Search for content in message boards

McGahey/McGaha/Magaha from Loudoun Co, VA

McGahey/McGaha/Magaha from Loudoun Co, VA

Posted: 17 Mar 2012 5:11PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: McGahey McGaha Magaha
I have tried to pull together information on the McGahey/McGaha/Magaha families that originated in Loudoun County, Virginia. Please visit the RootsWeb WorldConnect Project and search for Manasseh McGahey (the assumed progenitor). I have only extended the male lines, and hope that some male descendants will participate in a DNA study to help verify the ancestral connections of the families. Family Tree DNA presently has a McGaughey/McGaha study. Thanks!

Re: McGahey/McGaha/Magaha from Loudoun Co, VA

Posted: 3 May 2012 7:41PM GMT
Do you know if any of your McGahey family moved to Mecklenburg County, NC? I have a Milton McGahey 3-great-grandfather for whom I cannot find parents names.

Sandy Coulter

Posted: 4 May 2012 3:03PM GMT
Surnames: McGahey
I see that the 1850 and 1870 census indicate your Milton was born in NC. I am not familiar with the NC McGahey/McGaha/Magaha families. There were a few Loudoun County, VA, McGahey men who "vanished" in the late 1700s - don't know if they died or moved away. There are an Amos and a William McGahey in the 1800 census in Mecklenburg; have you located their families? Sorry I can't be of help!

Posted: 4 May 2012 6:41PM GMT
I really appreciate your response. I tried looking for Amos and William McGahey in in Mecklenburg, but haven't found enough on them to tell whether or not our Milton is related to them. I've thought that would be a good possibility, but can't make a tie. My sister and I visited the Raleigh State Archives last year and had hoped to find some information about Milton, but didn't. And we spent several days in Charlotte and Mecklenburg Co. trying to locate information to no avail.

Posted: 19 May 2012 12:49AM GMT
Thank you so much for the tip. I will look for Manasseh McGahey. I have been trying to locate a McGahey cousin who will take the DNA test, but there are not that many that I know of still living. My sister has been trying to contact an elderly male McGahey cousin, but he has not yet responded. Hopefully we can find someone.

Sandy
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions