Search for content in message boards

need date and place of marriage

need date and place of marriage

Posted: 8 Nov 2012 2:47PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Groom
Looking for marriage of Arthur George Groom and Jeanette. I found them in the 1940 census in Portsmouth City, Virginia. Arthur was born August 26, 1914, in Colorado, and the census says that Jeanette was born about 1918 in California...perhaps Los Angeles because her 1935 residence was listed as Los Angeles California. Arthur had listed Frederick Colorado as his 1935 residence. There is a city directory listing for Arthur and Jeanette in 1937 Long Beach California. So...it is just a guess that they were married in California.
Can anyone help me find a place and date for their marriage?

Re: need date and place of marriage

Posted: 8 Nov 2012 9:23PM GMT
Arthur G Groom, 21 & Janet Vedanov, 19 took out a marriage license in Los Angeles County on 8-26-1936. The completed license was returned to the County Recorder and was filed on 9-01-1936 (Book 1379, Page 206.) He was a sailor aboard the USS Louisville and she lived at 35 Ontario Avenue in Long Beach.

There is no record of a Janet Vedanov in the CABI so 1 of 3 things occurred (1) she was not born in California, (2) her birth was not recorded - this was not unknown in 1918 or (3) she had been married before and Vedanov was not her maiden name.
-Larry

Posted: 8 Nov 2012 10:55PM GMT
Surnames: Groom, Woodworth, Robertson, King
Thank you very much! Arthur George Groom was in the Navy. I am going to write to see if I can get a copy of the marriage license and then see about a copy of their divorce. Afterwards I will keep looking for Arthur George Groom's marriage to Muriel Leslie Woodworth Robertson King.
I really appreciate the help!!!!!

Posted: 8 Nov 2012 11:59PM GMT
Edited: 9 Nov 2012 12:15AM GMT
I don't think there was a divorce. Arthur and Janet were living together in Portsmouth City, Virginia during the 1940 census and she died in Erie Co., Pennsylvania just 9 days after the census was taken! See following link.
http://www.erielibrary.org/research-services/obituary-listin...
It would be interesting to research this as she was only 22 years old - perhaps an auto accident? You should send to the Erie County Library for her obit.
-Larry

Posted: 9 Nov 2012 2:20AM GMT
Surnames: Groom, Woodworth
thank you so, so much! I am going to send for an obituary. I had found Arthur's dad (Harold) and mom(Charlotte) and brother(James) in find a grave and there was a Janet N. Groom 1918 -1940 and I mistakenly figured it was James' wife because we were never told of previous marriages for Arthur George Groom or Muriel Groom.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions