Search for content in message boards

Sync Created Duplicate Marriage Facts

Sync Created Duplicate Marriage Facts

Posted: 23 Jul 2012 7:22AM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 23 Jul 2012 7:25AM GMT
Today I made a few changes to my online tree and then did a sync to Family Tree Maker for Mac 2. The change log that popped up showed a lot more changes about to be made than I expected... but I didn't realize something was wrong and I let the sync go ahead.

The result was that the software created duplicates for several marriage and divorce facts on various people all over my tree. I think a few census facts were duplicated as well. About 40 additions in all. Fortunately the duplicate facts created new unresolved places in my Places menu, so I was able to use that to figure out all the people affected (I hope). I then went in and removed the duplicates manually; two hours of my time lost in checking every individual who might be affected and fixing his/her profile.

Upon syncing again, there were no longer duplicates, but afterward some of these marriages and divorces were present in the online tree but missing from the FTM tree. So the only way I could resolve the situation was to make sure the online tree was correct, unlink and delete the FTM tree, and then download the online tree into FTM fresh.

Has anyone else encountered this bug since the update a few days ago? It worries me... I thought the worst that could happen with syncing is that you'd have to unlink and redownload your tree. Having the system actually create facts in random places on your tree is far worse.

Re: Sync Created Duplicate Marriage Facts

Posted: 31 Jul 2012 1:06PM GMT
ejg25,

Have you reported this to Support?

You can go to the Help, Online Help Center, either Contact Us or Give Feedback?

Russ

Posted: 31 Jul 2012 3:05PM GMT
The same thing happened to me. And it was sync soon after the problem with syncing with the online tree in general was corrected a week or two ago.

I've been manually cleaning up the duplicates as I come across them, but I'm going to have to make a more systematic effort. I noticed that the duplicates don't have source information attached, so it's easy just to select that version of the marriage and delete it.

Posted: 31 Jul 2012 4:25PM GMT
Edited: 31 Jul 2012 4:26PM GMT
Interesting that it happened to you too.

I ended up reviewing every person in my tree, just to be sure I'd fixed all the instances.

Now I know that if the suggested change log has more changes in it than expected, I should cancel and quit, and hope it gives a correct count the next time I try to sync.

Posted: 1 Aug 2012 2:20AM GMT
Another case for backing up your data before syncing. (Doesn't FTM suggest such before the sync goes through? If it doesn't, it should.)

Posted: 1 Aug 2012 3:11AM GMT
It does, and I did. But I got into corrections before I thought of using the backup... and I suspect reverting to the backup would unlink my tree, causing me to have to download fresh from the online tree anyway (I prefer not to start from the FTM tree and upload to online, because it would break my invitations to family and likely reset all online hints).

Posted: 1 Aug 2012 12:53PM GMT
Jilaine,

No, it doesn't. However, I think that one of the reasons that I don't have sync issues, is that I Compact my file BEFORE I use the SyncNow feature. THAT DOES offer the Back Up feature.

Russ

Posted: 1 Aug 2012 12:55PM GMT
ejg25,

The Back Up will NOT unlink your tree. If you have to restore from a Back Up, that will cause you to upload and link to a New tree, because it is really a new file that you are restoring to.

Russ

Posted: 1 Aug 2012 3:53PM GMT
Edited: 1 Aug 2012 3:53PM GMT
As I said, if you restore from a backup you will lose the link between your online tree and your FTM tree. I can't upload a new tree from FTM to Ancestry.com, because I don't want to lose my family's invitations and have all my reviewed tree hints reset; so I only download from the Ancestry.com tree to FTM. This makes using the backup impractical. If one could restore from a backup and have that tree stay linked to the online tree, that would be a different story.

Posted: 10 Aug 2012 1:46AM GMT
This happened to me as well -- no pattern to it but random facts duplicated all over the place. I am trying to take them out as I go along. My tree is kind of a mess now, which is pretty upsetting.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | Terms and Conditions