Search for content in message boards

Gaggin's from Cork?

Gaggin's from Cork?

Posted: 16 Sep 2008 1:56AM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Gaggin, Brabyn
I am trying to find a John Gaggin who i believe may have come from Cork. He was born somewhere between 1795 and 1802.
He came to Australia from England in 1819 on the ship Globe with his uncle Frederick Drennan and his cousins known as the Walsh sisters, i believe their names were Eliza and Ann though i'm not 100%. John went on to marry Mary Louisa Brabyn and have 9 or 10 children. Any information on John Gaggins life before he left for Australia would be much appreciated..

Re: Gaggin's from Cork?

Posted: 15 Aug 2009 10:19PM GMT
Surnames: Gaggin,Brabyn,Drennan
Hi tktab, I saw the Message Board enquiry you wrote last year and the fact that you had no replies. Did you ever manage to find out about John Gaggin before he arrived in Sydney with uncle Fred and the Walsh girls? I'm in the same bind you were in last year, with plenty of info from the Globe till when he "disappeared" to Victoria, but nothing before that. Regards Ian

Posted: 15 Aug 2009 11:06PM GMT
Hi Ian,

Sorry to say but I have received no new information on John Gaggin.

Regards
Charlie

Posted: 9 Dec 2009 11:43PM GMT
Surnames: Gaggin/Goggin
Hi,

You will find the name could probably be Goggin. There are many Goggin family around the Skibbereen/Drimoleague area of Cork.

I have Goggin's in my family and I found most of them in the areas mentioned.

Pauline

Posted: 26 Jan 2010 8:12PM GMT
According to Griffith's valuation, which is over 50 years after your John Gaggin emigrated, there was a landlord named Christina Gaggin with property on Gaggin's Lane (off Military Road) in the parish of St Anne, Shandon in the Union of Cork in Co Cork.

There are a few other scattered Gaggins in Ballybane, Cloyne, Middleton; in Ballynamona, Kilmahon, Middleton; and Shanagarry South, also in Kilmahon.

The pickings are very slim for Gaggin. So I would not rule out Goggin in your search. Now Goggins, they are all over the place!

http://www.askaboutireland.ie/griffith-valuation/index.xml

meant to say

Posted: 26 Jan 2010 8:13PM GMT
Griffith's was done over 50 years after your John Gaggin was born, sometime in the 1850's.

Posted: 27 Jan 2010 12:41PM GMT
Thanks for your reply, and thanks also for the link to griffith-valuation.
Given the number of properties Christina Gaggin owned, I think I'll claim her as a relative for the time being!
Regards
Ian

Posted: 13 Jan 2013 3:45AM GMT
I noticed on your family trees you have ajohn heenan Is he related to a jane heenan 1779 from limerick parents john heenan and mary fennell
jen

Posted: 13 Feb 2013 2:58AM GMT
I have Gaggins in my family tree. The furthest I have gotten is Thomas Gaggin but I dont have any information on him.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | Terms and Conditions