Search for content in message boards

Splitting and Merging

Splitting and Merging

Posted: 8 May 2013 2:46PM GMT
Classification: Query
I'm new to RootsMagic and before I get too far on data entry I wanted to ask about splitting branches and merging branches into one tree.

I have 2 GEDCOMs of extensive research, i.e. properly sourced, on two of my maternal grandmother's lines done by a late cousin. Is it possible to merge these into one tree? I don't want to have to add all the data for 5000+ people if there is an easier way to do this.

From the reading I've been doing it seems to be easier to put all my branches in one tree and split them off when I need to, for example, printing to share with family. Would you recommend that I put all the branches in one tree? Am I able to split and save electronically as well as print out on paper?

Thanks in advance.

Re: Splitting and Merging

Posted: 13 May 2013 9:35PM GMT
I'm not sure exactly what you're asking, but I think I get the majority of it.

I have found that yes, it is best to have one tree with all of your information in it. I used to have two trees, one for my mother and one for my father. I joined them together and have been happy that I did.

It is very easy to import GEDCOMs into a file. I would start with a new file and ask Roots Magic to find one of the GEDCOMs, then import the second one. Doing this will not delete or destroy your original files.

Then you can find the duplicate people and merge them. I would make a backup of your new file before merging any people.

It is also easy to split off branches to give to other people or print reports. Splitting off a branch is under the export file option.

Posted: 14 May 2013 12:57PM GMT
Thank you. That did answer my questions. Sometimes I think I'm being clear when, obviously, I am not.

I'll start by merging the two GEDCOMs from my mom's side and then add information from my dad's side into the same file. I'll then split anything I need to when necessary.

Thanks again.

Posted: 14 Apr 2014 1:14PM GMT
Is it always best to use only one RM file? I am also new to RootsMagic, having moved 2 files over from TMG: one for my own family, and a second for different trees for some friends and others. Should I merge these? While I'm working on cleaning up data, and major source decisions (e.g. for obits, each one as a source or the newspaper?), I do want to work so that my results can be published eventually.
If I customize a source, will that change appear in all RM files? Or would the change have to be make in each file?
TIA!

Posted: 4 May 2014 6:51PM GMT
I have several tiles in my Rootsmagic software. My mother's line, my father's line, and my husband's. The reason I have them split off is that my relatives on my mother's side don't want to see my German ancestors since they aren't related to them. I did merge everything into one file when I realized my husband and I have mutual ancestors, so I could see how we were related -- 22nd cousins. As far as Ancestry is concerned, I do have everything in one file. However, Ancestry is for public viewing while my Rootsmagic files are for personal use.

As far as issues about Rootsmagic -- you can go to the Rootsmagic website and join forums there as well and get more info
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions