world. It's amazes me how little I find, on the internet, regarding her & her dogs. Pam Sands

Posted: 5 Jul 2013 11:23PM GMT
Edited: 6 Jul 2013 12:55PM GMT
Surnames: Schatz, Irwin, Fredricks, Papke, Bettinghouse
Hello-I am Anne Jones, maiden name Schatz and the granddaughter of Anne Irwin from her son Fredrick William Schatz. To my knowledge, she was never Anne Fredrick's, but went from Papke as a maiden name to Schatz, then later married Thomas Irwin. She and Tom are both deceased. Her kennels , "Schwarzwald Hof Kennels" are owned and ran by her granddaughter Kimm Bettinghouse in Pierson, Michigan. The website is Schwarldhofkennels.com. Where you can find all sorts of information about the kennels. Yes, some of the dogs from the Schwarzwald stock were in the movie Beethoven, as well as Benedictine V in the Guinness Book of World Records at 310 lbs. late 70 to early 80's.
I chose my brother "William's" (Billy) name for a username because it would not accept other options. If you would like further information you can contact my sister Kimm at Schwarzwaldhofkennels.com or me at jonesey598@aol.com. As I am writing this on a free trial!
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions