Search for content in message boards

Sullivan Coan

Sullivan Coan

Posted: 31 Dec 2008 3:15AM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Coan, Musgrove
I am still searching for more information on Sullivan Coan. Here's what I have so far.

He was listed in the 1930 census in Washington Co. South Dakota, Township 40. He and his wife were listed on lines 15 and 16 of that census page.

There is a mistake in the transcription of the page, they have it listed as Clullave Coan and that he is Indian. He is NOT Indian, he is listed as white and the transcription is wrong. He was a white teacher employed by Indian Services on a reservation. His wife, Coy, is listed as a homemaker. That census says he and both his parents were born in Indiana.

I have family stories but no documentation: he and Coy adopted Jeanne Louise Musgrove when she was 4. Jeanne was the daughter of Coy's sister, Mona, who died. The Coans were both teachers, taught mostly on reservations, taught in Alaska for awhile, and ended up in Iowa. They were in Graetenger by the time I was born in 1957. I do remember meeting Sullivan before he died, sometime in the 1960's. My mother, who is Jeanne, says that Sullivan had a brother named Bob or Robert.

Any help would be appreciated.

Re: Sullivan Coan

Posted: 17 Feb 2011 11:08PM GMT
Surnames: Coan Patton
Sullivan Coan was my Uncle. He was the oldest of the family
of eight. My Dad, was 4th. Grandma maiden name Patton. Please contact me for other info.

Posted: 18 Feb 2011 2:48AM GMT
Hi Clara! Sounds like we are cousins, 2nd maybe?

I've been searching for where Sullivan was born and who his parents were. I found it was in Davies Indiana and they lived in Patoka Indiana. It seems like I keep hitting blank walls where this is concerned. I tried looking up Coan in Indiana and there are a lot of them, maybe the same clan? I don't have much on the family except what I put in my first note. I know Sullivan went to college (my daughter found that little bit of information.

I had found Hugh F. Coan and Mary L. Patton and was able to do some tracing on Mary. But my Coan information stops with Hugh. I am not even sure when he died or where he is buried. I also do not have his father or information on his ancestors.

Any help you can be would be very appreciated. What information I have is in my family list: http://trees.ancestry.com/tree/9061951/person/-846956197

The pictures I have were from my mother's collection and the pictures of Alaska were from the internet. Feel free to link in and collect information you need.

Hugs!

Posted: 18 Feb 2011 3:31AM GMT
Surnames: Patton-Coan
I cannot find anything about Grandfather or Grandma Coan either. There were eight Children: 1.Sullivan 2. Sally
3. Mamie 4. Charley 5. Hugh (My Dad) 6 Arnold 7. Charlotte
8. Robert. The brothers and sisters are all gone. I have
contacted 2 of Uncle Arnold's children who live in Petersburg,In. Rich(57) and Tammy(53) Coan. They have an older sister, Betty(74) who lives in Ark. Uncle Sullivan went to College in Evansville-Bosse College-I don;t know if
it still exists. I do remember your Mother. I had 3 sister-Mary,Carol, Me and Bonnie.The are gone too. I was not abl to see your family tree-will try again later...THIS IS EXCITING!!! Ask me whatever you want to know and I will do my best to answer.

Posted: 23 Feb 2011 5:24PM GMT
Surnames: Patton-Coan
Barbara Denney, I have found Uncle arnold and Bob's children. Do you have the name of Hugh, Sr's parents, dates and such?

Posted: 23 Feb 2011 7:25PM GMT
No, I don't. I hit the wall with Hugh Sr. and further back. I would love to have the information.

Thank you!

Posted: 24 Feb 2011 1:27AM GMT
Surnames: Coan Patton
If I find out more I will relay it to you. My e-mail is
Bbclara@sbcglobal.net. I wondered if your mother is still
living?
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions