Edited: 15 Jul 2009 7:33PM GMT
LINDA MANY ARE SEARCHING FOR CORRECT PARENTS
OF JAMES BIGBY/BIGBEE/BEGBY/SR B,1776? WE KNOW
NOT WHERE, WE KNOW HE MARRIED CATHERINE FOR---
MAN, IN CASS CO GA, WHICH IS NOW BORTOW CO, AND
LIVED IN TN, WENT WEST , I WROTE TO WASH,ARCIVES
NO LUCK HIS G,G.SON SAY'S HIS FILES ARE CLOSED,
COULD THIS BE POSSIBLE,
ANY INFO, YOU HAVE AND WILL SHARE WOULD BE GREAT, I AM A DESCENDENT OF MARY ANN (POLLY)
BIGBY DAU, OF CATHERINE AND JAMES,

SHIRLEY PAYNE HAMBY thehams@tds.net

Re: catherine foreman/ husband james bigby sr,/cass co ga, tn, ok,

Lisa Engstrand (View posts)
Posted: 26 Feb 2004 5:19PM GMT
Classification: Query
Hi,
I have some information regarding James Bigby, Jr. who was married to Catherine Foreman, parents of Mary Ann Polly Bigby. You might want to check the Drennan Rolls #611. I found some possible information on the family on the 1835 Census of McMinn Co., TN Candy's Creek.

James Bigby Jr is said to be buried on Hungry Mountain, 18 miles from Tahlequah.

Posted: 26 Feb 2004 5:28PM GMT
You also might want to check into the Amohee District of Tennessee to see if you can find any records there. James and Catherine lived near the Candy's Creek Mission in TN.
They seem to have applied for Citizenship in March of 1838.

shirley hamby (View posts)
Posted: 28 Feb 2004 1:03PM GMT
LISA,
THANK YOU FOR YOUR REPLY, IHAVE SEARCH A LOT OF PLACES FOR JAMES BIGBY SR, ALLWAYS A DEAD END,
I AM GOING TO TN, SOON, I WROTE TO THE CHEROKEE.
INDIAN RES, NOTHING I DIDNT KNOW THERE,AND ALSO
WASH,TO B, INDIAN AFFAIRS GOTTA HAVE AND APPA,
NUMBER WHICH I DIDNT HAVE,
A LOT OF HIS G,GG,GGG,GGGG,SO ON ARE SEARCHING FOR HIS PARENT NO WITH NO SUCESS,
WILL APPPRECIATE ANY INFO,

jerry l clark (View posts)
Posted: 26 Jan 2005 5:55PM GMT
James Bigby, husband of Catherine Foreman, had a 1/2 brother named Thomas Wilson and a 1/2 sister named Betsy Brown (according to the Eastern Cherokee application of Malinda Redman, nee Bigby, their youngest daughter). Mrs. Betsy Brown (nee Douglas) was a widow of Capt. John Brown, a Cherokee veteran of the War of 1812. According to testimony in Betsy Brown's claims file by David Taylor, Mrs. Brown was related in some way to Taylor's wife (Mary Ann or Polly Bigby). Therefore, the mother of James had children by men named Bigby, Wilson, and Douglas (or Brown).

An 1801 letter from the Secretary of War to R.J. Meigs (Agent to the Cherokees) noted that a young Cherokee had attended a [Quaker?] school near Philadelphia and was returning to the Cherokee Nation. He was a nephew of Charles Renatus Hicks (Meig's interpreter). Charles Hicks was later elected as the first mixed-blood Principal Chief of the Cherokee Nation. Hicks served only a few weeks before he died in 1827, and was succeeded briefly by his brother William A. Hicks. William was replaced by John Ross.

Diaries kept by Moravian missionaries at Spring Place, GA stated that Mrs. James Vann (nee Margaret Ann Scott) was a niece of the mixed-blood Charles Renatus Hicks. Her father was Walter Scott (British agent during the Revolutionary War) and her mother was Sarah Hicks (sister of Charles and William Hicks). Two sisters of Margaret (Betsy and Polly Scott) were also wives of Chief James Vann. Margaret Scott was visited by her cousin Thomas Wilson (noted by the missionaries as a nephew of Charles Hicks). Mrs. Vann was also visited by another cousin, James Hicks and his wife, a "daughter of Old Man Foreman". Thus James Bigby's mother was a sister of Charles Hicks, but she not Sarah Hicks).

Spring Place was also visited by a white man named Samuel Bigbv, acting as a representative of William Abraham Hicks (Charles and Sarah's brother). Therefore, it is quite plausable that this Samuel Bigby was the previously unknown white father of James Bigby, Sr. T

he Cherokee historian and genealogist has information about Elizabeth Hicks with a number of husbands as another sister of Charles Hicks, but James Bigby's mother was not likely to be Elizabeth; my guess is that she was named Mary (or Polly) since the common female names in the Hicks family were Sarah, Elizabeth, and Mary.

I am a descendant of James Bigby and Catherine Foreman (via Mrs. Andrew Taylor, nee Jennie Bigby). Andrew Taylor was a brother of David Taylor mentioned above. Another ancestor was Sally Scott (Mrs. George McDonald), a sister of Margaret Ann Scott. George McDonald was an uncle of Chief John Ross.

Posted: 27 Jan 2005 9:49PM GMT
Thank you for the wealth of information! Really appreciate it.
Sincerely,
Lisa Engstrand
Great Granddaughter of Benjamin Felix McPherson; son of Lucinda Painter (Panther) McPherson

Posted: 27 Jan 2005 9:58PM GMT
Would also appreciate information on the Betsy Brown, widow of Capt. John Brown. Benjamin Felix McPherson, son of Lucinda Painter (Panther) McPherson was married to Ida Beulah Brown. She was the daughter of William Nelson Brown. She was born in Vernon Co., MO, before moving to Pryor Creek, I.T. William Nelson Brown also moved to Pryor and I believe is buried in Fairview Cemetery. Just wondering if these Browns are relatives of Captain John Brown. William Nelson Brown was married to Serelda Coyle of Estill Co., KY. It seems connecting the families is based on their direction and location of travels which I have been trying to follow with a few bumps in the road!
If you have more info on this family or any connections, I would certainly appreciate what you have. Thank you again.
Lisa Engstrand

jerry l clark (View posts)
Posted: 28 Jan 2005 12:22PM GMT
There were a number of mixed-blood Cherokee families surnamed Brown. The progenitor of one of these families was Robert Brown, a white man employed by Chief James Vann. He may have had several Cherokee wives (one was Sarah Hicks, sister of Charles Renatus Hicks). Two of his older sons, James Brown and John Brown, were captains in the Cherokee Regiment that fought at the Battle of Horseshoe Bend during the War of 1812. James Brown married Jennie Vann (sister of Chief James Vann) and served as an executor of Vann's estate. It is possible that another brother (William Brown?) was the father of Quatie Brown, first wife of Chief John Ross. One of Chief Vann's many wives was Nannie Brown (mother of "Rich Joe Vann"), who was likely a daughter of Robert Brown and sister of James and John.

The War of 1812 bounty land warrant record (#27603) for Capt. John Brown shows that he died in Tennessee ca. 1843, and his widow was Elizabeth Brown, nee Douglass. John Brown owned a busy ferry site on the Tennesse River (at Moccasin Point, near present-day Chattanooga, TN). There was considerable litigation in Tennessee courts about this ferry, and claims papers were submitted by Betsy Brown in the 1840's. John Brown is listed on the 1835 Cherokee Cenus as residing at Lookout Valley, Hamilton County, TN (6 in family), along with his eldest son Robertson Brown. Other children were James Brown, Thomas Brown, and Elizabeth Brown. More details about this family can be found on the Internet web site "Jim Hicks Cherokee Lineages" (use Google). This family does not appear to be the Brown family cited in your posting.

Posted: 30 Jan 2005 8:49PM GMT
Many thanks again, Jerri! I will keep this info you have so kindly shared. Really appreciate your work and your help.
Sincerely,
Lisa Engstrand
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions