Search for content in message boards

David Fulk family (Foulke, Folke)

David Fulk family (Foulke, Folke)

Posted: 27 Apr 2013 9:50PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: FULK
Seek info on David Fulk born abt 1748? Would like to know parents? Possibly Mathew Fulk and Senedo (native American).
Brothers? Possibly John born abt 1739 and Adam born abt. 1740-?
David Fulk was in Franklin, Va in 1818 when he applied for pension based on his service in the revolution from 1775 -1778-1779. He likely died there as he claimed to be age 70 at the time.
My information comes from DAR records and from Footnote.
David said he had 3 children: 2 daughters and a son with 1 of them living in KY and 2 of them living in Western PA. However, they may have already been dead by this time. I have found no names for children or wife.
David was still living in Pendleton Co., Va in Sept. 1820.
Can anyone help to figure out whether David Fulk was a sibling to JOhn Fulk of VA? And does he have living descendants??????????????
Thank you!
s

Re: David Fulk family (Foulke, Folke) - possible association to Ludwig Fulk aka Falck

Posted: 27 Apr 2013 10:37PM GMT
Surnames: Fulk, Falck, Maus, Mouse, Schuler
There was a Ludwig Fulk (by any several spellings) who was killed in the massacre at the fort at Upper Tract as was his wife in what is now Pendleton Co. (then Augusta Co.) in 1758.

It's possible - maybe likely - that he was aka Ludwig Falck who arrived on the Ship Sally on 17 Oct 1750. He is probably the same Johann Ludewig Falk who was married later that year to Anna Christina Schuler in Philadelphia.

Frederick Maus (mis-transcribed in the recording in Pennsylvania German Church Records as Maut)was a witness to his marriage. The same Frederick Maus was the brother of George Maus (aka Mouse) was also the victim of a massacre at Seybert's fort the day following the massacre at Upper Tract. (There is additional evidence of a familial relationship between the Maus, Schuler, and Falck families in the records of St. Michaelis and Zion Lutheran Church of Philadelphia).

I don't postulate a relationship between David and Ludwig but mention it only as a possible lead.

Re: David Fulk family (Foulke, Folke) - possible association to Ludwig Fulk aka Falck

Posted: 28 Apr 2013 6:59PM GMT
Thank you for your information! I greatly appreciate it as it does indeed give me somewhere else to look.
I have been trying for years to connect Ludwig Falck to Mathew Folk as some descendants of Mathew Fulk believe them to be brothers. I have 2 possible emigrations that could be Mathew but no proof. I also wondered if Mathew may have accompanied Ludwig and being below 16 years was not listed. There is mention of Mathew Fulk in Manheim, Pa? and again at Massanutten with Jacob Stover in 1732? But there is nothing to suggest with certainty that Mathew and his supposed Senedo wife are indeed the parents of John Fulk of Brock's Gap and his prolific lineage.
A Mr. Mallow allowed my husband and I to view the historical marker in his soybean field several years ago when I attempted to follow a lead based on info I unraveled from another Fulk descendant. As I mentioned, some of John Fulk's older sons passed on the tradition of Ludwig being a brother to JOhn's father, supposedly Mathew.
I have read many accounts of the massacres in Pendleton, I love the little town of Franklin, by the way - we saw the cutest parade while there, maybe it was July 4th. I also have the inventory from Ludwig's will but have never found a possible name for his wife and no mention of children.
With the name being so uncommon, until the birth of JOhn's 11 children and their multiple offspring, I think it quite likely there is a relationship between these Fulks from the 1700's but would sure like to be able to prove it.
If you have further information on any of these Fulk/Falck/Folk/Foulke/Folke/Fackh/Fokt I would really appreciate hearing it.
I am going to see if I can contact the churches you mentioned in Philadelphia.
Thank you so much again!
s

Posted: 28 Apr 2013 8:25PM GMT
Edited: 28 Apr 2013 8:34PM GMT
I don't have much more on Ludwig Falck.

The full citations for the two Ludwig Falck Church records are:

St. Michaelis and Zion Records (Pennsylvania German Church Records, Vol. I, pg. 599)

Falk, Johann Ludewig,
Schulerin, Anna Christina; m. December 24 [1750]
Witness: Daniel Eder, Johannes Berg, Friedrich Maut [sic - Maus], Jurg Kurtz

St. Michaelis and Zion Records (Pennsylvania German Church Records, Vol. I, pg. 538)

Ronau, Susannah Margretha, dr. Peter Ronau and w. Cathrina Margretha (newcomers)
b. Aug. 30; bap. Sept 23 [1752]
sp. Ludwig Falck, Susanna Margretha Mausin [Susanna Margretha was the wife of Frederick]

There are several additional records for the family of Frederick Maus (he remained in Philadelphia).

Annette K. Burgert indicates that Samuel Maus (of unknown relationship to Frederick) was married to an Elizabeth Schuler. Both Maus men (as well as George Mouse who was killed at Seybert's fort) had roots in Hornback as well as being mentioned in the records of St. Michaelis and Zion Lutheran Church in PA.

A working hypothesis for Ludwig Falck is:

Arrived in Philadelphia on the Sally in Oct. 1750. (This may have been a vessel in which illness wiped out a large number of passengers so keep open the possibility that Ludwig may have lost a wife on the trip.

Ludewig Falk married Anna Christina Schuler 24 Dec 1750 in Philadelphia. (Witnesses include Friedrich Maus who was the brother of George Mouse who would be killed in April 1758).

Lodwowick Folk appears on a list in Hening's Statutes for re-imbursement for supplies to the militia during the French and Indian war.

Loudwig Folk appears on a list in Hening's Statutes for re-imbursement for what seems to have been militia duty under Capt. Abraham Smith (whose bailiwick included the South Branch). The names nearest him were associated with the Upper Tract area.

It's likely Falck arrived on the South Branch between 1753 and 1757 - and, of course, he was killed at the end of April, 1758. It's possible he's mentioned in some of the probate material which Eric Hedrick has recently digitized but I haven't looked for him specifically.

(I inadvertently typed 1758 - rather than 1750 - for the arrival of the Sally and have corrected in this posting.)
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions