Search for content in message boards

SELPH/SELF FAMILY - North Carolina 1810 & 1820

SELPH/SELF FAMILY - North Carolina 1810 & 1820

J. A. Selph, Jr. (View posts)
Posted: 23 Sep 2000 12:00PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: SELPH, SELF, LONG, BLACKWOOD, CRAIG
1810 Orange County, North Carolina census lists:
SELPH, William B. - Males 1 under 10; 1 45 & over - Females 1 under 10; 1 10-16; 1 26-45.
Interestingly he was enumerated with CRAIGS, STRAYHORN, FREELAND, KIRKLANDDD, McCAWLEY, BLACKWOOD, etc. which surnames were involved with marriage to each other, apparently including a SELPH/SELF.

1820 Orange County, North Carolina census lists;
SELF, Willabey - Males 1 10-16; 1 45 & over - Females 1 under 10; 1 10-16; 1 16-26; 1 26-45.

Does anyone have any information on SELPH, William B. or SELF,Willabey in this location and time frame. Is it possible census enumerator in 1810 recorded SELPH, William B. and that census enumerator in 1820 recording the same individual phonically understood William B. as Willabey?
The family information seems to be close enough that their being the same is a possibility?

My need for any assistance is that my great grandfather SELPH, William D.., according to census information was born about 1809 in North Carolina (location unknown) and his parents were born in North Carolina (names, location, or dates unknown). Thus far have been unable to find any definite information on William D. Selph's parents, siblings, etc. He was married to Mary LONG, daughter of William L. LONG and Margaret "Peggy" M. BLACKWOOD. Her ancestsors included LONG, CRAIG, BLACKWOOD, KING,etc. and they in turn married the various surnames enumerated in general area of 1810 census, leading to presumption that William B. SELPH and William D. SELPH might have a connection, although need help iun making or discounting it.

Any assistance or suggestions as to further research will be genuinely appreciated.

J. A.

SELPH/SELF FAMILY - North Carolina 1810 1820

J. A. Selph, Jr. (View posts)
Posted: 24 Sep 2000 12:00PM GMT
Surnames: SELPH, SELF, LONG, BLACKWOOD, CRAIG, MARKHAM
Thank you Richard for your post.
Am aware of much of the information posted and had seen record that Hannah BLACKWOOD married Willoughby Selph/Self
ca 1806 but had no information on any children. Also Margaret "Peggy" M. BLACKWOOD married William L. LONG ca 1806, who were parents of Mary LONG who married William D. SELPH ca 1835. Hannah and Margaret "Peggy" BLACKWOOD were sisters.
Do you have any information on children of Willoughby SELF and Hannah BLACKWOOD?
Notice that you indicate Margaret "Peggy" BLACKWOOD was first married to Joseph KIRKLAND, do you have information as to approximate date and if any children? Also any positive information on children of Margaret "Peggy" BLACKWOOD by William L. LONG or if she might have been married after death of William L. LONG?
Is there any information on William B. SELPH listed in 1810 Orange County, N. C. census as to wife, children, date of marriage, etc.? With the appearance of William B. SELPH in the 1810 census being enumerated with the various surnames that became involved with marriages of that group, plus there has been an idea progressed that William D. SELPH went to Maury County, TN. with members of the CRAIG group to land granted to CRAIG, would like to determine of William B. SELPH might have been father of William D. SELPH?
Am not sure but think I have observed a Willaby SELF in this time period I believe in Wake County, N. C. --could this be the marriage to Mary HOLDER or do you have any information as to date and location of this marriage?

SELPH BLACKWOOD MARKHAM

Richard pickett (View posts)
Posted: 24 Sep 2000 12:00PM GMT
Surnames: SELPH, CRAIG, BLACKWOOD, MARKHAM
I show a Willoughby SELPH married to Hannah BLACKWOOD on 12 MAY 1805 in Orange County, NC.

Family Group Record

Husband: William BLACKWOOD Jr.

Birth: abt 1732 Orange County, NC

Tax List: 1779 Orange County, NC

Census: 1790 Orange County, NC

Will: 23 Nov 1829 Orange County, NC

Death: aft 23 Nov 1829Orange County, NC

Probate: Aug 1830 Orange County, NC

Marriage: 1772 Orange County, NC

Father: William BLACKWOOD Sr. (b 1706)

Mother: Elizabeth "Betsy" CRAIGE (b bef 30 Nov 1716)
============================================================Wife: Margaret KING
------------------------------------------------------------

Birth: 1755 Brunswick County, VA

Death: bef 23 Nov 1829Orange County, NC

Father: John KING Jr. (b 22 Aug 1724)

Mother: Hannah DAVIS (b bef 1730)
============================================================
Children
============================================================
1 F Hannah BLACKWOOD

Birth: 29 Oct 1777 Hillsborough, Orange County, NC

Spouse: Willoughby SELPH (m 12 May 1806)
------------------------------------------------------------
2 F Elizabeth BLACKWOOD

Birth: 29 Oct 1777 Hillsborough, Orange County, NC

Death: NC

Spouse: George ALLEN (m 27 Dec 1794)
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
3 F Mary BLACKWOOD

Birth: 21 Dec 1778 Hillsborough, Orange County, NC

Death: 31 Jan 1835 Maury County, TN

Burial: aft 31 Jan 1835Hunter Cemetery, Mt. Pleasant, Maury County, TN

Spouse: William W. CRAIG (m 15 Nov 1797)
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
4 M Squire John BLACKWOOD

Birth: 2 Aug 1779 Hillsborough, Orange County, NC

Death: 16 Dec 1843 Orange County, NC

Spouse: Ellender CRAIG (m 22 Jul 1800)

Spouse: Mary MCCAULEY (m 13 Apr 1830)
5 F Martha BLACKWOOD

Birth: 10 Aug 1781 Hillsborough, Orange County, NC

Death: 1865 Mt Joy, Maury County, TN

Burial: aft 1865 Hunter Cemetery, Mt. Pleasant, Maury County, TN

Spouse: Johnston CRAIG (m 30 Apr 1798)
6 F Jane "Jennet" BLACKWOOD

Birth: 12 Mar 1783 Hillsborough, Orange County, NC

Death: 28 Mar 1869 Orange County, NC

Spouse: John MCCAULEY (m 12 Apr 1798)
7 F Annie BLACKWOOD

Birth: 2 Feb 1785 Hillsborough, Orange County, NC

Spouse: Jacob POTTS (m 9 Aug 1817)
8 F Margaret "Peggy" BLACKWOOD

Birth: 27 Feb 1787 Orange County, NC

Death: abt 1848 Maury County, TN

Burial: abt 1848 Maury County, TN

Spouse: Joseph KIRKLAND

Spouse: William L. LONG (m 29 Aug 1806)
9 F Isabel BLACKWOOD

Birth: 5 Feb 1789 Hillsborough, Orange County, NC
10 F Sarah BLACKWOOD

Birth: 18 Mar 1791 Hillsborough, Orange County, NC

Spouse: John GATTIS (m 11 Jan 1809)
11 F Nancy Catherine BLACKWOOD

Birth: 23 Nov 1792 Hillsborough, Orange County, NC

Death: 22 May 1868 Orange County, NC

Spouse: James DAVIS (m 18 Sep 1833)

Spouse: Silas B. DAVIS
12 M William BLACKWOOD III

Birth: 27 Sep 1794 Hillsborough, Orange County, NC
13 M James BLACKWOOD

Birth: 27 Nov 1796 Hillsborough, Orange County, NC

Spouse: Susan BROCKWELL (m 1 Jun 1818)
14 F Katurah "Katy" BLACKWOOD

Birth: 7 Jun 1798 Hillsborough, Orange County, NC
15 M Johnston BLACKWOOD

Birth: 7 Sep 1800 Hillsborough, Orange County, NC

Spouse: Sarah B. CRAIG (m 25 Aug 1821)
16 F Frances "Fannie" BLACKWOOD

Birth: 1 Dec 1802 Hillsborough, Orange County, NC

Spouse: Anderson LONG (m 28 Sep 1830)
==========================================================================================
FAMILY NOTES

HUSBAND NOTES: William BLACKWOOD Jr.
Tax List(1): Blackwood, William 2654.12 (2654 pounds 12 shillings)
Census: 1790 US Census St. Thomas' Parish, Hillsborough Disrtict, Orange County, NC

Will(2): State of North Carolina Orange County

In the name of God Amen I William Blackwood of the County afforesaid being of sound and perfect mind and memory and knowing the frailty of human nature and that it is once appointed for all men to die Blessed be God do this Twenty third of November in the year of our Lord one thousand eight hundred and twenty nine make and publish this my last Will and Testament in manner following First I give and bequeath to my Daughter Hannah Selph fifty cents I give my Daughter
Elizabeth Allen fifty cents I gave my Daughter Mary Craig fifty cents I give my Son John Blackwood fifty cents I give my daughter Martha Craig fifty cents I give my Daughter Jane McCauly fifty cents I give Daughter Ann Potts fifty cents
I give my daughter Sarah Gattis fifty cents I give my son William Blackwood fifty cents I give my son James Blackwood fifty cents It is further my will that my lawfull Debts Should be paid It is further my will that my daughter Nancy
Catherine and Fanny shall have all the land that is now in my possesion to be divided equally between them it is further my Will that they shall have one bed and furniture each It is further my will that they shall have one cow and calf each it is further my will that they shall have all the other of my property to be equally dividedamong them each such as is hereafter willed away It is further my will that my grandson Anderson Son of my Daughter Ann Potts shall have one bed and furniture one young cow and I hereby make and ordain my son John Blackwood and my son William Blackwood Executors of this my last will and testament in witness wherof I the said William Blackwood have to this my last
Will and Testament set my hand and seal the day and year above written

William Blackwood

Signed sealed published and delivered by the said William Blackwood the testator
as his Last Will and Testament in the presence of us who were present at the
time of signing and sealing thereof
Wm C Blackwood
Franklin L Blackwood

Orange County August Term 1830 The execution of the foregoing Last Will and Testament of William Blackwood was duly proved in open court by the oaths of Wm C Blackwood and Franklin Blackwood the subscribing witnesses.
Probate(3):
General: Rev. Craig's notes in his sketch of the History of New Hope Church states that Willian settled the "Old Homestead and had Sixteen children." The Later day
Saints Family Historical data confirms the number of children.

The ancestral home of the Blackwoods is near Blackwood Station about 4 miles west of Chapel Hill, NC. It was occupied by Eugene Blackwood in 1962.

SOURCES
1. Orange County, NC. Tax List 1779, Orange County, NC. Transcribed from microfilm C.073.70001 by Elizabeth Moorman
Proofread from the original at the NC State Archives by Gwyneth Duncan. Blackwood, William 2654.12.
2. Orange County, NC Will Book. Book E, page 229-230.
3. Ibid. Book E, page 229-230.
4. Gedcom file from Donna Dixon, 2509 Sunridge Road, Carrollton, TX 75006.

There was a Willby SELPH married to Mary HOLDER.
Family Group Record
==========================================================================================
Husband: Daniel HOLDER

Marriage: 20 Dec 1800 NC
Wife: Elizabeth MARKHAM

Birth: 20 Aug 1784 Orange County, NC

Father: Richard MARKHAM (b abt 1762)

Mother: Anne ROBERTS (b 1767)
Children
1 F Ann HOLDER

Spouse: WILLIS
2 F Milley HOLDER

Spouse: SELPH
3 F Mary HOLDER

Death: Oct 1865

Spouse: Williby SELPH
4 F Elizabeth HOLDER

Spouse: MADISON
5 M Berry J. HOLDER

Birth: 1802

Death: Gibson County, TN

Spouse: Priscilla BLEDSOE

per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions