Search for content in message boards

Broida in Vilna

Broida in Vilna

Posted: 8 Dec 2005 10:07PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Broida, Korkalinski
I am looking for information on any Broidas from Vilna (Vilnius) Lithuania.

My great-grandfather and great-grandmother, David and Anna Broida, immigrated to the US from Vilna sometime before 1898. They settled first in Ohio and then moved on to Missouri and finaly Illinois. They raised 9 children.

If anyone has any information on other Broidas from that area, I would be most appreciative.

Re: Broida in Vilna

Posted: 23 Feb 2009 4:14AM GMT
Edited: 23 Feb 2009 12:29PM GMT
Surnames: Brody, Broada, Broida
My Great Grandfather Joseph (Yosel) Brody (Broada/Broida) was from Vilna (Vilnius) and came over in 1901 and settled in Youngstown Ohio. His brothers were Itska and Moysha. His father was Leyba. Joseph's Children who came over at that time included: Benjamin, Jacob, Miriam, Abraham, Anna, Laura, and Arthur.

Posted: 16 Mar 2011 5:15PM GMT
Edited: 18 Mar 2011 4:01PM GMT
I am interested in this family- please let me know if you are still reading these posts and we can share info.

Posted: 1 Mar 2012 4:52PM GMT
It is this Broido associated with my search. I found information about it online ancestry. com: Jacob Broida Birth 1857 in Eishyshok, Salcininkai, Lithuania Death 1932 in United States, in 1910 has Residence: St Louis Ward 4, Missouri. His wife's name was Anna and they had nine children.

In 1923, in St Louis arrived grandson Jacob Broida, Nachum Krainovich. I guess that Nachum was the son of one of the daughters of Jacob, who was married to Efim Kreinovich, violinist from Warsaw.

You know anything about this?

Posted: 20 Mar 2012 2:41AM GMT
My Great-grandfather was Joseph Broada (Brody). My records show he was born in Ketovsky, Vilna Gubemia, Lithuania in 1855 near Vilna. He was the son of Liebe (Lebya) (Yehuda Eliyahu) Brauda (son of Moivshe and Freyda)born in 1819 in Vilna. If anyone has relationship to this family, let me know.
M

Posted: 4 Mar 2013 6:14PM GMT
I wonder if you are referring to my cousin, "Nathan" Carnovitz (that is one spelling of the surname and it was changed to Greenspan by a Zionist sponsor before Nathan's immigration to Palestine and then St. Louis, MO in 1923.). He was a son of Sarah Broida who was Jacob's eldest daughter. I am Jacob's great grandson. I knew Nathan quite well as he worked as a partner with my grandfather, Max Broida. It also seems that Broida was actually Karklinsky before it was changed to Broida (after immigration) but I am still researching that strange connection.

Posted: 4 Mar 2013 6:32PM GMT
" It also seems that Broida was actually Karklinsky before it was changed to Broida (after immigration) but I am still researching that strange connection."

I'm familiar with that name change story as well. It's always been pronouced more "Korkalinksy" in our family, but nobody really knows how it was spelled. The story that I was always told was that when my great-grandfather David (Sarah Broida's brother) came over to Ameria, there was a family by the last name of Broida on the same boat and for whatever reason, the Korkalinskys decided to change their name to Broida during immigration. I'm not sure how true that is, a lot of the stories that were passed down by my grandfater (Herman) have turned out to be less than accurate, but it's the prevailing tale.

Posted: 4 Mar 2013 6:51PM GMT
What I learned was that John Zelig (and who knows where Zelig originated), who was the first of our ancestors to immigrate in 1875, was the one who changed the name. Hope to learn more as we investigate the matter using records from Eishishuk and elsewhere. Apparently, however,we are not related to any actual Broida from the area! That sure spins me around!

Posted: 4 Mar 2013 7:46PM GMT
Thank you very much for your reply. I'm not sure that my uncle Nyusha was connected with your family. I do know that he emigrated to America in about 1923. I found a document in 1923 emigration to the Nachum Krainovich. The document stated that Nachum came to his grandfather, whose name was Mr Jacob Broida. Until 1915, my uncle Nyusha lived in Warsaw with his father Yefim, Misha stepbrother and stepmother Sarah. His own mother, to my knowledge, has died, maybe her name was also Sarah. During the war, the family was evacuated to Russia. Nyusha attended secondary school in Moscow. In 1923 he left Russia and came to America. This is all we know about him.

Posted: 4 Mar 2013 8:01PM GMT
That's interesting, that makes sense (or as much sense as changing names to Broida does...Zelig is at least easier to spell!). I've never heard about John Zelig before, though my exploration has pretty much ended at the great-great-grandparent leve.
If you find anything else out about the name change or anything else interesting, I'd love to know.

per page

Find a board about a specific topic