Search for content in message boards

Hugh and Miles Ward in North Carolina 1720's

Hugh and Miles Ward in North Carolina 1720's

Posted: 26 Jun 2000 5:15PM GMT
Edited: 15 Jul 2001 1:56AM GMT
I am looking for information about brothers, Hugh and Miles Ward that came to North Carolina in the 1720's from Scotland. I am trying to trace the decendents of Hugh Ward.

Ward family

Posted: 27 Jun 2000 10:13AM GMT
Edited: 1 Jul 2001 4:33AM GMT
My gggrandfather was Hugh Ward He was born circa 1820 He married Lavenia Scales, They are both buried in Warrick Co, Ind. Have not been able to find out much info on him. If this is any help would like to exchange info. Norma Pitz
Posted: 27 Jun 2000 8:11PM GMT
Sorry, this is not the same Hugh Ward. They could be related in some way but I don't know how. Wish I could help you.

Hugh Miles Ward

Harvey Ward (View posts)
Posted: 28 Jun 2000 11:28AM GMT
I'm not sure this is the same branch, but Theophilus Ward seems to have been born in the Neuse River, NC area in or about 1745. He moved to the Darlington Co. SC area and had many children including my ancestor Simon. If this sounds correct to you please respond.

Hugh Miles Ward

Posted: 28 Jun 2000 8:10PM GMT
I am not sure if this is the same branch but I will check it out. Thank you for responding.

Hugh and Miles Ward

Posted: 4 Jul 2000 8:03AM GMT
Edited: 7 Nov 2006 10:33PM GMT
I am very interested in any info you have for Wards from Scotland
I have a brick wall in front of me before my ancestor Benjamin Ward
In Orange county, N.C. I have him as being born in 1795, and dying after 1860.
We may have a match here, but If not, I'll keep my eyes open for you.

Hugh Miles Ward

Posted: 4 Jul 2000 8:09PM GMT
Bradley,
There is a book called Valley of the Scots by Malcolm Fowler. In Chapt. 4 of the book, he talks about a group of Scots that came over from Scotland in 1739 and formed the Argyll Colony. Two of the 350 passengers were Hugh and Miles Ward. Also,in the Directory of Scots in the Carolinas from 1680 to 1830 Hugh and Miles Ward are listed as emigrating from Scotland to Brunswick, NC during September 1739.
I have been told by family that ancestors came in thru North Carolina then to South Carolina and eventually ended up in Texas.
I have been able to get back to my ggggrandfather Isaac Ward who was born somewhere in South Carolina. I think that Hugh Ward may be my ancestor since there are a lot of Hugh Wards in my family. However, I have not been able to make the connection between Isaac Ward and Hugh Ward. There are a couple of generations missing.
Also, I have found in the Scottish Church Records that a Hugh (Hewgh) Ward was Christened on Jan 16, 1704 at St. Andrews, Orkney, Scotland. His father is David Ward. I don't know if this is the same Hugh Ward that came to NC, however, the age is about right.
I don't know if this will help you any. I would like to know if you are of the same Ward linage. I have a lot of information on the Wards but have also run into a brick wall in the Carolinas. There are so many Wards in that area that it gets very confusing trying to trace a family. I spent a week in the Carolinas several years ago and found the information listed above, and that is as far as I have been able to get.
I would appreciate any information you may have in regards to the Wards.
Thanks,
Peggy Little

Hugh and Isaac Ward

Posted: 8 Jul 2000 9:10AM GMT
Where exactly is that town in NC? What county I mean. There
are many counties making "Heritage of __ county"
books, and it can make our search easier. I have
most of my Wards in Randolph, Guilford, and perhaps some in Orange
county. My ancestors settled here in the piedmont area, then some went to
the mountains, namely Henderson county,
then returned back to Randolph, and their roots.
Hopefully we can knock down that wall. If not,
maybe we should start a NC Wards Message Board. I'm sure there
are others that would benifit from sorting out all the
Wards in NC. If you want, you can also e-mail me
about the Ward line, and I can send you text
file versions of my genealogy printouts on my Ward line.
Here's hoping!
Brad

Hugh and Miles Ward

Posted: 12 Jul 2000 8:26PM GMT
The counties mentioned in the article are Hanover, Bladen, and Cumberland. However, somewhere, I have maps of North Carolina in the 1700's and the counties have changed a great deal. I hope to get a scanner soon so I can send some of this information to you. It would be great if we could make a connection with all of these Wards in N.C. and in S.C. I will keep looking for my N.C. county maps in the 1700s.
Hope this helps you.
Peggy Little

Wards in NC

Posted: 13 Jul 2000 9:48AM GMT
Cumberland sounds like it might fit in. After all, my Wards were in the NC mountains for awhile..
Let's see about that first.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic