Search for content in message boards

THE ARDNABIE BRANCH OF CLAN DONALD by Duncan Darby MacDonald

THE ARDNABIE BRANCH OF CLAN DONALD by Duncan Darby MacDonald

Posted: 26 Feb 2012 9:21PM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 27 Feb 2012 1:43PM GMT
Surnames: DONALD, MACDONALD, MACDONELL
I was wondering if anyone knows where I could find the volumes of CLAN DONALD by Duncan Darby MacDonald. He is a distant relative of mine and I really want to purchase his books.

Thanks

Re: THE ARDNABIE BRANCH OF CLAN DONALD by Duncan Darby MacDonald

Posted: 28 Feb 2012 1:40PM GMT
Edited: 3 Mar 2012 6:33PM GMT
Doing a web search for "Duncan Darby MacDonald" brings up some sources for his books.

Posted: 28 Feb 2012 2:03PM GMT
I have done some web searches, but I can't seem to find aplace to actually purchase the books...seems that there were very few actually printed.

Posted: 3 Mar 2012 6:06PM GMT
Surnames: macdonald
I looked also and found none for sale. However below is information on libraries that have it. I don't suppose either one is close by?

The Ardnabie branch of Clan Donald
Author: Darby MacDonald
Publisher: [Brockville, Ont. : MacDonald Research Centre], ©2001.
Edition/Format: Book : English
Library Held formats Distance
1. Allen County Public Library
FT WAYNE, IN 46802 United States

2. Library and Archives Canada
OTTAWA, ON K1A 0N4 Canada

Généalogies
Named Person: McDonald family.; John Dhu MacDonell; McDonald (Famille); John Dhu MacDonell
Document Type: Book
ISBN: 1894033175 9781894033176
OCLC Number: 46952043
Notes: Cover title.
"The descendants of Captain John Dhu Macdonell VI of Ardnabie".
Includes index.
Description: 66 p. : ill., geneal. table, ports. ; 28 cm.

Posted: 3 Mar 2012 6:15PM GMT
It seems like he had two books. ABE books has a copy of a book by him called Genealogy of Clan Donald that is 461 pages rather than the 66 of the other one. There's also an article from 2007 on the Global Genealogy site that says:

Duncan MacDonald, the founder of MacDonald Research Centre in Brockville, Ontario, spent a lifetime transcribing and publishing the church records and family histories of the settlers and inhabitants of Stormont, Dundas and Glengarry Counties in Ontario, Canada. There is some overflow into neighboring counties and adjacent areas of Quebec and USA. Mr. MacDonald's considerable efforts effort resulted in eighty nine published books.

At the beginning of this month, Global Genealogy's publishing arm Global Heritage Press Inc., completed an agreement with Mr. MacDonald's heirs, to acquire all publishing rights. We also assumed a considerable inventory of unsold new books that remain.

Posted: 6 Mar 2012 5:41PM GMT
Actually Library and Archives is in Ottawa and that is close by. I was actually there 2 weeks ago but never thought to look! Thank you for the information, I really appreciate it

Posted: 12 Nov 2013 1:32PM GMT
Hi Emily.

I believe I am also a descendant of the Ardnabie line of McDonell/McDonald/MacDonald. My sister co-authored a book with Duncan Darby on our line in 1991. I would be happy to share what information I have.

Brian MacDonald

Posted: 28 Dec 2013 11:17AM GMT
Brian,

I also believe that I am descended from the Ardnabie line of MacDonell/McDonald, straight down the paternal line, i.e. father to grandfather to great grandfather, etc.

I would be interested in any information that you may have on the Ardnabie branch in Canada. I have not yet been able to find a copy of the book by Duncan Darby MacDonald.

I would also be interested in finding someone who believes that they are descended down the paternal line who may have been tested through FamilyTreeDNA so that we might compare our results.

kind regards,

Jim McDonald

Posted: 27 Jun 2014 9:05PM GMT
Hi . J. Young from Cornwal Ontario here . l also have the Ardnabie McDonell line in my tree . I agree that the Global Book site is the best [maybe the only ] place to purchase Duncan Darby McDonald's books . Captain John Dhu McDonell VI Ardnabie and his brother Ranald McDonell [who was said to be a brother in law of Allen Collachie McDonell] and their children and their grand children and other extended family were all on the Ship Pearl 1773 they were mostly tenants on Sir William [later his son Sir John] Johnson's Kingsborough Patent Rent Roll with Rent Due Date of Sept. 25 1780 [you can Google it] . Mary Ardnabie McDonell [their sister] was married to William Fraser , and mother to Simon Fraser Sr. who died in 1779 as prisoner of the Americans . His wife Isabel Duldreggan Grant Fraser brought their children [including Simon Fraser Jr. the Explorer] to Canada and settled at St Andrews West Ont [near Cornwall] .
If you are interested you can Google the following "Descendants of John Dhu Macdonell" and it should bring you to a rudimentary PDF file on my Ancestor and a partial listing of his descendants . Depending on how far along you have progressed in your search , it is a very useful touch stone .
I think my cousin Francis Ross McDonald [noted family historian and author of his own Ardnabie book titled "Legacy of Tradition"] contributed to that online PDF file on John Dhu Macdonell .
The Glengarry Board Rootsweb has many postings on this family , and maybe a few on the Stormont Board as well .
I think Francis Ross McDonald book "Legacy of Tradition" can be accessed at the Cornwall Public Library , Cornwall Ont . They have a teriffic amount of original , one of a kind books and large binders of genealogy resources located in a seperate , special , area , called the "Cornwall Room" . Duncan Darby McDonald books are there , as well , many other genealogies of other UEL , and KRRNY families [many inter-related to these Ardnabie McDonell] .
If you are planing a Genealogy holiday to this area , any time , you should call ahead for hours of access to this library . Two other must sees in the area are located at Williamstown Glengarry Ont where Sir John Johnson's original house is now a museum , and another nearby building houses the Nor Westers Museum and its collection of Fur Trade Memorabilia , and a KRRNY display . Summer hours apply .
Hope this helps . J.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions