Search for content in message boards

Henry CLAY and Mitchel CLAY -- of VA

Henry CLAY and Mitchel CLAY -- of VA

Pat (View posts)
Posted: 7 Dec 1999 6:11PM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 2 Oct 2008 4:36PM GMT
Both Henry Clay (American Statesman) and Mitchel Clay were decendents of Charles Clay who lived in Hanover Co. VA in 1600's. Mitchel Clay married Pheobe Belcher in 1760, received a land grant in western Virginia and became the first settlers in what is now known as Mercer Co. West Virginia. A commemorative statute stands in front of the county court house. After three of his children were killed by Shawnee Indians he settled in Perisburg, VA. He died in 1811. Surviving children were: David, Mitchel Jr., Charles, William, Henry, Patience, Obedience, Rebecca, Sarah, Naomi, and Mary. Mitchell Jr., Charles and William served in the 2nd Battalion, 86th regiment, Virginia militia during the War of 1812. There are many, many decendents of this family - hundreds turned out for dedication of the memorial statue.

Re: Mitchel CLAY

Debbie LeRoy (View posts)
Posted: 26 Dec 1999 7:55PM GMT
Edited: 2 Oct 2008 4:37PM GMT
I just started checking into my family tree and discovered that Mitchel Clay is my great, great, great, great great grandfather. My grandmothers name was Edith (Clay) Ledford. I have looked for information on the Ledford side but have not yet found much. Debbie

Re: Mitchell CLAY

Pat Ahwash (View posts)
Posted: 27 Dec 1999 5:57PM GMT
Edited: 2 Oct 2008 4:38PM GMT
The Clay family of English-Cavalier extraction settled in the Virginia tidewater section in the early 1600's. Charles Clay of Hanover county near Richmond, was a distinguished member of the family, and was said to possess the finest library in the entire colony. A descendent was Henry Clay of Kentucky, born near the Slashes in Hanover county. Another descendent was Mitchell Clay born in Hanover county, moved westward beyond the Blue Ridge mountains, and married Phoebe Belcher of Bedford county in 1760......This is part of an account written by my father, Clay F. Peters now deceased, who was the great, great grandson of Mitchell Clay. The story was told to him by the children of Sally Clay Peters, daughter of Mitchell Clay. David E. Johnston wrote A History of the Middle New River Settlements in which he gives an account of the murder of two Clay children and kidnapping of another at Clover Bottom in southwestern Virginia, now Mercer County, West Virginia. The Mitchell Clay left Clover bottom after the attack and settled in Pearisburg, VA. The book has a picture of this house. Son Bartley was killed and Ezekiel was kidnapped and burned at the stake at present-day Chillecothe, Ohio. Surviving sons were: David, Mitchell Jr., Charles, William, and Henry. Three served in the War of 1812. Daughters were Sally, Patience, Obedience, Rebecca, Naomi, and Mary. Tabitha was killed when she tried to defend her brother in the Indian attack. I only know about the descendents of Sally(Sarah) Clay but I hope this helps. The relationship between Henry and Mitchell Clay was unclear to my father He understood that they were either first cousins or that Mitchell Clay was the uncle of Henry but it is possible they never met. There is a statue on the Mercer County, WV Court House lawn of Mitchell and Pheobe Clay commemorating them as the county's first settlers. I was interviewing a lady at her home in southern WV and she showed me a framed document her mother prepared which traced Mitchell Clay back to Lord Henry Clay of the British House of Windsor.

Re: CLAY Family in WV

Rebecca (View posts)
Posted: 7 Feb 2000 1:45PM GMT
Edited: 2 Oct 2008 4:45PM GMT
My family comes from Mercer County West Virginia and I guess what is called Whyoming County West Virginia. My grandmothers name is Betty Goode Brown. Her mothers last name was Clay. I agree there are alot of us in West Virginia. My mother was born and raised in Beckley. My grandmother and some of my cousins have a family tree book going that is very current(someone in the family has it) There is also a book called "whyoming County history"

Re: Mitchell Clay

Rebecca (View posts)
Posted: 7 Feb 2000 2:04PM GMT
Edited: 2 Oct 2008 4:44PM GMT
I believe my family is related to Mitchell clay. The story that was told about the indian rade and the killing of part of the family is true. There is a memorial Grave in a private Clay family plot of my family for it. It mourns the loss of Phoebe Belcher clay as well as the two brothers. There was a party that went after the indian tribe that attacked the family and leather shaving straps was made out of their skins(dont know if true)This was supposed to be passed down from generation to generation but I have no clue after that. I know that my family settled the area that is called "Mercer County" as well as Whyoming County and have been there ever since the raid. We are also related to "Shumate, Stewart,Brown, Canteburry, and Shaws"

Re: Phoebe CLAY

Rebecca (View posts)
Posted: 7 Feb 2000 2:06PM GMT
Edited: 2 Oct 2008 4:46PM GMT
I am sorry it was Tabitha not Phoebe that was killed/ Phoebe belcher Clay was another relative of mine.

Re: Henry and Mitchell CLAY

Libby-Clay-Mullins (View posts)
Posted: 16 Apr 2000 8:47PM GMT
Edited: 2 Oct 2008 4:39PM GMT
I was wondering if you had any more information on Herny or Mitchell Clay.My dad was at the unveiling of the statue.He was given a pin and a certificate for being kin to Michell.We have traced Back to we think Henry J Clay who was married to Polly was my dads great grandfather.Henry had a son in 1840 named Hiram Clay. He served in Company G 22nd Virginia Infantry Confederate Army. My dad is John Garland Clay Sr. His dad Benjamin Clay.His dad was Henry J Clay.If you have Any information please let me know. Thank You.

Re: Henry and Mitchell CLAY

Posted: 17 Apr 2000 3:51AM GMT
Edited: 2 Oct 2008 4:39PM GMT
I have much information on the W. Va Clays. the early information on the original John Clay is from Robert Young Clay at the Virginia Archives, and varies markedly from what you see posted here, but is direct research done in England. Would love to get the correct information out. Anyway, there are at least 4 Mitchel Clays. I have Henry J. Clay with 10 children from Rhoda Solesbury and 8 children from Mattie Miller. I do not have a Hiram from Henry J, but I would not say that your information is incorrect, as I am not well documented on him as this is not my direct line. I do have a Hyrum who married Elizabeth Mullins son of a Henry Clay who married a Mary ?. This Henry is the son of Mitchell Clay Jr. who by the way married his cousin Judah Clay. I have Hyrum and Mary having 11 children. Does this sound right? Please email me at jacord521@aol.com for more info.

Pat (View posts)
Posted: 23 May 2001 11:21PM GMT
Edited: 2 Oct 2008 4:48PM GMT
Was a gr gr gr gr grandfather of mine. I have a family tree on this. I live in Mercer County and see the statue everyday at our courthouse. There is also a plaque about him at Lashmeet in Lake Bottom.

Posted: 8 Jun 2003 2:30AM GMT
Edited: 2 Oct 2008 4:48PM GMT
Surnames: Belcher, Clay
Hi Rebecca,
I to am a descendant of Mitchel Clay and Pheobe Belcher
Their daughter Obedience Clay married John French. I am trying to document this information so that I may join the DAR. I saw your post and was wondering if there is a chance that you may have a copy of the Clay family book that was referenced on the Rootsweb posting. If not do you know where I might get a copy? Is there a copy of the will of Mitchel Clay at the courthouse in Mercer County? How would mail for a copy?
Any help will greatly be appreciated
Ellen Folsom
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | Terms and Conditions