John, Anna, William, James, Rebecca, Mary "Polly", Arthur,
Sarah "Sally", Joseph, Nancy Caroline.

Re: John McFarland

Glen Pryor (View posts)
Posted: 7 Sep 2000 8:58PM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 10 May 2005 11:49PM GMT
Surnames: Buie
In my family there was a John that came over from Scotland in 1772. Married catherine Buie in Cumberland, NC. They had a son John Buie. Any Help?

Posted: 9 Sep 2000 1:13PM GMT
Edited: 10 May 2005 11:50PM GMT
Surnames: Montgomery, Kinder, Bell
My John came much earlier. He was married to Mary Montgomery.
They had a son John but he was born in 1738/39 in Lancaster Co
P.A. He was married to Mary Kinder, he died in Buncombe Co., NC.
They had a son John b: 1764 in Augusta Co., VA he married a Rebecca
Bell. They had a son John b: 1787, he married a Mary ?. He was b in
Greene Co., TN. (lots of Johns huh?)

Posted: 5 Feb 2003 2:34AM GMT
Edited: 10 May 2005 11:51PM GMT
Surnames: McFarland, Buie, Gordan, Atkins
John McFarland md. Catherine Buie, 3rd child was John Buie McFarland who married Sally Ann Gordon. One of their children was Thomas Gordon McFarland. His son was Josiah Anderson McFarland who married Elizabeth Gates Atkins. They hay had one daughter who lived to adulthood, my grandmother, Mary Elizabeth McFarland. Please let me know how you know about John McFarland emigrated in 1770. John and Catherine's children were born 1760-1772. Do you know where in Scotland? I went to to the seat of the McFarlands in Scotland Luss, Arrochar, Loch Lomond, but there is some reference in the book Carolina Scots that Catherine's father was from Jura, Scotland. Thanks for any info!

Posted: 5 Feb 2003 11:42AM GMT
Edited: 10 May 2005 11:51PM GMT
Surnames: McFarland, Buie
I read your mesage with great interest. I have McFarlands who settled in Guilford County, North Carolina. My earliest known ancestor is John McFarland born about 1800. He married someone named Sarah D. We haven't been able to locate her last name. There were 10 children but I have only been able to locate 2 of them, my great grandfather and one of his sisters who both moved to Hendricks County, IN. If you are interested in this line let me know and I will provide more information.

But in another family branch I have some Buies. They lived in Saline County, Missouri. I don't have as much information as they married into my Baldus family but I can share what little I do have if you are interested.

Conni Mitchell Braun
email: cbraun675@wideopenwest.com

Posted: 9 May 2005 3:07AM GMT
Edited: 10 May 2005 11:52PM GMT
Surnames: McFarland
Sorry for taking so long to get back to you, got to investigating my other families and just got back to the McFarland line. Email me and I will give you the info I have. My Great Aunt Silas McFarland did the research.
Glen Pryor

Posted: 9 Aug 2006 6:45AM GMT
I'm coming in on this a long way down the line and I'm sure you have more information by now.
I just found our Buie connectin the other day, but have since found:
John McFarland b 9/18/1735 in St Ninians, Logie, Stirling, Scotland, died 1767 in Cumberland County, North Carolina. Married Catherine Buie (daughter of Donald Buie) b 1735 in Jura, Scotland in 1755 in Cumberland, North Carolina. that would mean they came over before 1770. She died August 1787 in North Carolina. One source has a 2nd husband for her: John McNair in 1772.
Our connection is from John Buie McFarland's daughter Marian Gordon McFarland. I'm looking for more information on her husband Lodowich McLeod if anyone knows anything.

Posted: 19 Sep 2008 8:53PM GMT
Surnames: McFarland
Interested to see the date and place of birth of John McFarland (I am descended from his daughter Margaret and his son Daniel). Do you mind sharing with me your source of info for the date and place of birth?
Many thanks.

Posted: 20 Sep 2008 12:32AM GMT
Well, it's all based on others work...unfortunately... not my original research.
I have a report which was sent to me by Sandra Larson, researching the family for many years.... I took her data as gospel.... I see, looking on Ancestry.com family trees, that some people have him coming from Jura, as Catherine did.... but I really can't say for sure.
If you want me to send you a copy of her report, send me your email address to deburke1@yahoo.com and I will be glad to.

http://jimbuie.blogs.com/journal/2004/04/tracing_my_root.htm...
mentions John McFarland in passing and Catheirne Buie, but generally interesting....

Thanks! Dorothy

Posted: 23 Sep 2008 12:17AM GMT
My source was the Callander, Scotland, church parish records from which I found on familysearch.com . They had microfilm of the record.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic