Search for content in message boards

Zurowski or Zurowsky murder?

Zurowski or Zurowsky murder?

Posted: 16 Jul 2013 1:54AM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 16 Jul 2013 12:15PM GMT
Surnames: Zurowski
Hello,

My great-granduncle, Adam Zurowski, was murdered (shot) in the United States. I'm not sure exactly where, but on FamilySearch.org I found a death record for an Adam Zurowski in Detroit, Wayne County, Michigan. It said the death occurred on June 9, 1932, which is the right timeframe. I would like to find more information, to find out if this is indeed my relative.

I am in Canada, and not familiar at all with the Detroit area. I would welcome suggestions about how to find a newspaper article, obituary, naturalization documents--anything. Thanks!

Re: Zurowski or Zurowsky murder?

Posted: 16 Jul 2013 11:28PM GMT
You can get a death record from the City of Detroit.

http://www.detroitmi.gov/LinkClick.aspx?fileticket=-I8HHiKG6...

The Detroit Public Library has the three Detroit newspapers and will do a look-up and make a copy for a fee. They charge the fee even if they don't find anything.

http://www.detroit.lib.mi.us/specialservice/obituary-search

You might want to try the Detroit Society for Genealogical Research (DSGR)to see if they might help.

http://www.dsgr.org/

Click on "Contact" and there is a researcher listed. I would try the DSGR first.

The Burton Historical Collection of the main Detroit Public Library has a list of researchers.

http://www.detroit.lib.mi.us/featuredcollection/burton-histo...

Posted: 17 Jul 2013 2:47AM GMT
Thanks for the links!

Ugh, I don't really want to spend money for nothing. I'll try that one you suggested at the end first.

Posted: 17 Jul 2013 2:57AM GMT
Edited: 17 Jul 2013 11:44AM GMT
Surnames: Zurowsky
He is buried at Woodmere Cemetery in Detroit. If you go to my website, www.woodmerecemeteryresearch.com, you will find him. His surname is spelled Zurowsky. His address, or the place where he died, was 4378 51st Street. He was 38 years old. He died from traumatic internal hemorrhage. The records also show that the City of Detroit paid for his burial. He is buried in a singles grave section of the cemetery--in other words, this is not a family plot.

Posted: 17 Jul 2013 3:31AM GMT
Edited: 17 Jul 2013 3:35AM GMT
Oh wow, this is super-helpful, thank you! "Traumatic internal hemorrhage"...that sounds like it could be a result of being shot, right?

Aaaah! I still want to find a newspaper article. I'm not positive this is my great-granduncle, but it seems promising.

PS--In regard to the spelling of the name, my grandma said they spelled it however they felt like it back then.

Posted: 17 Jul 2013 7:06PM GMT
If you can wait until next week, I am going to the library and will look this up for you. You can correspond with me directly at gdh148@yahoo.com.

Posted: 17 Jul 2013 7:29PM GMT
Oooh, absolutely I can wait a week! Thank you so much!

Posted: 17 Jul 2013 7:31PM GMT
My pleasure.

Posted: 20 Jul 2013 4:38AM GMT
Edited: 20 Jul 2013 1:11PM GMT
Surnames: Zurowski, Zurowsky
Okay, now I'm far more sure that this guy is my relative. I broke down and got a subscription to newspaperarchives.com, and I found a little blurb in one saying that my great-grandfather, Harry Zurowski, got a telegram about his brother's sudden demise. This was around June 14, 1932, and it said the brother was in Detroit!

In spite of my subscription, though, I can't find any articles whatsoever about Adam Zurowski/Zurowsky. You'd think there'd be *something* if he was murdered, right? I want to know why, and who, and if it was a gunshot, etc. Newspaperarchives.com doesn't seem to have any Detroit newspapers at all, which I find odd.

Posted: 20 Jul 2013 4:55AM GMT
More than likely there will be an article about it in one of the Detroit papers. I should be going to the library Monday or Tuesday and I will let you know what I find.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | Terms and Conditions