Search for content in message boards

Short's of Early Sussex Co. DE

Short's of Early Sussex Co. DE

Posted: 10 Apr 2006 1:00AM GMT
Classification: Query
I am seeking information on the ancestors and descendants of Uriah Short who was married to Sarah Vinson. They had a family that included a daughter Mary who was born in about 1799. I may be releated to this line so I would like to get in contact with those who have information.

In reading the past postings to this forum I see several entries in 2000 by a lady named Beth Alamo who was familiar with the Edward Short-Shadrach Short-Uriah Short- Mary Short line. Is she still active on this forum?

Thanks for any help you can give me. Bill Olson

Re: Short's of Early Sussex Co. DE

Betty (View posts)
Posted: 10 Apr 2006 2:39PM GMT
Hi Bill

I have a Uriah Short who died abt 1814 married to Sarah Vinson who died abt 1828. Uriah was the son of Shadrack & Sarah Short, grandson of Edward & Elizabeth (Wingate) Short.

Uriah & Sarah did have a daughter, Mary, who married Phillip Short and had 9 children - Elias Taylor, Julia Ann, Obadiah W., James C., Amanda J., Emma L., Stephen R, Hester A., & Philip R. Elias married Emiline Jones & had 4 children. Julia Ann married John F. Elliot and had 3 children. That is all the marriages I have listed. Hope it helps some!

I descend from Edward Short, son of Edward & Elizabeth so this is not my direct line.

Please contact me direct if this sounds like your ancestors and will help what I can. And if we need more help, my cousin has LOTS of info on Shorts!

Betty

Re: Short's of Early Sussex Co. DE

Ed Short (View posts)
Posted: 11 Apr 2006 6:19PM GMT
Hi Bill,

I read your recent inquiry as well as the one regarding Susan H. Short and Henry Clark of Kent County Delaware

I grew up in Kent County but my ancesters were primarily from Sussex County. I live about an hour aware from the Delaware Archives in Dover, While I was there yesterday I looked in the card catologue regarding your Susan and Henry. They have Susan as being married on jan 7, 1835 with info from a bond vol 14 pg 238,

On Henry Clark they have the marriage as Dec 14, 1854 from newspapers...vol 87A #93.5 and vol 90 pg 23.

Since I have not been tracking the Kent County Shorts I do not know whether I have run into Susan before. There are three boxes of materials from an J.O. Adams who did extensive research in the early 1950's.....His collection of materials include surnames of Cooper, Hearn, Knowles, Marine, Misel, Messick, Rawlings, Short, White and Badley.

Regarding the Uriah Short line.....I have run into that name frequently. There is a book in the archives by James Curtis Short written in 1984 and revised in 1993 "Early Short Families in Sussex County Delaware" It is 100+ pages of charts and cross references. It might be a good place to start. I would not rely on it completely as my GG grandfather and mother are listed (names and dates are exact) but if I am to believe the family Bible i have, the line info in the book is not correct. Plus I have other confirming info on them.

I am stuck on Obediah Short born in 1804 (not the 1798 Obediah) The bible lists his parents as Edward and Elenor.....(not Elizabeth).
I have a copy of the marriage bond for Obed and his first wife and marriage info on this second. At some point I will make the break through or disprove the Bible. I have been researching for less than a year sporadically.

If you go on line to the Delaware Archives site you can order copies of items. I have done this at times...It costs me the same to look up items and get copies as if I let them gather and copy, except for the $6 postage....and with the cost of gas....I have a couple probated wills yet to go through.

Hopefully this info is of some help
per page

Find a board about a specific topic