Search for content in message boards

John B. Shelhorse family

John B. Shelhorse family

Jean Allen (View posts)
Posted: 14 Jul 2000 12:00PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Shelhorse
I am looking for information about my ancestor John Barnett
Shelhorse. I know that his wife was Mary Hoofman. Their son Henry was my g-g-g-grandfather. I do know that John B. came to the U.S. from Germany in the late 1700's. Any information would be appreciated.

Re: Shelhorse family

Posted: 19 May 2004 6:35PM GMT
Surnames: Shorter, Burton, Chowning, Childrey, Finch, Gardner, Garland, Games, Garrett, Hubbard, McTyre, Palmore, Westbrook
HI, I'm part of the Shelhorse family of Pittsylvania Co., VA. My line is from Jacob b. 1789 to daughter Martha Jane who married William Finch Gardner. I'd like to find the document which show that Martha Jane was the daughter of Jacob and his wife, so I can see the wife's name. And prove that Martha Jane was the daughter of Jacob. I believe that Jacob Shelhorse is the one that has a service record in the War of 1812. It lists him as in the 6 Reg't (Coleman's, January - May 1814)Virginia Militia, private, roll box 187, roll exct 602.
Any help is greatly appreicated.
Mary in Alabama

Posted: 22 May 2004 1:33AM GMT
Surnames: Armfield, Worley, Hall, Shelhorse, Ward, Lamb
I am also an ancestor of the Shelhorse family of Pittsylvania Co.. I am connected by my g-g-grandmother. Do you have information about this family you could share? I have some, but not much and was disappointed that there is no message board for the name Shelhorse on Rootsweb or Ancestry. I'd like to hear from you if possible.

Posted: 22 May 2004 6:21AM GMT
Edited: 19 Dec 2004 5:07AM GMT
The Shelhorse family is very well documented by a number of people. They just don't put the info on the net. ID your Shelhorse relative and someone will be able to help.

Posted: 23 May 2004 6:43PM GMT
My great grandmother was Nancy Hall, orphaned by her parents during Civil War. Through my own research of the 1840,50 & 60 Pittsylvania Censuses, I've concluded that her parents were a Nancy Shelhorse and James M. Hall, married in Oct. 29, 1846. Nancy Shelhorse was a sister of William H. Shelhorse. William and Mary Shelhorse signed on Nancy & James marriage certificate.
Nancy Hall was raised by an aunt and uncle and listed on the 1860 Census with them. Family tradition has it that her aunt was a Nancy Hall who married Azariah Bailey. I have copies of both these marriage certificates. Also James M. Hall was related as a brother I think to G. W. Hall listed next door to each other on the 1850 Census, the Shelhorse family were also neighbors.

Posted: 23 May 2004 6:47PM GMT
I would love to hear from anyone that is researching the Shelhorse family to compare notes or help me tie up a few loose ends to my family research. Thank you, Diane

Posted: 24 May 2004 12:14AM GMT
Surnames: Shorter, Gardner, Hubbard, Childrey, Palmore, Fince, Shelhorse
Hi, My Shelhorse line is Martha Jane Shelhorse the sister of Nancy Shelhorse. Martha Jane married William F. Gardner. I've read your account for the orphan but didn't they usually have orphans working for a family? I'd like to find the documentation of Martha being the sister of the brothers who were in the War Between the States(5 I believe.)
I have a Tabitha Hubbard who for her marriage license the responsible party said that they didn't know where her parents were or something like that. There might be some orphan court records. Have you checked with FHL?
One day maybe there will be a good DNA test or something else for female descendants but now I believe that the direct line DNA in males are the best.
I hope other Shelhorse descendants answer your query regarding doing Shelhorse research. Maybe there is a Will out there that lists children and some grand children? Either Jacob or Mary Shelhorse.
Mary in Alabama

Posted: 24 May 2004 4:16AM GMT
Edited: 19 Dec 2004 5:07AM GMT
I have a daughter, Martha, born to James M. Hall and Nancy Shelhorse but no Nancy. She died at about 7 years old. Know nothing about James M. Nancy Shelhorse was d/o Jacob Shelhorse and Mary (Polly) haynes.

Posted: 6 Jan 2013 12:47PM GMT
Edited: 6 Jan 2013 12:50PM GMT
My G- Grandfather was Jacob Shelhorse Gardner - GG grand dad Wm Finch Gardner - I am interested in learning more about the family connection -
1/5/13 I visited the area on Shelhorse rd. in Pittsylvania and was informed that the area at one time was the Shelhorse Farm - I live in Martinsville Va. Thanks

Posted: 6 Jan 2013 3:58PM GMT
I am the great grandniece of Jacob Shelhorse Gardner. What can I help you with.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions