Search for content in message boards

Grow

Posted: 8 Mar 2013 4:39AM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Grow, Stuart
Seeking information on Daniel Stuart Grow, son of Theodore Melville Grow and Sarah Jane Stuart. He was born 1892 in Salt Lake City, Utah and died in the same city in 1972. Need information on any marriages or offspring.
Posted: 9 Mar 2013 2:24AM GMT
Edited: 9 Mar 2013 2:48AM GMT
Daniel Grow got into a bit of trouble in 1910 as was sentenced to Utah state prison 2nd degree burglary. Daniel S, Grow was 18 at the time of his incarceration.

Daniel Grow was the common law husband of Eva Margaret Holmes, woman burgular, who was shot and killed January 30, 1935, when she attempted to enter the Riverside grocery store. (see attached)

If you'd like to give me your email address, I can email some documents to you with regards to this.

I found the marriage for Daniels parents:
Bride's name is Sadie Stewart which differs from Sarah Stuart, but I believe this is the same person.

Groom Last Name: GROW
Groom First Name: Theodore
Bride Last Name: STEWART
Bride First Name: Sadie
Place: Salt Lake City
Date: 14 Mar 1877
County of Record: Salt Lake
State: Utah

Sarah Stewart Grow died in SLC on January 16, 1918. She was a widow at the time of her death.
Born in Iowa Dec 16, 1857 to William Stewart and Sarah Monroe

I found only two Children born to Theodore and Sarah Grow, one female one male.
Salt Lake County Births:

Sex: M
Color: WHITE
Race: AMERICAN
Birth Date: 11/15/1901
Birth Place: 353 N 3RD WEST
Parents
Father: GROW, THEO M
Mother: STUART, S J
Residence: 353 N 3TH WEST
Sex: F
Color: WHITE
Race: AMERICAN
Birth Date: 08/15/1898
Birth Place: SALT LAKE CITY
Father: GROW, T M
Mother: STUART, S J
Residence: 531 NORTH 4TH WEST

Obituary for Daniel S. "Bob" Grow Attached
Salt Lake Tribune
Thursday,December 14,1972,Salt Lake City,Utah

Attachments:

Re: Marriage

Posted: 10 Mar 2013 6:35AM GMT
I would love to see the documents that you have on the death of Eva Margaret Holm. Can you please tell me the source of the news clipping about her death?
Thanks, Terri
Terridav@pacbell.net

Posted: 10 Mar 2013 7:08AM GMT
On his 1917 WWI draft registration card, it says he had "Common Law Wife and three children".

This could not have been Eva(even though she was living with him at the time of her death). She was born 23 May 1905, and would have been 12 years old in 1917(date of the WWI Draft Reg). She was married in 1923 to Bert Rigney, and only had one son b 1924. I have full documentation on her.

Her son says "She was living with this 'bootlegger' Bob GROW. Bob and Eva had an argument one night, and Eva packed a suitcase with all her things in it and headed for the streetcar, probably heading to Provo Utah and her family. She walked to the corner and there was grocery store on the corner, it was late at night. She sat her suitcase down and then just walked through the plate glass of the door to the grocery store (she didn't even try to open the door). She was not a thief and was not stealing anything - she walked right past the cash register and didn't take anything. She walked down the aisles. The grocery store owner came out of the back room with his shot gun after hearing the glass crashing. He yelled several times for her to stop, but she just kept walking. The store owner shot her right between the eyes. She died instantly. It has never been determined why she did this or acted this way. (possibly drugs - or just a state of shock). The grocery store owner was put in an insane asylum a year after the shooting, because he couldn't live with what he had done."

Posted: 10 Mar 2013 7:26PM GMT
I found two clippings on Ancestry.com but under the wrong name. Try Eva Martha Holmes. The first was "Woman Slain As She Prowls In S.L. Store". The second was "Grocer Freed In Death Case", which was in the Ogden Standard Examiner on Jan.31, 1935. In that article she is referred to as Eva Margaret Holmes.
Thank you for sharing your interesting story. I'm actually trying to chase down an offspring of that bootlegger, Bob Grow, the individual being born in 1921 so it doesn't seem likely that Eva was the mother.

D. Stewart Grow marriage

Posted: 12 Mar 2013 2:59AM GMT

Daniel Grow married L. Eva Lewellen on September 8, 1924, Pocatello, Bannock county, Idaho.
Record is listed under the name: Grow, D. Stewart and Lewellen, L. Eva.

Re: D. Stewart Grow marriage

Posted: 13 Mar 2013 2:28AM GMT
Thank you very much for the info. It had been suggested to me in the last day or two that I was dealing with two different Evas and now I can eliminate both. The wife (or partner)that I'm searching for is Geneva, who mothered his son, Robert Stewart Grow, in January 1921 in Salt Lake City. Robert comittted suicide in San Francisco in 1976.

Re: D. Stewart Grow marriage

Posted: 13 Mar 2013 2:46AM GMT
I had the same thought that there were two of the same name, different people. Glad you were able to find the information you needed.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic