Search for content in message boards

RootsMagic 6 - event desciptions query

RootsMagic 6 - event desciptions query

Posted: 21 Jun 2013 10:04PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: RootsMagic
I have older versions of RootsMagic and loved the programme except for one thing - when importing Gedcom files the descriptions, often very detailed, were curtailed to a single, short line. Entering long descriptions manually also couldn't be done.
For this reason I eventually stopped using it but, if this has been resolved in version 6, then I would happily upgrade and start using it again.
Can anyone help, please? Thanks.

Re: RootsMagic 6 - event desciptions query

Posted: 22 Jun 2013 1:40PM GMT
Forgive me for asking a dumb question I am thinking of using RM and do not have the program yet. What is a GEDCOM description? Are you talking about a GEDCOM NOTE? I do not see a GEDCOM description in the documentation.

Posted: 22 Jun 2013 7:01PM GMT
I am not familiar with the precise definition of the GEDCOM format but I think this is partly a matter of terminology. In RM a fact definition contains up to three basic attributes: Date, Place, Description. (All facts can have the Note, Source, and Sort Date fields). I have examined GEDCOMs exported by Legacy and FTM2012 and it seems that the Description is contained within the 1 EVEN label. According to an analysis on The Complete Genealogy Reporter website http://www.tcgr.bufton.org/tcgpcomp.htm this is a non-standard use of the EVEN tag. Incidentally that web page is well worth reading if you intend to move data between different genalogy programs.

Posted: 22 Jun 2013 7:32PM GMT
Sorry I didn't answer the OP's question. As an experiment I attempted to put the whole of my previous post into the description field of a Census event in FTM2012. That failed, in the sense that it was truncated after approx 200 characters (sorry I haven't the patience to count), anyway ignoring that I exported the file to a GEDCOM and then imported it into RM6. The import gave only the first 64 characters. An examination of the GEDCOM revealed that all of the description had been exported by FTM2012 using CONC labels but only the first line was imported into RM6. A bit long-winded, sorry, but the answer to your question is NO the problem has not been resolved.

Posted: 22 Jun 2013 10:26PM GMT
The description field is intended as a single short descriptive value, like the occupation for an occupation fact type. It is exported to GEDCOM on the same line as the event tag, and is therefore limited to a single line (CONT and CONC are not allowed).

If you want to enter longer details for a fact, then you should be using the note (exported using the NOTE tag which does support CONC and CONT). Every fact in RootsMagic has a note field.

Posted: 23 Jun 2013 5:50AM GMT
Edited: 23 Jun 2013 6:27AM GMT
This is why I asked the question I did. If a description as defined by this software is placed in a GEDCOM following ANY level one GEDCOM event tag (such as BIRT, DEAT, ADOP, BURI, etc) this would be an invalid use of the tag. To be precise only about half of the GEDCOM "fact" tags allow a value following the tag (such as OCCU, SSN, RELI all are know as Attributes) and only DSCR (physical_description) allows for more than one line and each line can not be more than 255 charactors including 7 for the level and tag code.

Posted: 23 Jun 2013 9:09AM GMT
Thank you for replying. I am afraid I don't know what CONC and CONT are. I just download my Ancestry Tree and import to RM and this doesn't work.
It does work importing to Family Tree Maker, though.

Posted: 23 Jun 2013 9:11AM GMT
Thank you very much for your clear reply. Now I know it's not just me I shall not be upgrading.

Posted: 23 Jun 2013 1:53PM GMT
Edited: 23 Jun 2013 1:54PM GMT
CONC and CONT are GEDCOM codes that are used to continue tags from one line to another. The rules of GEDCOM allow only specific tags to be continued to additional lines, most "fact" type tags do not qualify for continuation, and as stated "fact" tag also has rules that dictate what tags can have data following the tag and what tags can not. It looks like RM violates this simple set of GEDCOM rules as does FTM and probably a few others.

Looks like I will not be using these products either!!

Posted: 23 Jun 2013 2:55PM GMT
Thanks again. The only way round it on RM would seem to be if I were to manually re-write the descriptions as notes - I have 3,900 people in my Tree with many notes to each. I'll just stick with FTM for now.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic