Search for content in message boards

Jacob Van Gilder

Posted: 6 Mar 2009 12:40AM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Van Gilder
I am new to this but found your posting and I am 99% sure we are related.
Please feel free to look at my site and then let me know if you have more information. I have two photos of Jacob & Anna Margaret Kibler grave stones.

Col. Jacob VanGilder of Marion Co. WV....

Thank you for all of the work you have done.

Re: Jacob Van Gilder

Posted: 14 Apr 2009 2:50AM GMT
Surnames: Van Gilder
Rejoined ancestry and would be interested to touch base with other VanGilders...My mother is a VanGilder, descended from Jacob and Anna, family in WVA and Michigan....

:-)Cindy

Posted: 4 Dec 2011 3:21AM GMT
It's been a few years since your post, but I am married to Van Gilder descended from Jacob Wilder Van Gilder. We are trying to find parent names? Do you have anything listed?

Posted: 4 Dec 2011 3:21AM GMT
It's been a few years since your post, but I am married to Van Gilder descended from Jacob Wilder Van Gilder. We are trying to find parent names? Do you have anything listed?

Posted: 6 Dec 2011 6:39PM GMT
I'm not sure if this is the Jacob Van Guilder you're looking for information on....but I am a descendant of Jacob Van Guilder,son of Andrew and Eleanor (Taylor) Van Guilder. Jacob was born in Egremont,Bekshire,Mass.abt. 1741 jacob's father Andrew may have had a brother named Jacob. Andrew was born abt. 1721 in Egremont.He married Maria Koerner/ Karner there.In 1791 Andrew moved his family to Georgia,Vermont and later to Milton,Vermont.Andrew was the son of John Van Guilder aka Toanunck and Maria Koerner/ Karner.John was half Dutch & half Mohican.His Dutch father may have been a fur trader and his Native American mother is believed to have been the daughter of a Mohican sachem (medicine man) and possibly he was a minor chief.Maria ,her brother Andrew and her parents were Palatine immigrants ( which later became part of Germany.Her parents were Nicholas Johann Koerner/ Karner ( spelled either way in records but clearly are the same individuals) and Anna Magdalena.
An interesting story concerning John aka Toanunck.....he was sent to jail in Albany,NY for shooting one of the sherriff's men during a land dispute between a fellow Mohican & the English. John was held in jail for a year and had been sentenced to be hung. However,the Revolutionary War was starting and the English wanted the Mohicans to side with them against the American patriots.....so they released John from prison.Ironically John & his sons joined the patriots not the English.
If this is the Jacob & his family you are seeking let me know and I can give you more information.
Noreen Maloney LaTour
Burlington,Vermont

Posted: 6 Dec 2011 6:39PM GMT
I'm not sure if this is the Jacob Van Guilder you're looking for information on....but I am a descendant of Jacob Van Guilder,son of Andrew and Eleanor (Taylor) Van Guilder. Jacob was born in Egremont,Bekshire,Mass.abt. 1741 jacob's father Andrew may have had a brother named Jacob. Andrew was born abt. 1721 in Egremont.He married Maria Koerner/ Karner there.In 1791 Andrew moved his family to Georgia,Vermont and later to Milton,Vermont.Andrew was the son of John Van Guilder aka Toanunck and Maria Koerner/ Karner.John was half Dutch & half Mohican.His Dutch father may have been a fur trader and his Native American mother is believed to have been the daughter of a Mohican sachem (medicine man) and possibly he was a minor chief.Maria ,her brother Andrew and her parents were Palatine immigrants ( which later became part of Germany.Her parents were Nicholas Johann Koerner/ Karner ( spelled either way in records but clearly are the same individuals) and Anna Magdalena.
An interesting story concerning John aka Toanunck.....he was sent to jail in Albany,NY for shooting one of the sherriff's men during a land dispute between a fellow Mohican & the English. John was held in jail for a year and had been sentenced to be hung. However,the Revolutionary War was starting and the English wanted the Mohicans to side with them against the American patriots.....so they released John from prison.Ironically John & his sons joined the patriots not the English.
If this is the Jacob & his family you are seeking let me know and I can give you more information.
Noreen Maloney LaTour
Burlington,Vermont

Posted: 6 Dec 2011 8:39PM GMT
John Van Guilder's father was a Wappinger chief named Awansous. His mother was a member of the Catskill band of Mohican Indians. His sister married Nimham, a Wappinger chief, which made him uncle to Daniel Nimham, the last Wappinger sachem and Patriot martyr killed during the American Revolution.
I have never found anything regarding a trial and sentence for hanging for John Van Gilder. The land dispute was not between a Mohican and the English. It was between Livingston's tenants and the Sheriff, who happened to be Livingston's brother-in-law. As a matter of fact, I suspect the charges were fabricated so that Livingston could get a hold of John's land rights for most of Putnam County. I wonder if white people are so eager to believe he was a murderer because he was Indian.
This was during the Seven Years' War, not the American Revolution. Sir William Johnson was trying to stop the Indians on the western frontier from attacking the European settlements. Nicholas Van Gilder went to that location to see if he could get help from the tribes there to get his father out of jail. This is documented in the Papers of Sir William Johnson.

Posted: 10 Oct 2013 12:05AM GMT
Documentation has been found in the John Taber Kempe Papers that proves John Van Gilder's father was a Wappinger chief named Awansous. His mother was Mohican. He belonged to the Catskill band of Mohicans. Therefore he had absolutely no European ancestry and he grew up among the Mohicans. His nephew was the last Wappinger chief, Daniel Nimham. I believe that Van Gilder was captured without cause by the Sheriff, the patroon's brother-in-law, in order to make him a scapegoat. The only witnesses who testified to violence on the Van Gilders' part were Livingston employees who were known to be immoral thugs. Van Gilder also possessed the land rights to most of Putnam County at the time.

John Van Gilder married Anna Maria Koerner, a German woman, in the Reformed Church of Kingston in 1719. The banns were recorded in the church records.

We have NOT found any documentation that Van Gilder was tried or sentenced to be hanged (the correct legal term). Van Gilder's son Nicholas actually threatened to start the only Mohican war. He went out to where Sir William Johnson was meeting with the Shawnees and Delawares and other Native people at Oquaga, trying to get them to stop attacking the frontier and even take the part of the English during the American Revolution. There was the potential of major Native attacks to the colonies if Van Gilder were not released.

Neither have we found further documentation on John's mother.

I would like to refer people to this peer-reviewed paper published by the New York State Museum and the New York State Department of Education in a museum bulletin: Mohican Seminar 3: The Journey-An Algonquian Peoples Seminar, the paper The Impact of John Van Gelder: Mohican, Husbandman and Historical Figure by Debra Winchell

Posted: 13 Nov 2013 6:24PM GMT
Surnames: Van Gilder, Vangilder, VanGilder, Gilder, Van Gelder, Van Guilder
Our West Virginia Jacob was definitely no Dutch immigrant. Y-DNA testing by different male Van Gilders from different sides of the family have come back with a Hablogroup type that is strictly Native American which means that Jacob was Native on his father's father's side.

I have also never seen anything that indicates that Wilder was part of his name.

There is a good chance that our Jacob may be connected to the Mohican Van Guilders as they are descended from Toanunck who became known as Jan Van Gelder / John Van Gilder and is the right age to be our Jacob's grandfather.

We need to try to get other Van Gilder families to join with us in a DNA project to find out our Jacob's ancestry.

I descend from the Cape Girardeau, Missouri Van Gilders who descend from Jacob's long lost son John who went west. He was in WV in 1806. He showed up here in 1808 with Frederick Gibler who was from Morgantown, WV. I think Frederick may be the brother to Jacob's mother Anna Margaret Gibler.

Contact me at ddblattner@capecounty.us for more information.

Sincerely,
Drew Blattner
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions