Search for content in message boards

Cemeteries Cobb County Ga.

Cemeteries Cobb County Ga.

Posted: 19 Aug 2001 1:51PM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 2 Mar 2004 7:37PM GMT
Sandy Plain Cemetery # 3, old Sandy Plain Cemetery and Sandy Plain Baptist Church Cemetery, located in East Cobb County Georgia, one is close to Sprayberry High school.

Searching for a list of Garmons buried in these cemeteries. I understand that some of the graves are marked by field stones only. Can anyone help?

Thank you.

Re: Cemeteries Cobb County Ga.

Posted: 3 Oct 2001 7:34PM GMT
Classification: Birth
Edited: 3 Oct 2001 7:34PM GMT
I've been to the one across form the high school... most are marked well. but very hard to read. Most of this cemetery is very old and the stones are servely weathered. I have relatives buried there...

Michael
mepluribus@yahoo.com

Posted: 4 Oct 2001 12:26PM GMT
Classification: Cemetery
Edited: 15 Jul 2005 2:28PM GMT
Listed in Sandy Plains Cemetery

Garmon, Infant, 7 Sept 1901, 13 Sept 1901, Daughter of J.W. and M.S. Garmon
Garmon, Mima Steel, 20 Dec 1877, 19 Sept 1901, Wife of J.W. Garmon

There are other Garmon's in Cobb County buried in cemeteries other than Sandy Plains. If you have specific Garmon names, I'll be glad to look them up for you.

Posted: 10 Oct 2001 8:57PM GMT
Edited: 2 Mar 2004 7:37PM GMT
Please check following names.

Wilson Henley Garmon
Larkin Francis Garmon
Alfred Garmon
Elizabeth Garmon
Eliza Jane Garmon Holden

Posted: 24 Sep 2005 6:15AM GMT
I leave about 4 miles from there.Please send your list of names to KazzaMW@comcast.net & I'll look for you.

Posted: 17 Dec 2006 2:37AM GMT
Surnames: Murdock
Since you live in that area, are you familiar with the "Old Sandy Plains Cemetery" somewhere in that area.
According to the Cobb County Library cemetery book, it is in the woods on the east side of Shaw Road. I have been from one end of Shaw road to the other and cannot find any woods that would contain a cemetery.
According to Sarah Gober Temple's "The First Hundred Years, A Short History of Cobb County in Georgia (orig. published in 1935, reprinted 1997), page 809: "Old Sandy Plains Cemetery, Proceed 1 mile from turn off at Sandy Plains Rd. Turn to right to residence of M J Gunnin, cemetery is on the hill back of the house."
I have tried to find this location also and have failed miserably. Do you know the area well enough to help me??
Nina Easterwood Emmons

Posted: 27 Jun 2010 5:46PM GMT
I have tried to locate this cemetery too and all I could come up with was a VERY large overgrown area that I really did not want to go in by myself. I could not see from the street and signs of graves.

Posted: 27 Jan 2013 2:04PM GMT
I believe I may know the answer to your question. Pulte Homes is building a new subdivision off of Shaw Rd. called Woodrush ... see website www.pultehome.com/woodrush
They only have two homes that are built so far. Yesterday we talked to the onsite agent from Pulte and we asked her why did they fence off an area at the entrance off of Shaw road and she said it was an old cemetery that belonged to the Murdoch family. It was up on a hill and there were no indication of a cemetery. I don't know if she had the family name correct. Who knows ... maybe it is the cemetery that you are looking for. The subdivision is easy to find. Just go to Pulte's website and it'll have directions. Good luck.

Posted: 27 Feb 2013 7:43PM GMT
JMCHUMM66, you are exactly correct. I just saw this thread by accident... could have answered this one a while ago! They have it fenced off and now have signs on it. This was a mystery cemetery to me years ago, and when I found it was amazed.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions