Search for content in message boards

Parkhurst at Black Brook

Parkhurst at Black Brook

Cary Christopher (View posts)
Posted: 23 Jun 2000 12:00PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Parkhurst, Stevens
Have info on family of Lyman Parkhurst and Almira/Elmira Stevens of Black Brook, Clinton County, NY. Married about 1840, several children born at Black Brook. Parents Daniel and Hepsiba Parkhurst probably buried at Black Brook. Both families appear in 1840 census, but only Hepsiba/Hepzebah living per 1850 census. Family moved to Wood County, WI in 1856/57 period. Around 1880 moved to Beadle County, SD. Trying to prove maiden name of Almira Stevens, possibly daughter of Asher Stevens. If you have info, or need info, please contact.

Just remembered something...

Posted: 19 Jul 2000 12:00PM GMT
Surnames: WATSON, PARKHURST
I had just sent off the prior message when I remembered something buried deep in my brain. About thirty years ago, when I first located the Parkhurst family at Black Brook in the 1850 census, there was a schoolteacher who I think was named ALONZO WATSON who was living in the home of Lyman and Almira Parkhurst! I want to emphasize that I think his name was WATSON.

I've looked high and low here at our place and can't seem to put my hands on the old file (and it is probably my oldest file, created in 1967 or 1968). But if you can put your hands on the 1850 census for Clinton County, you'll find this gentleman and be able to confirm who this person was.

Do you have an Alonzo Watson in your genealogy?

DeLance

Surnames: PARKHURST, DELANCE
Yes, this is the mother of Lyman Parkhurst (1801-1879). She is listed in the 1850 census with Lyman's family and probably died before they left Black Brook in 1854-56. I'm hoping she's buried in the Black Brook Cemetery with her husband, Daniel Parkhurst, who was listed in the 1840 census but not 1850.

Thanks again for helping!

Hepzebah Delance

Edited: 11 Jul 2001 1:04PM GMT
Surnames: Delance, Parkhurst
I just took a fling at the LDS site and found a Hepzedah Delance born September 13, 1771, at Surry, Cheshire County, NH; daughter of Delevan Delance and Hepzebah Marvin, who married Daniel Parkhurst on February 27, 1794 at Surry, Cheshire County, NH.

I am guessing this is your Hepzebah?

Wanted to look around a bit more but got bounced. Did see a Whitney ancestry to add to the mix.

Parkhurst in Black Brook

Surnames: PARKHURST, STEVENS, BIGELOW
Hi! I appreciate your message. You must live in the area if you copied tombstones at the cemetery, right? I live in San Diego and the only way I know I can get the information from the Protestant Cemetery in Black Brook is to write ht State Univ. of NY at Plattsburg and pay $1.00 an entry. Unfortunately, I don't have the funds at this time due to my disability from a back injury. It will be several more months before I can go back to investing money in genealogy.

In the meantime, if you have a list of PARKHURST, STEVENS or BIGELOWs buried in Black Brook, I would be very appreciative of the information. Peter Parkhurst and I have a disagreement over the maiden name of Almira/Elmira Parkurst (1814-1892). Her son, Irad Bigelow/Bigilo Parkhurst died in 1936 in South Dakota. His death certificate listed her maiden name as STEVENS. The info was provided by Irad B. Parkhurst's eldest children, Lee and Lyman D. Parkhurst. They were in their teens when their grandmother Almira died in Wisconsin and would certainly have been in position to know her maiden name. Almost all the other info on the death certificate is correct. Well, Peter thinks her maiden name was BIGELOW, primarily due to Irad's middle name. We're hoping that by reviewing the names in the cemetery, we'll find additional info that will piece it all together.

The 1840 Black Brook census has the families of Asher Stevens, Daniel Parkhurst, plus at least one Bigelow family. If you can help us figure this out, we'd appreciate it.

Protestant Cemetery, Black Brook, NY

Surnames: Parkhurst, Watson
I obtained my Black Brook Cemetery information the really old fashioned way. I have walked that cemetery back to front and front to back and side to side, jotting down names and making connections - and swatting black flies by the thousands, because I never remember to take any bug repellent with me when I go to the cemetery.

My special areas of interest were Seymour, Bushey, Watson, Tender, and Hanmer.

Charlotte (???) Watson and her two babies are buried in the very front (left) of the cemetery with many other of the Watson family members.

John and Harriet Hanmer Watson and some of their children are buried in the very back (dead center) of the cemetery.

Elizabeth Watson, their daughter, married Joseph Bushey, and they are buried there - if memory serves me correctly middle right part of cemetery.

Anna Bushey, their daughter, married first George Tender, and second, my grandfather, Philip Seymour, and they are buried to the right front of the cemetery along with two infant daughters.

There is also a listing (not complete) of burials in the Protestant Cemetery at Black Brook on file in the Town Clerk's Office, Town of Black Brook, AuSable Forks, New York, 12912.

Be happy to look in my index and see if I have any of your folks there.

When I was a young girl (many, many years ago) my parents, aunts and uncles used to take care of that cemetery and as children my siblings and I spent hours playing among the headstones while adults mowed and clipped and maintained.

There was one huge flat headstone (probably was upright at some point in time) and we were told stories about the old lady who came out every night after dark and sat there in her rocking chair and rocked. To this day I still expect to see her rocking there.

Sure would like to be able to give Charlotte (???) Watson a maiden name and will keep working at it until some day it happens.

Parkhurst - Watson connection

Surnames: Parkhurst, Stevens, Bigelow
Relative Peter Parkhurst sent me an extensive list of Parkhurst's back several generations. Reviewing the list, I don't find a Charlotte Parkhurst but that doesn't mean anything really. John Parkhurst could be any one of several John Parkhurst's we're familiar with. Peter's research is very thorough, but has not been able to spent an unlimited amount of time on the family of Lyman Parkhurst (1801-1879) and Almira Stevens or Bigelow (1814-1892). This family was in Black Brook, Clinton County, during the period 1830s-1857. In 1857, they sold the land to another Lyman Parkhurst and moved to Wood County, Wisconsin. They left Wood County in 1879-80 and settled in Huron, Beadle County, South Dakota. Lyman Parkhurst was the son of Daniel Parkhurst (died at Black Brook between 1840-1850) and Hepzebah DeLance Parkhurst (died 1850-1857). I think both of them may be buried in Black Brook. Can I ask you: did you get the burial information for the Watson's from SUNY Plattsburg? Or was there another source you used? If it is a microfilm, I would like to order it. Please send me an e-mail at caryanddanielle@juno.com.

Parkhurst at Black Brook

Surnames: Parkhurst, Watson
Do you have any records of a Charlotte (possibly) Parkhurst who married a John Watson?

Charlotte Watson (b. About 1835 - February 26, 1858) is buried in the Protestant Cemetery in Black Brook, New York with her two infant children, George Watson (July 1856 - June 1, 1857) and Charlotte Watson (February 26, 1858 - March 3, 1859). Charlotte Watson's maiden name is currently not known.

She was married to my ancestor, John Watson (b. in Lastingham Parish in the North Riding of Yorkshire, England about July 23, 1823 - died March 19, 1905). John Watson is buried in the Protestant Cemetery, Black Brook, New York, with his second wife, Harriet Hanmer Watson, and several children by his second marriage.

We think Charlotte's last name may have been Parkhurst.

We would like to give this lady a proper place in family history but have been unsuccessful to date.

When John Watson applied for Naturalization (October 25, 1872), John Parkhurst of the Town of Dannemora, Clinton County, New York, signed as his character witness.

In other instances of naturalization in our family, it was a relative of the spouse who signed as a character witness and that is the only reason we are following up on the possible Parkhurst connection.

DeLance - Mayflower Connection

Posted: 20 Jul 2000 12:00PM GMT
Surnames: DeLance, Marvin
It would appear that your Hepzibah Marvin (probably buried in Black Brook, New York) is a descendant of John Alden.

The LDS site has a listing for "Delaware DeLance" and Hepzibah Marvin which has the lineage back to John and Priscilla.

Perhaps you have already explored that?

Parkhurst/Stevens/Bigelow

Posted: 20 Jul 2000 12:00PM GMT
Surnames: Parkhurst, Stevens, Bigelow
Yes, I agree with you on the LDS postings. I like to check them out on-line. Always consider them as a sort of a "road map" - have found bad information, but, also, lots of good information.

I never take the postings at face value and if it is my own line, research it through vital records, town histories, etc.

I had some of the DeLance family in my index through lineage books of Sons and Daughters of Pilgrims, DAR lineage books, and bits and pieces carried down from Mayflower Quarterlies.

Thanks for the clarification on places of death.

I have several notebooks of names from the Protestant Cemetery at Black Brook and lots of photos - some photos of gravestones which are no longer extant and are not carried in the Town notebooks - all have not been entered into my family tree program as there was no known family connection. I will take a look in the next few days and see what I can come up with for you.

per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions