Search for content in message boards

Edwin Dey Downs, DDS born 1852 Havana, NY

Edwin Dey Downs, DDS born 1852 Havana, NY

Posted: 17 Oct 2010 8:32PM GMT
Classification: Query
My great, great grandfather Edwin Dey Downs was born in Havana, NY (now Montour Falls) in 1852. He graduated from Philadelphia College in 1882 and practiced dentistry in Owego, Tioga County, NY until his death on November 25, 1915. His obituary in the Dental Cosmos mentions that he is a direct descendant of Myles Standish. I am attempting to confirm his parents who I believe were Edwin H. Downs and Abbey S ??? I have reason to believe that Abbey may have been a “Leach” of Tioga County New York but have no definite source. My father and his father were both named Merle Leach Downs. Any assistance would be welcome.
Ginger Leach Downs

Re: Edwin Dey Downs, DDS born 1852 Havana, NY

Posted: 22 Oct 2010 11:04PM GMT
gd - US Census 1860 Havana,NY shows Edwin H. Downs,48, his wife Abbey S. 39; dau,s Leila 6 & Ellen age(?) & son Edwin
age 8---liv. in same house were Frederick Leach, 45 & Stephen Leach age 40(shows a "Leach" connection you mentioned)-- 1910 US Census Owego, NY shows Edwin Downs, Dentist, age 48, who reported he was born in 1852, his wife Dora S age 46, born 1853 -they reported having been married 27 yrs w/ only 1 of their 2 children still alive that year & that was Merle age 24, b. 1875 living there w/ them--also liv. there is MOTHER Abby S Downs a widow, age 79, b. 1820--hope this helps, Resp, GJ Messmer

Posted: 18 Sep 2012 8:18AM GMT
I'm sure you have found your connection by now. But Abby Leach was the daughter of Ephraim Leach and Sophia Jones the sister of Frederick and Stephen. She was also the sister of my grgrgr grandfather Sewell Jones Leach. The Leach family were silversmiths, dentists, millners etc.

Posted: 18 Sep 2012 11:59PM GMT
Do you realize the Leaches were related to 5 Pilgrim families, the most prominent being Miles Standish?
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions