Search for content in message boards

DODDRIDGE BAILEY

DODDRIDGE BAILEY

Becky Barreca (View posts)
Posted: 8 Oct 1999 12:00PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Bailey, Belcher, Boggs, Godbey, Haverty, Helmick, King, Lambert, Siers
I was looking for info (parents, siblings, anything!) on my 4-great-grandpa, DODDRIDGE BAILEY, born in Augusta County, VA in 1788. He married Phebe BELCHER on 23 Apr 1812 in Tazewell County, VA. He died on Aug 1872 in Calhoun County. His children are: John, William, James Harvey, Martha H., and Elizabeth Baileys. Any help will be wonderful! PLEASE HELP!

Belcher/Bellshee

Posted: 3 Jun 2001 12:00PM GMT
Edited: 1 Jul 2001 5:44AM GMT
Surnames: Bellshee, Clancy, Green, Asbury, Mcmillan, Bailey
.Hello Becky, Being I am answering a 2 year old query, you probably have found all the answers by now.
PHEBE BELSHEE who married DODDRIDGE BAILEY is a sister of my ancestor DAVID BELSHEE who married ELENOR (NELLIE) ASBURY. David was the second son of ROBERT BELSHEE JR. and
MARY CLANCY, daughter of JAMES CLANCY and NANCY ...?..
My records show most of Robert's children were born in
Rockingham Co.VA, but all were married in Tazewell Co. VA
I am trying to find when and where David Sr. died in Tazewell Co. or in Linn Co. MO??? His wife Elenor died in Linn co. MO Also her daughter, JANE BELSHEE who married
ROBERT SMITH. Need information on the children of David Sr.
and Elenor Belshee. I only have JANE and DAVID JR., were there more children???? Any help will be appreciated.
Sarah Douglas

Re: Belcher/Bellshee

Posted: 31 Dec 2001 7:12PM GMT
Sarah, I just found your query!! I am a descendant of David & Eleanor (Asbury) Belshee through their son Robert James Belshee who married Eleanor Smith (parents unknown). I have been searching for David & Eleanor's other children for a number of years!! Just recently I found the information to confirm that Jane who married Robert Smith was their daughter. I would be very much interested in information on David Jr. as well as Jane & Robert Smith. Where did David Jr. settle?
According to information that I have, David & Eleanor moved to MO where he farmed as he had in VA. I have not been able to find where he died. His wife Eleanor Belshee purchased land in Linn Co, MO in 1843, so I've assumed he died before then. She died in Linn Co, MO. The transcript of her will indicates that Robert Smith & Smith Ward were Administrators of her estate. I am wondering if the Mary/Polly Belshee who married Smith Ward in Tazewell Co, VA is another child of David & Eleanor?? It appears that the Belshee's & Smiths moved together or about the same time from Tazewell Co, VA to Linn Co., MO. ANY help would be appreciated. Nina Dejmal

Posted: 9 Jan 2002 8:55AM GMT
Edited: 27 Aug 2002 9:01AM GMT
Surnames: Belshe, Asbury, Smith, Young, Cox
Happy to hear from you. I knew Nellie and David had more children besides Jane and David Jr., now we have Robert James (your line). What date do you have for Robert & Elenor Smith's marriage? Could she be a sister of Janes' husband Robert? Jane had 16 children and md. Robrt, 3 Dec
1830 in TAZ. Co. Parents, Joseph Smith & Tabitha Asbury.
Robert b. 3 July 1808. David Jr. md. Nancy Jane Young abt.
1833, probably Linn Co. MO, as a lot of Young families there and Wright Co.MO. The voter list for Morgan Co. IL, 16 Feb 1832, listed David Belshe and Hiram Young. The Belshe-Cox history lists David & Nancy Jane as parents of David F. Belshe,b.1834 & md. Margaret E. Shields, 20 Aug 1857 in Morgan Co.IL. They had 11 children, one being Nancy Jane
b.12 Mar 1864, md. Charles Cox Jr. 30 Jan 1884, Morgan Co. They were my husband Don's grandparents. The info on David Jr. (father of David F.) is slim. More searching is needed here and the Young line. I hope you can sort this out. Sarah Douglas <sarad@redrivernet.com>

Posted: 22 Mar 2002 4:17PM GMT
Edited: 22 Mar 2002 5:08PM GMT
Surnames: BELSHEE,BELCHEE,BELSHE,BELCHE
I am another descended of Robert James Belshee through his son Charles Hay Belchee.

Would it be possible that David Sr. died somewhere in Oregon? Robert James and his sons Charles and Joseph all ended up there...

I only had Robert James and no siblings for David and Nellie. Anyone know of any more besides Robert, David and Jane?

Another question I have is: I have the name (and variations) of Belshee going back to Bellshire. Where did this begin and why? Are there any records showing some proof of the change? Is it possible that Belshee or Belchee came from Belcher?

Oh, the date I have for Robert and Ellen's marriage is Oct 26, 1844 in Warsaw, Hancock Co., Illinois. I only have that Ellen was the daughter of an English sea captain. It is very possible that Ellen was sister to Robert. I had heard elsewhere that the Belshee and Smith families were close.

Wonder if your Tabitha Asbury is any relation to Nellie?

Crystal Lampl

Nina (View posts)
Posted: 22 Mar 2002 6:15PM GMT
I am a descendent of Robert James Belshee through his son Joseph.

I believe that David Sr. died in Linn Co, MO but have been unable to find death or cemetery records for him. Two other descendants of David also believe he died there. Together we have established that the children of David & Eleanor (Asbury) Belshee include: our Robert James, b. 1 June 1815: David Belshee, Jr. b. about 1810; Jane Belshee b. 27 June 1811 who m. Robert Smith & d. in Linn Co, MO in 1867. I also "suspect" that there is another sister - maybe Mary or Polly b. abt. 1809 who m. a Smith Ward, but have not been able to document this yet.

About the spelling of the surname: in documents or extracts thereof that I have seen out of Tazewell Co, VA, the name changes from Bellshire/ Belshire to the Belshee or Belshe spelling, often in the same document. The name is sometimes writen as Belcher or Belsher in census records, but one has to be VERY careful as there were Belchers in Tazewell Co, VA that are not related to our family.

Also, are you aware that Joseph & Charles H, sons of Robert James, had a sister named Causby who evidently left IL and settled in OH?

I have been unable to find a record of Robert & Ellen Smiths m. in IL. Do you have this documentation?

In answer to the question about Tabitha, information that I have "gleaned" indicates that Tabitah is the sister of our Eleanor "Nellie" and both are children of George Asbury & Mary Ann Taylor. I have not documented this as of yet.

Posted: 28 May 2013 8:42PM GMT
Edited: 28 May 2013 8:47PM GMT
Surnames: Belchee/Bellshee/Merkley/Shanley
Hi. I am not sure I can be of any help. I have a Joseph Belchee (could be spelled Bellshee as well) married to a Elizabeth Merkley. Joseph was born in Virgina and Elizabeth was born in Ohio. their daughter susan was born in Illinois. They eventually settled in Kansas. Susan married a Francis Shanley who was from Ireland, but still stayed in Kansas.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | Terms and Conditions