Search for content in message boards

Williams of Grainger Co., TN

Williams of Grainger Co., TN

Posted: 21 Sep 2004 8:21PM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 27 Jan 2005 9:12PM GMT
Surnames: Williams
I am researching the Williams family of William Williams b. 1816, married Catherine ---, I found son James T (Ted) and family in the 1880 Census. Living in his home is who I believe to be my great grandmother, Elizabeth and her son, my grandfather, James Wiley Williams, and his sister, Mary E.
All I have is a picture of James Wiley and his mother taken in TN. The photo is a tin-type and has spent many years folded.
I believe Elizabeth Williams to have been born to Wm Williams and his 1st wife, Catherine abt 1840. Please contact me if you can help authenticate my beliefs! Thank you!

Re: Williams of Grainger Co., TN

Donna Allen (View posts)
Posted: 18 Dec 2005 5:12AM GMT
Yes Elizabeth is a daughter. She is my GG Grandmother by her son John Joseph Williams. She had her children, or at least 2 of them out of wedlock by Marion Welch. In 1870 census, she is living in the household of Marion Welch with her 2 children in Anderson Co. Tn census. In the 1880 Grainger Co census she is living in the household of her brother James Tad Williams.William Williams is her Father and the Mother is Catherine Wolfenbarger, daughter of Joseph Wofenbarger and his wife Nancy Hanson. William Williams married Susan Fox second. Elizabeth also had a son named James World and a daughter named Mary E.. My Grandmother Lillie Emily Williams Moncy had told me all this when I started doing genealogy 32 years ago, she only died in 1993. I had worked from what she had told me and now I have quite a lot of proof. i have never seen a picture of her or know what happened to her. I would love to correspond with you and would love to have a copy of your picture. I can send you my genealogy and a copy of John Joseph Williams picture. Our Williams and alive and well in Grainger County in the TATER VALLEY.

Cooky1025@Charter.Net

Posted: 18 Dec 2005 4:28PM GMT
Edited: 14 Mar 2006 2:32AM GMT
Surnames: Williams
Thank you for your reply! I have since found out that my grandfather, James Wiley Williams, was the son of William Preston Williams and Manerva C. Gower of Lawrence County, TN. His name was given in the 1880 census as Wiley and he was mistakenly listed as a grandson. No wonder it took me over ten years to find him! Thank you again!

Posted: 10 Jun 2008 3:45PM GMT
Hi Donna,

Interested in your Grainger Cnty Williams Research.

E-mail welcome...

Thanks,
--Sissy

per page

Find a board about a specific topic