Search for content in message boards

Frederick Grivois?

Frederick Grivois?

Posted: 11 Aug 2008 4:47PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Grivois, Thibodeau, Dubay
I am looking for information about Frederick Grivois, born on July 18th 1885. He was apparently adopted by the Grivois'. I don't know his adoptive or biological parents names which is what i would like to find. From what i know he was born in St-Basile and ended up in Van Buren, Maine. He was married to Azalie (last name unknown) and had a son, Alphé E. Grivois, both of who died before the 1920 Census of Maine. He then married Alice Thibodeau, widow of James Dubay. He was registered for WWI and II, in Van Buren, Maine and Hartford, Conn. respectively. If anyone has any information I would really appreciate it.
Thank you
Jessica

Re: Frederick Grivois?

Posted: 29 Oct 2008 5:56PM GMT
Surnames: Grivois
According to his Social Security Death Certificate
he was born 1875 and not 1885 (family search website).
Census 1881 available at FamilySearch Website and more.

Look at history also, to understand the boundary of Madawaska and Maine in 1842. Grivois in the Acadian history is also know as Guedry, Gueddry, Guildry, etc.

Ginette

Posted: 23 Nov 2009 5:03PM GMT
Surnames: Grivois
Hi, My grandfather was Fred Grivois from Van Buren Maine.
The birthdate I have for him is 07/18/1875. My dad, Clifford, was a child from his first marriage. Dad was born in 1912 and he had a younger brother Alfred. After his mom died, Fred put the boys in an orphanage when he got remarried. Don't know much about that side of my family. Only met pe pere Fred once when I was about 9 in the 60's.
My dad looked just like him. Please contact me.

natalie@tvnvideo.com Natalie Grivois McAllister

Posted: 30 Dec 2010 9:50PM GMT
Hi Natalie,
Since first posting my query I have found many details about Fred. I found his birth certificate, which I have attached. I have also discovered that Fred and his first wife Azelie (or Azalie) had 6 children together between 1910 and 1917. Azalie died in 1919 from pneumonia. The story I had of Fred being adopted is obviously wrong and I believe someone was confused and meant to say that his children were put up for adoption, like you mentioned your father was. I also found out that his name is actually Alfred and not Frederick. Do you have a date for Alfred, Clifford's brother? I believe he would have been born June 2nd, 1916. I hope this helps if you like you can contact me by email at cyrjessica@hotmail.com.
Jessica Grivois Cyr
Attachments:

Posted: 24 May 2013 10:34AM GMT
Edited: 24 May 2013 10:35AM GMT
Fred Grivois & Alice are my Great Grand Parents. My Grand Mother is Constance Fortin(Grivois) their Daughter. I was thinking when I am up to Van Buren this summer hitting her up with some more family information about Fred & Alice and their parents/kids etc to help with finding information of my lineage. Going to try to get copies of pictures, etc..

Posted: 2 Feb 2014 1:23AM GMT
Marcel Grivois, father of George Alfred Grivois, first married a lady by the name of Nancy with whom he was living in 1870. In 1880 he was a widower living with his 72-year old aunt Elizabeth Grivois (Guédry) and an 18-year old servant named Demeuse Levasseur. Evidently, Marcel Grivois and Ms. Lavasseur married shortly after the 1880 census and had Alfred. In 1900 Alfred was a servant in Madawaska for the family of Octave Paradis.

Marcel's father was Joseph Gatien Guédry (husband of Thècle Martin). Joseph Gatien Guédry was the son of Romain Guédry and Marie Comeau, who migrated to the Grand Isle Plantation area several years before 1836 from Meteghan, Nova Scotia. They left Meteghan about 1820 with their family of four sons (Hilaire, Jean-Anselme, Joseph Gatien and Calais) and two daughters (Marie and Marie-Elizabeth) and went first to Carleton, Quebec (just across the Restigouche River from Campbellton, New Brunswick). Hilaire Guédry married Cécile Bourg in Carleton and founded a large family with descendants in eastern New Brunswick today. The rest of the family left Carleton about 1830 and went to Grand Isle Plantation in today's Maine.

Romain Guédry's parents were Augustin Guédry dit Grivois and Marie-Françoise Jeanson. His grandparents were Pierre Guédry dit Labine and Marguerite Brasseau. His great-grandparents were Claude Guédry and Marguerite Petitpas. Initially Romain's family was called Guédry when in Carleton and Grand Isle Plantation (although the spelling was butchered by the English census takers). About 1860-1870 they began to use the name Grivois - probably after the dit name of Romain's father Augustin Guédry dit Grivois.

Anyway that's a brief history of the Marcel Grivois family of northeastern Maine.

Martin Guidry
Baton Rouge, Louisiana

Posted: 2 Feb 2014 2:36AM GMT
Thank you Martin. I have found most of what you have posted. The new information you mention is the 1900 census where Alfred is a servant in the Octave Paradis. I don't think I had this. Only one thing I can add to what you have here is that 'Nancy' is Anastasie Doucette and she and Marcel had a son. The original post about adoption was a story told to me by a Great Uncle, which turned out to be inaccurate. I now know that Alfred was not adopted by the Grivois family, but there is new evidence that Fred's children were placed in an orphanage in New Brunswick or with other families when their mother died while they were very young.

Jessica Cyr
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions