Search for content in message boards

William Lyon DAR lookup

William Lyon DAR lookup

Posted: 18 Nov 2007 12:49AM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Lyon
Looking for information to prove that William Lyon b. about 1755 in England and d. 11-20-1782, is the father of my ggg-grandfather, William Lyon b. 1776 in Virginia, and married Susannah Gray in Hardin Co., Ky, in 1812. He supposedly died at Guilford Court House, NC, or he may have returned home to Botetourt Co., Virginia, before he died, during the Revolutionary War. His wife was Mary Lewis(?) I can prove my ancestors up to this William Lyon. I believe someone else is a DAR member through this William Lyon. William and Mary's children were William, John, Peter, Paul, Geneva Peggy, and Ephraim.

Re: William Lyon DAR lookup

Posted: 20 Nov 2007 3:17AM GMT
Surnames: Lyon
Hello. I was unable to locate your William Lyon(s) in the DAR Patriot Index. This does not mean they did not serve but that no one has proved their ancestry through either one. The National Archives (nara.gov) may have information for you. If you have further information on the possible DAR member who has proven their ancestry through William Lyon, please send that information to us with a new request. I was unable to link wither William or their spouses to a DAR member. I did however find some Peters, Johns & and an Ephraim, but would need further information on them to do research. Good luck with your search. Judy Engelhart

This is a free lookup service provided by DAR Volunteers at the DAR message board.

Posted: 20 Nov 2007 12:30PM GMT
Thanks for trying to help me. John Lyon was b. about 1778 and married Betsey Dempsey. Paul was b. about 1779 and married Sarah "Sally" Newton. Ephraim was b. about 1783 and married Mary "Polly" Snider. I don't have who Peter was married to. I believe someone has proved ancetry to William Lyon through Ephraim.

Posted: 1 Dec 2007 4:19AM GMT
Surnames: LYON
Hello again. After reading your second email, I was able to come up with the following from the DAR patriot information:

LYON, WILLIAM
Service:
VIRGINIA Rank: PRIVATE
Birth:
(CIRCA) 1755
Death:
20 Nov 1782 IN THE WAR NORTH CAROLINA
Service Description:
1) 2ND,3RD,7TH,5TH & 11TH REGTS
1) SERV.SOURCE: VA WIDOW'S PENSION ANNALS OF SW VA VOL 1 P 456 5-98

Residence
ROCKBRIDGE CO - VIRGINIA
Spouse
MARY X

If you would like a copy of the application with this information, please include the above information and a
check for $10 made payable to the Treasurer General, NSDAR and mail to:
Library Copy Services, DAR
1776 D Street NW
Washington, DC 20006-5303.
It will take about 6-8 for the copy to arrive.

I could see that William Lyons (1755-1783) m. Mary unk is the father to Ephraim (1783-1832) m. to Mary Snider and their son is Ephraim (1818-1882) m. Barshaba Phillips
If this is your family the papers could help you as they often, but not always, have references to sources for their proofs. Also, if you are interested in joining DAR, this information will help you prove your ancestry. I can refer you to a local Chapter to help you with your search. Please contact me via my personal email: ronengel@sweetwaterhsa.com

I am not certain if this will help verify the relationship of your Williams, but the application may provide you with more clues on where to search.

Good luck and Happy Holidays! Judy

This is a free lookup service provided by DAR Volunteers at the DAR message board.

Posted: 3 Dec 2007 3:06PM GMT
I think I already have a copy of the application that you found and there wasn't anything on it to help me connect my William. There was one or two names listed that filed applications and I did reach one of them and she didn't remember where she found her information and didn't offer to find out. The other person I couldn't find. I did attend a DAR meeting but couldn't join since I can't find my proof to link me to William Lyon. I will keep trying. Thanks for your help.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions