Search for content in message boards

Holy Hope Cemetery Tucson

Holy Hope Cemetery Tucson

Posted: 30 Oct 2008 12:00AM GMT
Classification: Query
Has anyone had any problem finding older graves at this cemetery? I have had two separate people contact me after going there and trying to find the grave of my Great uncle, died 1914. They have informed me that the older section at Holy Hope is in deplorable condition with graves over grown with grass and dirt etc.

Re: Holy Hope Cemetery Tucson

Posted: 7 Jul 2009 7:54PM GMT
We have been looking for my great-grandmother with zero help from the Cemetery staff. I have asked to speak to manager many times and have been redirected to other people. The Archdiocese is suppose to have records but there is none for her supposabley.

Posted: 21 Aug 2009 5:49AM GMT
I recently requested several photos from the findagrave volunteers for Holy Hope Cemetery. Initially, they were told that records did not exist. I emailed an inquiry to Holy Hope and received a reply from the cemetery systems coordinator. She was also able to provide me with the burial locations.

She was extremely knowledgeable about the history of the cemetery and explained that there are areas of the cemetery that they "are not able to rehabilitate...due to an agreement with local Tribes." This may account for the condition of the cemetery in some areas, in addition to environmental elements that they cannot control. More than likely, they do not have the premises strewn with lawn chairs and beer bottles. This is the case with the Yuma Cemetery which I have visited.

I found the Coordinator to be both professional and extremely helpful. She would encourage any individual seeking information on burials prior to 1960 to send an email to familyservice@dotcc.org. "I’ll do my very best to answer each one as quickly and thoroughly as possible."

I'd also like to mention that the Find A Grave volunteers do a tremendous job and should be commended for their generosity in photographing the gravestones.

Posted: 30 Aug 2012 7:29PM GMT
Just a quick update on Holy Hope. Try contacting HH again as they have had a 100% turn around in customer service.

About 6 months ago, the receptionist wanted to charge me up to $25/name to tell me where somebody was buried or I could go on line to submit the request, pay $12/name and wait 6 - 8 weeks for the info to arrive via snail mail!

Now, there is a new receptionist who is extremely pleasant and very helpful.

So, if you are still trying to get info, contact Holy Hope again and you should have better results.

BTW, it isn't just the older sections of the cemetery that are in disrepair. Many, many newer (last 10 years even) markers are already buried in dirt, mud, dried grass, etc. It is a shame.

Linda
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | Terms and Conditions