Search for content in message boards

William Farquhar born about 1751 ABOYNE Aberdeen.

William Farquhar born about 1751 ABOYNE Aberdeen.

Posted: 7 Oct 2004 11:34PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Farquhar, hopkins, copson
Anyone any info on WILLIAM FARQUHAR born about 1751 in ABOYNE Aberdeen?
Married JANET SMITH (b.1756)
Children: George, Ann,Helen, Joseph, Christian,William, Euphemia,ROBERT, and Alexander. All born in ABOYNE

Robert (b !803) married Mary Reid.Children: Robert,William, Alexander and Robina (twins) all born in Aboyne and Elizabeth Wood Farquhar born in Port Glasgow in 1847. The family then moved to Liverpool, as they appear on the 1851 census there.

Elizabeth Married John Hopkins in 1872 in west derby lancs.

Anyone have any info on William such as definite D.O.B as 'about' is all I can find and his aprents etc.

many thanks
Faith.

Re: William Farquhar born about 1751 ABOYNE Aberdeen.

Ewen Macleod (View posts)
Posted: 4 Oct 2006 6:27PM GMT
Surnames: Farquhar
I found your post from 2 years ago with a Google search cos I was trying to find out about Euphemia Farquhar who it appears is my great great great grandmother.

From the searches I've made, it seems William Farquhar and Jannet Smith from Aboyne were her parents although I wonder whether the dates I have are correct as Euphemia was born 31/05/1801. 50 seems old to be having children in the 18th century but your birth date for Robert seems to back this up. Euphemia married a Peter Boyd at St Cuthberts Edinburgh on 05/05/1830 and they had a daughter Margaret, who in turn married a George Gardner in Shotts in 1862

Assuming this is the same William Farquhar and Jannet Smith, your post has helped with dates as I hadn't been able to trace anything on them.

Faith (View posts)
Posted: 5 Oct 2006 8:01AM GMT
Hi
Yes it would appear we have William and Jannet as common ancestors! I have Euphemia with the exactly the same birthdate. I have two more children after Euphemia, my g.g Robert 1801 and Alexander born 1805. I have Jannet's birthdate as 1758 which would make her 47 when Alexander was born. She had at least 9 children . It was not uncommon for women to be having children in those days until they were into their early fifties and nature stepped in! I have been unable to find much more about either Jannet or William as yet so I'd be very grateful for any info anyone has.
I am very interested to find why Robert took his family down to Glasgow sometime between 1845 and 1847. Were agricultural 'advances' a reason? Was he lured by promise of work in Glasgow. What ever it was didn't last long as he moved on again after 1847 (My g gma was born in 1847 in Port Glasgow) the family appears on the 1851 census for Liverpool. Any Farquhars in Liverpool have any info?

Posted: 8 Jan 2008 8:51AM GMT
My great grandfather was one of the twins Alexander,he married Ann Austin and they had 7 children. James was my grandfather, his wife Elizabeth Bragg died in childbirth. James emigrated to Canada in around 1913 (I think) taking my Uncle with him. With regards to William and Janet Farquhar, they had 10 children, 2 William's. Joseph married Isabella Calder, Christian Janet married James Torry in 1816. William born 1799 married Margaret Smith in 1823. Robert of course married Mary Reid in 1826 and Alexander Farquhar married Elizabeth Bain in 1835. Hope this information helps. Kind regards Aileen

Posted: 8 Jan 2008 10:12AM GMT
Thanks Aileen
This info helps a lot to fill in a few gaps. Have you (or anyone reading the posts) any info on William and Jannet and beyond?I have been unable to find anything out from the internet a trip up to Aberdeen might help! Also has anyone with links to William and Jannet found any connection to Arthur Farquhar who served on one of Nelson's ships at Trafalgar (as a Captain I understand) he was later an Admiral. Arthur lived in Aboyne so I wondered if there was a link.
Anyway Thanks again Aileen,
I am really stuck on this one so ANY info anyone has would be great!
Faith

Posted: 10 Aug 2008 12:01AM GMT
Hi there my name is scott farquhar from Aberdeen and i have been looking up all about my family history, if you can give me any information regarding the history of our very cool surname with regards to our American history it would be very much apreciated. I think that from what i can gather the origin of Farquhar is from the scottish/engilsh border in the Sterling area where one of our distant relatives married and changed the name to Farquharson from what i have managed to gather i'am guessing that at some time the majority of Farquhar's descided to move to America, From what i have found there are only a handful of people with the the same name still living in Aberdeen (uk) so like i said if you can give me any information regarding this matter it would be most apreciated.

Posted: 28 Dec 2012 6:18AM GMT
Surnames: Farquhar, Cromar, Reid
I'm hoping this message reaches those of you who previously posted in this thread.

I keep running into William and Janet as the parents of my Robert Farquhar, born about the same time and place. However, my Robert married Helen Cromar, and she is most definitely not Mary Reid.

Has anyone else learned anything new since last they posted?

Brad Farquhar
genealogy@farquhar.ca
Regina, Canada
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions