Search for content in message boards

Joseph Allender 1770-1834 Maryland

Joseph Allender 1770-1834 Maryland

Posted: 28 Apr 2008 7:46PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Allender, Biays, Bowerman
Hi,

My father, David Allender Bowerman, recently passed away and in his possessions we came across a family heirloom that is tied to his middle name - Allender. It's a miniature portrait cica 1800 with the initials JA on the reverse and several braided lockets of his hair - see attached photo. Family history tells us this portrait was passed down through the family to my father and that it is a portrait of Joseph Tolley Allender 1770-1834.

Joseph was a well-known physician in Baltimore's Fells Point who married a Mary Biays. Joseph and Mary had six children: Joseph (1800), Elizabeth Ann (1802), Walter Tolley (1807-1886), James Biays (1809), Margareita (1812) and Charles (1815-1875).

My family tie comes from marriage via Joseph's wife Mary Biays who was the daughter of Colonel Joseph Biays. The Biays and Bowerman (my family) families were closely related from several angles, and it appears that the Allenders in Maryland had a close history and relations with the Bowerman's and Biays' as well.

Joseph was the son of William (1739) and Sophia Allender, grandson of Joshua Allender (d: 1749) and great-grandson of William Allender (d:1698).

Joseph's siblings were: Thomas Foley (1764), Mary, Elizabeth, Walter and William.

I am interested in any information regarding Joseph Allender's current descendants who might want to know of the existence of this portrait.

Thank you.

David L. Bowerman

Re: Joseph Allender 1770-1834 Maryland

Posted: 16 May 2008 4:46AM GMT
Surnames: Allender
I have this line for Allender family in my files on-line, and certainly appreciate your generous sharing of the picture. Alice Alderman

Posted: 16 May 2008 12:41PM GMT
Surnames: Vordenberg, Allender
Did any of this line move to Indiana? I'm trying to find the parents of Augusta Allender who lived with the
Kitchel(l) in 1880 at age 7. After 1880 I can't find her again until 1910 in Dayton, OH at age 38.

She may be my grandfather's birth mother. I have a picture which is of his birth mother.

Jeanne Listermann

Posted: 16 May 2008 2:14PM GMT
Jeanne, I would certainly love to find the origins for Augusta, and maybe find she fits on the MD site, or she could be from the Movable Plantation family or even in an elusive line. I do have her death certificate, but I have lost your email address. Can you write to me? I have traced some of the Indiana lines of Allender families. alice alderman

Posted: 16 May 2008 2:59PM GMT
Hi,

I've attached photos of the front anf back of the portrait, which is about the size of my hand. If you'd like higher resolution photos, I can email them directly to you, but I had to compress them here because the site prevented me from downloading them.

David (dlbowerman@yahoo.com)
Attachments:

Posted: 16 May 2008 3:12PM GMT
thank you for sharing David- these are great! my Allender's are from Ohio and we are trying to trace which ones were originally from Maryland!

thank you again

Posted: 16 May 2008 3:13PM GMT
thank you for sharing David- these are great! my Allender's are from Ohio and we are trying to trace which ones were originally from Maryland!

thank you again

Posted: 16 May 2008 3:21PM GMT
You are most welcome. Umm, did someone ring the Allender wake-up bell? :-) I've been exchanging emails with Christy for a few weeks now and have really appreciated getting to know her. I believe we can probably figure out the Md to Ohio connections. I just received a letter from my Iowa Uncle Biays (named after Joseph Allender's wife's family (Mary Biays) - he's really our genealogist and he said he would dig through his files and see what he could come up with. He's a regular treasure trove of information. I'll post what I find on your forum to share with all.

Take care and feel free to contact me whenever.

David
dlbowerman@yahoo.com

Posted: 16 May 2008 6:17PM GMT
Thanks, Alice. It is almamagis@fuse.net

Jeanne

Posted: 19 May 2008 1:41PM GMT
Last night, out of curiosity, I used a magnifying glass to try to read the signature of the portrait. Since Joseph's father-in-law, Joseph Biays, and aunt-in-law (?), Sarah Jackson, both had their portraits done by Rembrandt Peale which are in the Smithsonian, I wondered if Peale may have done this as well. I could only make out "H. Elo???". So I located a collector of miniature portraits on the web from New Zealand and sent him photos of it and asked if he might know the artist. He responded within hours. The artist was Jean Pierre Henri Elouis (1755-1840), from France who emigrated to America for some years around 1790 and where he called himself Henry Elouis. He returned to France in 1807 where he remained for the rest of his life.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic